Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 159 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 293 reviews
on February 21, 2016
I'm only about 2/3s the way through this book, so I will publish another review if my opinion changes, but so far it's been a bit disappointing. Pert is a very intelligent scientist who deserves much recognition for all her work discovering peptides and their relationship to our over-all emotional health. Although she is an amazing and inspiring scientist, she is not such a great writer. I love reading and I was a biology major, so I am enthralled by her work, but even I am having some difficulty getting through this book. The story line is sometimes confusing, and it seems she is spending too much time going through petty controversies she has with her co-workers rather than focusing on her scientific findings. I empathize with her and think a book exposing the bigotry of our patriarchial scientific community would be great, but I think it would be better to make that a completely separate book, and focus more on what this one is titled: the relationship between our emotions and molecular health. Overall, a good read, but you need to have a background in biology to understand what she's talking about.
on September 25, 2016
This book is amazing on a number of levels. It makes you think about the absurd politics that interfere with serving the public good. We have brilliant scientists playing junior high school games involving their egos, machismo and greed. Candace Pert was a hero who was far underrated in her accomplishments and service to humankind. And this book provides the missing link between body and mind. It was a great reference for my book Stressing Out Over Happiness published in 2016. If you want to truly understand the industry of drugs, games and deception from an insider's perspective at the highest level, read Molecules of Emotion.
on June 12, 2013
The true grit of science is still competition, hindering the productive flow of communication that catalyzes manifestations of truly life changing findings. This is not new insight, although it might be to some reviewers who balk at Pert's narrative highlighting this very flawed process. Her story is relevant even today with the internet heralding the 'age of information.' Also, let the woman's story be told. Rosalind Franklin, Jocelyn Bell-- just a few names of great female scientists who worked hard only to find the men they worked with steal their thunder...they stand as examples of what still continues today: sexism in organizations in the US. I find Pert's story as one that (obviously) stirs emotions, which seems appropriate considering this is (partially) what her tale is about. The title of the book, however, is misleading because I didn't necessarily sign on for 'Pert's story--' I signed on for neuroscience. Let it be known this is a not a singular book about emotions in the brain (see Drs. Damasio), but it is certainly one worth adding to a collection about this subject...let's face it, there are many different ways to discuss this fascinating topic, just beware what you are getting into with this one.
on February 8, 2017
This is a wonderful autobiographical book that takes you on a journey as she discovers the way the brain works. It can be a bit technical for the non nerd types, but if you can get past the scientific terminology to understand the underlying story that the brain can and does link memories and emotions using chemical signals that tell other parts of the brain and the body how to respond when that memory is triggered. By understanding this it can potentially be possible to reprogram the brain to disconnect negative emotions and feelings by turning off the cell from sending out those molecules anymore... at least that is how i will be looking at the work she did.
on April 27, 2006
A direct connection between your heart (emotion and feeling) and the rest of your body affects your state of health. According to Pert, "It is the emotions, I have come to see, that link mind and body." Dr. Pert is a research professor in the Department of Biophysics and Physiology at Georgetown University School of Medicine. The book reports on research findings and practical applications to body-mind medicine for health and happiness. Her research began when she was a medical graduate student at John Hopkins University in the early 1970s and carried on as she led a team of researchers with the National Institutes of Health (NIH) from 1975 to 1987. During that tenure her team identified "molecules of emotion." Combinations of tiny bits of protein on the surface of cells form receptors, sensors that collect chemical information carried throughout your body by other molecules called ligands. Receptors and ligands are very particular about the company they keep; to bind together they must be perfectly matched. Some ligands are natural to the body, such as peptides, neurotransmitters, and hormones; some are natural but foreign to the body, such as viruses; and others are artificial chemicals. When a ligand binds with a receptor (in what Pert calls "sex on a molecular level") information is deposited onto and into the receptor in a biochemical exchange that has profound effects. If a receptor waiting for a natural body ligand is unoccupied, because emotional repression has reduced the supply of peptides, for instance, a matching virus can dock and illness results.

Her story of how she made these discoveries reads as much like a modern spy novel as it does a scientific report. She goes on to make lots of imaginative mystical leaps about what these discoveries mean for living a healthy fulfilling life.
on March 6, 2016
My favorite book of 2015. Candace did the groundwork in scientific research of the effect of neurotransmitters and endorphins beginning in the mid 70's and this is her personal and professional story. The facts are undeniable yet our ability to utilize her valuable information still remain untapped in many respects. Pharmaceuticals are one aspect, the actual understanding of our biochemical and psycho-neurological makeup a whole other concept. Great book for anyone studying natural cures, holistic health, energy work, psychology; the applications are endless.
on August 16, 1999
Dr. Perts book is worth reading by any one interested in understanding the interrelationship between our body, mind, emotions and health. Much better than the many dogmatic eastern books so lacking in western-scientific thought, Dr. Pert makes the science easily understandable by laypersons. Those who criticize her "whining" against her former mentors obviously didn't finish the book, or they would have seen her own admission for her need to release the unhealthy emotions she harbored for being slighted by her male colleagues who took the credit for her valuable discovery. It's seems her detractors are the ones who are whining too much! Thought her writing is perhaps shaky at first (she lacks the eloquence of say, E.O. Wilson), she finds her stride midway through, presenting an intriguing account of the science behind the vital two-way communication continuously going on within us. While her descent into religion and spirituality was disappointing (she should have stuck with emotions - which are enough to convey her point), the book still reflects a solid effort.
on May 16, 2016
Incredible scientific look into humankind's raging emotions!

She is phenomenal at bridging the ever widening gap of the mental (or metaphysical) realm and its effects with the physical biological and chemical realm with their effects. What's the difference between the metaphysical and the physical, and what are the similarities? A great look into how we can leverage this knowledge to gain better results in our day to day lives.
on October 19, 2016
I have read lots of books about Spirituality. This is the best book that I have ever read that outlines the connection of science with Mind, Body and Spirit. I highly recommend that everyone read this insightful and informative book. This book had changed my life, because it put all of the metaphysical pieces together. Now, everything finally makes sense. I would give this book 100 stars if I could!
on February 4, 2016
I really want to like this book since it was mentioned in one of my favourites Biology of Belief by Dr. Bruce Lipton. I am finding it difficult to get through the first few chapters. I understand that the author is quite accomplished and I would have been interested in a few pages to illustrate that, but I am wading through pages and pages of egotistical storytelling. I have put the book down several times, it has become a chore for me to pick it up again, I keep doing so because I am sure at some point I will eventually get to the information I bought the book for. A better read for me has been The Healing Code! I'm going to plod away with the book now that I have bought it, but I can't say I would recommend it to anyone!