Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Moleskine Reporter Notebook, Large, Ruled, Black, Hard Cover (5 x 8.25) (Reporter Notebooks)
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

on January 7, 2011
The evolution of a note taker

1) Started with paper - A 3X5 card and a pen. Worked just great

2) Moved to a Day Time - The smallest size, with a pen. Worked great but couldn't always fit "everything" on it.

3) Moved to Franklin Day Timer - Enjoyed it but worried that I wasn't going to amount to much as I never filled most of the blank spaces in.

4) Moved to the Biggest Franklin Day Timer - Loved it, but there was more room that I couldn't fill. Plus, it was really heavy

5) Palm Pilot - Electronic Franklin Day Timer - Looked cool, worked fine.

6) iPhone - loved it, but the screen was so small - As I got older print got smaller

7) iPad - This may be the answer...but it is hard to tap, tap, tap stuff into it. Yes, I have the bluetooth keyboard, but how high is the dork factor there?

8) Moleskine - Back to paper. Reporter style so I can just flip it up and go. If it gets into that notebook, it's going to happen. After 18 years, paper wins.
55 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2014
I took delivery of five of these about ten days ago, and I have to say that I love them. I can say that already because I've used other Moleskine products for quite a while and these are of the same quality. This is just the first time I've used these large Reporter Notebooks. I'm a writer, and a couple of years back, I picked up a few of the Pocket Reporter Notebooks to jot down ideas, or phrases that I come across and wanted to remember. The pocket notebook works passably well for that purpose, but because of its size, you can't get into a good writing flow because you're constantly moving to the next line, and it fills up pretty quickly. The pocket ones turned out to be better for names, numbers, errands, etc., and if needed, I could still use it for my writing ideas. But, I decided to step up to the larger size Reporter Notebook for most of my writing needs, and I love it. The first reason is that I'm left-handed, and it always bothers me to have to write in a notebook where my writing hand is on the spine. That's especially true for spiral notebooks. But, these Reporter Notebooks are great because the flip-top allows lefties the same easy writing that right handed folks enjoy.

This large Reporter Notebook gives a little more room for expounding on ideas, and adds to the ease of making out my notes later on. The larger size allows me to flesh out my thoughts a bit more rather than just put down key words. There's a slight downside to using the Reporter notebook, because if you want to write on the front and back of each page, you have turn the notebook around back and forth every time you move to the next page side. For me, that's not a problem because I have a particular pen that I use, and it shows through the other side of the page too much to write on top of, and make sense between the two layers. So, I just use the front side of pages. If you use normal ball-points, this won't be an issue for you, so you can double your coverage using the back sides of all the pages.

The little extras are the back pockets for cards, or other thin items you'd like to store, and there's a few detachable pages in the back if you need to jot something down and rip it out to give to someone. The band is great for bookmarking, and I can't say enough about how well the Moleskine products hold up over time. These are my go-to products for all my writing and record keeping needs. And, maybe I'm projecting too much fanciful praise on these notebooks, but there's a certain romance or feeling of comfort in having something that feels robust and specifically designed for what you want to do. To me, it harkens to moments in my past when I'd be in a library and smelling that old-book smell. Once you sense it the first time, there's no substitute. The same goes for this Large Reporter Notebook.
on January 27, 2010
I loved my little moleskine notebook, but I really love this larger size. I wish the top would flip back however. It does not.
on September 6, 2011
I was recently brought into the Moleskine craze by a ton of the leaders at my former church, before I left California.

I now love Moleskine journals!

I got this one because I wanted to be a little bit different. In high school and undergrad, I did a lot of Journalism, so I thought "hey! reporters notebook! fun!"
Which was mostly accurate. Sometimes it was challenging writing on the go - my hand would fall off the edge and my penmanship got scrappy. But such is life. Also, writing on the top half of the fold was a bit challenging when I first got it. Now that it's worn it, it is definitely a lot easier.

Ultimately, I love that this journal moved out to Oklahoma with me, survived a trip to and through London and still looks as sleek and sexy as it was the day I got it!
on March 31, 2012
Needed a large reporter notebook for work. This item exceeds my expectations. It looks very professional. The paper is high quality and does not smear when I use a gel pen. This is my 3rd Moleskine product. I highly recommend spending the extra money, the quality is worth it.
on July 29, 2015
The Reporter Notebook was my first introduction to Moleskin books...
When I can fill to the last page! that is the measure of a journal that has
the right characteristics for taking pen to paper... in a season when kids
aren't even learning to write in cursive. While the soft cover is great for at home...
this hardcover is road worthy and the foldback cover makes it economical on space.
It can share space with a book for note taking or tight coffee cup and no elbow room....

Oh yeah... this is the standard by which I measure all others.
on December 4, 2013
Sturdy, well constructed, and a great size for packing along just about anywhere. But, not so small that it's hard to write in. I especially love the reporter design, as it allows you to push up the page your writing as you near the bottom to maintain an even support under the writing hand. In the book style (side to side) notebooks, one's hand starts falling off the bottom of the page, and with that goes some legibility in penmanship. A very good permanent storage notebook, unlike the spiral bounds which eventually wear at their perforations and begin straying from the herd. Note, the elastic on this notebook began to weaken and fray after a year of frequent use. Eventually I'll have to remove it, but I'll still have a great notebook with some precious notes in it.
on January 28, 2014
Moleskine continues to produce high quality writing products. This one, the Large ruled reporter, is excellent. I use it for random notes and jots, like to do lists, shopping lists, and random things I'd like to remember. As you continue to use the notebook, it allows you to fold it over itself (like cover touching cover... I don't know how else to explain it!).
The hard cover is very thick and will hold up to weeks/months of abuse in my bag and in my car.
I highly recommend this notebook.
on August 10, 2013
High quality product that will last you long with minimal to no upkeep. Great notebook for taking notes and the fact that the seam is on the top versus classically on the sides, allows you go fit more in before you hit the margins. Hardcover version gives you a hard surface to write on as well. Have been using these for a couple of years and is my go to notebook.
on May 31, 2013
It's a pleasure to write on the moleskine's pages. The great quality of paper and it's size were the reasons (for me) to this adquisition. Highly recommendable, without doubt.