- File Size: 827 KB
- Print Length: 313 pages
- Page Numbers Source ISBN: 1503024709
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Blackbird Digital Books (January 15, 2015)
- Publication Date: January 15, 2015
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00PY7NN5I
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,204,896 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
|Print List Price:||$14.99|
Save $12.00 (80%)
The Modigliani Girl Kindle Edition
|Length: 313 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Matchbook Price: $0.00
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Discover the Magic
Of Harry Potter with Kindle in Motion. Read on any device. Learn more
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
... Enjoying it sitting at my balcony in San Jose, Costa Rica...
When would-be author Anna Bright receives an art book as a gift, she decides to write her first novel based on the life of the tragic Jeanne Hébuterne, mistress of the painter and sculptor Armedeo Modigliani. Anna travels to one of the Greek islands to take part in a creative writing class to help her with her project and when she returns to London, she takes part in the 'Lit Factor' competition in the hope of winning a publishing contract.
I thought that there would be more story about Jeanne and her life with Modigliani. Instead it focused on Anna and her doomed relationships, leading to a sort of paranoia. However, having said that, I did enjoy it. It's well written and there is some humour. I liked Anna, I thought she was an interesting character. I thought the author quotes at the beginning of each chapter were a nice touch and a good introduction to what lay ahead.
Even though it wasn't what I was anticipating, I found it an intriguing and engaging tale and it had me happily turning the pages. Overall an enjoyable and easy read.
The back cover copy almost had me passing on this novel--nothing wrong with the copy, I’m just wary of stories that feature a writer as the main character in case the author uses the novel to harp on about how difficult is the life of the poor suffering writer. Of course it’s difficult. If it wasn’t, everybody would do it—oh wait…
Anyway, I had no cause to worry on that count. This is a beautifully written novel (and I mean that in every sense of the word). The characters that confront Anna are nicely drawn and yet so stereotypical at times that the story often drips deliciously with satire. Especially the third act, which features a Reality TV show where viewers vote each week on a new chapter released by one of twelve competing authors. The contestants are whittled down to an eventual winner who gets a publishing deal (of course) and instant fame (naturally).
The tragic life of Jeanne Hébuterne, who, although she was an accomplished artist herself, committed suicide following the death of Modigliani rather than live on in a world in which he didn’t exist, forms a juxtaposition that constantly gives Anna cause to question her friends and her own life decisions.
I’m glad I didn’t skip by this unusual, fascinating and multi-layered novel.
FYI: English spelling and locations, but nothing that would cause an American reader any confusion.
Disclaimer: This review was originally written for "Books and Pals" book blog. I may have received a free review copy.
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Humor & Entertainment > Humor > Satire
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Humor & Satire > Humorous
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Humor & Satire > Satire
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Individual Artists
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Humor & Entertainment > Humor > Satire
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > British
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Humor & Satire > General Humor
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Humor & Satire > Satire
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > British > Humor & Satire