Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Tall Heights Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Moe , Nobuaki & Tanaka - helpful peers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 6, 2008 5:14:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2008 5:17:55 PM PST
I absolutely love this book and can't wait to read the volumes following this one.

One character who really impressed me was Moe-Chan, Hikaru's classmate. The pair meet in day care and it is interesting to watch the way they interact. Moe's ribbons attracted Hikaru, who would pull them out as he thought they looked like ropes. Moe understood about her classmate - she was very tolerant of him and let him come to her in his way.

Moe made no requests nor placed any demands on Hikaru; she was not a loud or pushy peer and she accepted Hikaru on his terms. When the boy climbed a tree on the schoolyard, it was Moe who climbed after him, telling him that they'd be okay if they just sang. Moe talked him into calmness until help arrived.

The pair meet later in the early grades. Hikaru leaned on Moe to pass along a desired toy and to interpret for him. She was a very tolerant personality and very nonthreatening to Hikaru. The same could be said for Tanaku, a boy in Hikaru's class who was also in a toddler/playground group with Hikaru. He, too showed tolerance for his peer with autism.

Nobuaki was a very interesting character. He was outgoing, loud, aggressive but all within a normal range. His type of personality was fun-loving and boisterous. He understandably reacted with anger when Hikaru, his day care classmate scribbled on a drawing he was making. In time, he learned to accept Hikaru and others noticed that Nobuaki has "gotten kinder" and showed genuine excitement when Hikaru acknowledged him in some way.

Moe was, I believe instrumental in paving the way for Hikaru socially. The child of a single mother who also shared her home with her grandmother, Moe learned early in life that when someone is ill or hurt, you help them. Her grandmother, early in the story was recovering from a stroke. Moe's mother and a day nurse took care of her until she was able to walk again. Moe's grandmother, in turn accepted Hikaru with open heart, mind and arms.

In thinking more about it, this whole wonderful book is all about learning tolerance. Hikaru's neighbors from the Philippines, initially scorned by their building manger come through like the Cavalry for Hikaru and accepted him wholeheartedly. In learning more about the neighbors from the Philippines, harsh negative judgments are replaced with sympathy and tolerance. Their life experiences and backgrounds were different from what their Japanese neighbors knew and like Hikaru, had to learn new social mores and customs. It was heartwarming to see how the neighbors, along with Hikaru were accepted by others in their building. It also was a good lesson in that people really are not that different and despite cultural experiences and individuality, people have much more in common than they have differences.

I just love this book and the characters. I find them all very interesting and watching them "evolve" or "grow" has been a real treat.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2008 10:27:39 AM PDT
Akemi says:
Yes, that's why I love this manga so much.

But it's embarassing to read it in public.
It makes my eyes get all wet. I shall have to buy my own copies of it and read it at home and just get all...
leaky... over it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2008 6:09:46 PM PDT
I run into the same problem, Akemi. That's why I read this wonderful book in the privacy of home.

Did you read part 2? It is also deeply moving and wonderful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2008 8:27:50 PM PDT
Akemi says:
It was, especially this nice part at the end, that once again caused my eyes to water in borders for all to see.

I've got to buy myself a copy of these... but I wonder if I should buy them used or new... I really do want this writer to make money for such a sensitive portrayal of autism... but I am also short on cash.

hmmm...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Mar 6, 2008
Latest post:  Jul 24, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child, Vol. 1
With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child, Vol. 1 by Keiko Tobe (Paperback - September 24, 2007)
4.7 out of 5 stars (32)