Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 10, 2016
These are short stories regarding crime and murder mysteries that were written by women from 100 years ago and up to the present time. Each one has an introduction. The earliest is "A Jury of Her Peers" and in a surprising way the women solve the case by observing things at the crime scene (in the family home) that men (100 years ago) dismissed an insignificant, due to the perceptions and misconceptions men had about women at the time it was written. I won't give away what these are, but it was very interesting to read it and see the clues that the men could not conceive of, or see even though it was right before their eyes. The other stories are just as amazing, interesting and sometimes suspenseful, sometimes detective work, but always a story with a surprise ending. Elizabeth George did an excellent job as the editor of picking the best of the best of women's' crime fiction over the last 100 years. I have re-read this book again and again. Since these are short stories, you can read one story and they leave the rest for another time. The stories are complete on their own, there are no sequels. It is an extremely enjoyable book to take on a road trip to read in the (or on a plane) or just grab to read while the children take a nap or on a lunch break at work.
11 comment| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 13, 2014
This is a comprehensive look at the emergence of women mystery writers and the development of the genre for women over the years. The authors included are the truly greats, and the stories are a delight to read or retread. From the lady-like British sleuth in a quaint village to a tough-minded city detective, we can see the the changes that have occurred, and applaud the women who have courageously advanced the medium for the delight of readers. The series writers who develop their characters as well as their relationships are discussed. This edited book is a departure for George and most welcome. She is such a delightful story teller, even though I still grieve the death of the lady Helen. It is fun to read her more scholarly side and see an overall view from her eyes.highly recommend.
on April 14, 2017
Elizabeth George is one of my favorite authors, so I was intrigued to read an anthology of women mystery writers that she edited. It covers a lengthy time period (beginning in the 1920s) and includes a wide range of authors. Some I was very familiar with, but others were new to me, and I since have read many novels written by these same authors. A winner.
on December 1, 2017
I really loved this book. Especially the biography's of the author before each new story. Not for the biography itself, but for the mention of other books written. Some by the author, some not but used to make a point about something in the following story. Mostly I got a long list of new, to me, authors and books. And that's worth 5 stars, in any book!
on May 23, 2015
This is a book of short stories that we are reading in a senior reading group. Most stories are well plotted and do not have violent bloody crime details which many more modern crime stories do.
on September 9, 2017
With all female writers this book is a necessary complement to that other 'The Best American Mystery Stories of the Century' where only a measly 16 female writers were featured. Mystery always had a significant share of successful women authors and this collection proves why.

With anthologies you tend to get a few stories not to your taste, but in my case many of these stores touched me.
on March 6, 2017
These short stories are arranged in chronological order, according to publication date. I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of the book, but I was disappointed in the second half. Since I had read three stories before, two I taught numerous times in classes, and one I read in another collection within the past month, I would say reading thirty percent of this book was rewarding. Luckily, I downloaded it on a day it was free. Because of the early stories I happily read, I gave this book three stars.
on March 11, 2017
Great anthology. I'm thinking of making a book club out of it. Nice notated...being a retired high school English teacher myself (Seattle)...I appreciate the concise bio and biblio for each author...and the well-chose, well-constructed short stories.
So what's up with Inspector Lynley???
on May 16, 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Many of the authors were new to me and I have added them to my list to read more of their works. It was fun to have a book of well written short stories to pick from when I had a few moments here and there.
on April 23, 2017
This is a truly great anthology of crime fiction by women. Each story is unique and I couldn't possibly choose a favorite.

I do highly recommend this book for hours of reading pleasure.