Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Moleskine Large Squared Notebook
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on August 27, 2005
As a computer engineer and student, I often find myself with a great solution for a program, circuit, algorithm, etc and usually I am without a means to record to; thus, by the time I found a something to write on with, the epiphany is gone.

I very surprised and pleased to discover Moleskin® line of products in my campus bookstore. I decided to take a chance and purchase the large square notebook 5¼" x 8¼" which is one of few items which are not markets to teenage college students, and now I am a loyal customer. But now, I have a new journey companion.

This memo notebook is well made with good quality paper that will bleed ink if you are using a fountain pen or have a heavy hand. The binding is well done; pages only come out when decide to remove them. The cover material is very strong; thus, you can easily write without a supporting surface and thus far, it takes drops, bending, and life in a full backpack without coming apart. Plus, the back cover has note holder pocket which can hold a few: CD/DVDs, floppy disks, a five inch ruler, several 3" X 5"and/or 4" X 6", business cards and more.

In short, these notebooks are functional, adult, with a smart, clean appearance suitable for the classroom or the boardroom. The only thing that could make these notebooks easier to use is a place to secure a writing instrument.
on August 21, 2006
I use this as a business notebook and really like it. I saw a client using it, decided to try it myself, and now one of my colleagues is using it also. The simplicity and provenance of these notebooks make them "hip", but not too cool to use in business situations. It is sturdy, has a page marker, and looks professional in black. The elastic band keeps the book closed and the things I put in it secure. The hardback cover makes it easy to write on in places where there is no suitable surface (e.g. my lap). The 240 pages (counting both sides) are enough for about 4 months of notes for me. I clip my pen under the elastic band at the top of the book and find that it is held in place fairly securely. Personally, I find having a squared book makes it easier to keep things organized on a page, as opposed to a traditionally ruled notebook. The pocket in back is a great place to keep my business cards, and those of the people I meet. Although I like the size because it is small enough to fit where many traditional notebooks won't (airplane tables etc.), my one request is that book be made a little larger so that you can put an 8 1/2 x 11" (or A9) paper, folded in half, neatly in the back pocket.
on February 27, 2006
I have used a number of "blank books" over the years. They have been quite servicable--some have been very good. Whether I have been living in some sort of cave, I do not know, but this is my first Moleskine. Not only is the notebook well crafted, it is also beautiful, comfortable in the hands, and much more than servicable. The pages lay flat without forcing, the binding is excellent, and the paper takes the ink nicely. This is my first Moleskine, but it will not be my last.
on March 27, 2012
This advice applies both to the lined and the squared notebooks: Moleskine has recently changed the inking on the rules to darken them considerably. I have a shelf of Moleskine notebooks stretching back to 2002, and for the first time in a decade, I find I have to buy a different notebook. I work a lot with a pencil, and the darkened rules now compete visually with pencil lines. But I also find them distracting with blue inks and fine lines. I will, when I have a moment, post a photo showing the difference between the two line colors: it is rather dramatic. For now I am using another brand of black notebook -- I don't think it's fair to mention their name -- which has retained the faintness of line that Moleskine used to possess. Still, I must admit that I have become so accustomed the size and shape of Moleskines that the added width of the new notebook continually throw me off: it doesn't fit in certain coat pockets.
on March 29, 2012
I'm sad to say the new books are visually distracting with the move from faint squares in the old printing to dark squares in the new printing. I've sent a note to Moleskine hopefully they can do something for me. I really can't use the new printing style.

Overall solid quality book, with great design expect for the printing. I prefer to use a mechanical pencil for notes, now the squares are darker than my writing. This really isn't usable for me any longer. Had I known this was going to happen I would have bought 10 of these prior to the printing change.
on December 20, 2008
I know it is a little expensive, but the Moleskine line of products are well worth it. I am a high school senior with an interest in math. I keep the Moleskine as a book to write down advanced math that I teach myself for later reference.
on January 3, 2007
I love the graph paper moleskin blank book journal. The elastic cover guard protects it from falling open when I toss it into my backpack. because of the graphic squares I can sketch pictures, write small or large, make charts and even map out places and events as I travel. I also keep one as a daily journal. I use it in my business to keep track of orders, work sceduals and other important data. A great book for anyone that likes writing in journals and keeping scheduals. I even use it as a my GYM/WORK OUT JOURNAL. I recommend it.
VINE VOICEon January 6, 2008
Moleskines are useful for everything and are used for just that. Most of the reported uses seem to be more in the artsy nature, like "jotting down dreams," "sketching my cats," or "looking moody in coffeehouses." All of those are legitimate, but my particular use is a bit more left brain. I am a business executive, and I use Moleskines for all my meetings, notes, phone calls, etc. That way, I have all of my projects in my hand, all of the time (yes, my assistant does photocopy this from time to time for back-up). I have found it to be very effective. The little pocket in the back is great for business cards and boarding passes, and the look of the whole thing is sophisticated with just a touch of mystery.
I started out using the graph version, but found that the vertical lines messed up my penmanship - now, I am a standard ruled line guy. Overall, these are durable little books if not abused. I had one that started to come apart after too many spread-eagle photocopyings, and another that loosened up a bit after a fall - but generally, you shouldn't have a problem. Go ahead - join the Moleskine movement.
on July 29, 2008
I had to do some hunting on Amazon until I found exactly what I was looking for, and I found this handy dandy notebook. I wanted something that i can write in, that would stand up to being juggled in my carryall without getting damaged and look stylish and not flashy. This will be a repeat purchase as I plan to order more of these, and i also have the small pocket sized notebook. For this I give 5 stars , wish I could give it ten. Thanks !
on December 17, 2007
This was the most amazing little book i've even had. While in South America I saw one of my friends from Europe using this and I though it was the most amazing little thing. When I got back it was one of the first things that I purchased and I haven't let it away from me.