Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Russell Dickerson GNO for iPhone 8 $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Momofuku
Format: Hardcover|Change
Price:$24.99+ $3.99 shipping

We <3 Momofuku! This book is very fun and yummy. The binding, paper, and photo quality are great.

A lot of the recipes call for secondary recipes, but some of them are pretty quick.

Pictured below:
1) Ginger Scallion Noodles with Pan Roasted Cauliflower, Bamboo Shoots, Quick Cucumber Pickles, and Nori – p57. The Ginger Scallion Noodles take about 5 minutes to pull together the sauce, then it needs to sit for 20 minutes and fresh noodles only boil for about 3 minutes. The Pan Roasted Cauliflower takes about 10 minutes. The Bamboo Shoots take 5 minutes, then simmer for 30. And the Quick Cucumber Pickles take 5 and sit for 20. The Nori just gets plated. Altogether, it took about 40 minutes and it was a divine dinner that tasted really special.
2) Roasted Mushroom Salad over Braised Pistachios with Pickled Sunchokes and Radishes - – p57-58. So delicious and pretty!
3) Momofuku Ramen – p39. Okay, this one’s a time investment, but oh so worth it! My gosh – the ramen broth is so delicious that it silenced our table. The pork belly is to die for! And my youngest thinks the fish cakes look like something out of Hello Kitty, so she was on board before she even tried it. There are seven sub-recipes to pull it together: Ramen broth – p40, Tare – p42, Pork belly – p50, Pork shoulder – p51, Bamboo shoots, Seasonal vegetable (collard greens) – p54, and Slow poached egg – p52.

I can't wait to try the other recipes.

If you see ingredients listed that you don't recognize, it'll save you time shopping to look them up online so you'll have a better idea what it is and what section of the store you might be looking in.
review image review image review image
on August 3, 2015
I know. I'm late to the party, but this cookbook is my fav. Everything I've made is amazing.
review image
on March 14, 2014
I've made a few of the recipes form this book; pork buns, scallions and ginger sauce, and tare sauce for chicken wings. I've had various degrees of success.

This book is great for the story that Chang tells. Its not just a recipe book but describes his insecurities of starting a restaurant as well as journey to building an empire.

I thought the recipes were written very well. There are some things that are a little bit difficult to understand. I still don't understand his process of cold smoking indoors. But generally the recipes are written very well and usually helps you understand why a particular process or ingredient is used. Not always. I'm still not sure why he decided to use usukuchi over regular soy sauce. I'm guessing its due to the saltiness of the soy sauce and/or the color. I'm sure there is another characteristic that he likes as well.

Some of the recipes are deceptively simple! His pork belly recipe literally have only 3 ingredients: pork belly, sugar and salt. The result is mind glowingly good. This book will make you feel and look like a genius!

I haven't made a batch of ramen from this book… yet! But it can be something that will take a home cook a full day or a few days to make.

Some of the ingredients can be a little hard to find. I had a hard time finding the soy sauce he uses (usukuchi). I've found it at one of the Korean grocery stores, but the ingredient was expired. I'm not sure if that matters very much with soy sauce, but I didn't buy it. I don't like expired ingredients. I used the soy sauce that I usually use. I'm not sure what effect that had on the dish. However, the tare turned out very good. The scallions and ginger sauce was very pungent. But the recipe calls for outrageous amounts of ginger and scallions. I'm not sure what effect my substitute ingredients had on the recipe, but I would like to try and find out.

This book is great if you are wanting experience some of Momofuku without going to NYC.
on March 25, 2017
One of the best books on cooking modern Asian cuisine ever written.
on December 2, 2009
I bought Momofuku a few weeks ago, after I heard an interview with the author on NPR. Coincidentally, my eleven year old daughter and I are going through a Ramen Noodles craze, inspired by Hayao Miyazaki's films (the grandfather in Whisper of the Heart serves noodles to the young ones when in distress; and in Ponyo the mom makes noodles look like magic).

In any case, I wanted something better than the packages available at the local Asian grocery store. Now, a month later, not only are my ramen noodles exquisite, but Momofuku has made me a much better cook. Here's why:
* Chang's attention to the quality of the ingredients one uses: I found a local farmer who raises pigs and drove an hour and a half on beautiful Oklahoma country roads to her place. My freezer is now packed with wonderful cuts of free ranging, non-chemical raised pork, stew meat, and bacon.
* His large quantities did not deter me. Actually, the book's advise on how to store food is perfect for my family of two. I made a huge pot of ramen noodle broth, let it reduce and once ready (simmered for 6 hours), stored in small containers in the freezer. Now I have absolutely wonderful broth for months. (Note: as a Colombian from the Andes, I don't want my broth to have any fishy flavor, so I excluded the Kombu from Chang's recipe)
* Chang's recipe for roasting pork is amazing too! I followed it by the book and ended up with something so good I had a hard time believing I had made it. I roasted a huge chunk of shoulder, and once ready and cool, shredded it, divided it in small zip lock bags, and to the freezer. As with the broth, I have excellent roasted pork to add to our weekly ramen noodles.
* Chang's creative techniques: I will never fry chicken any other way. Momofuku's recipe for fried chicken is exquisite. Easy, creative, and the chicken is delicious, tender, not oily, brown on the outside ...perfect.
* Small details that take once's eating experience to an entirely new level: such as the ginger, scallion recipe. Again, as a Colombian, when nostalgic sometimes I add a little chopped cilantro to the ginger-scallion sauce.

Chang's approach to Asian cuisine, his respect for tradition without the anxiety of hybridizing, bending, mixing, is perfect for a Colombian bored with the food available in central Oklahoma and trying to make good food out of an ordinary, everyday life kitchen.
2323 comments| 634 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2017
Beautiful book for the foodie chef. Lots to read!
on September 24, 2017
I love Dave Chang and this high quality hardcover.
on September 1, 2016
This is a good book for changs food. His recipes are good and pretty easy to make. He gives a small description of some of the items he makes. i haven't eaten at his place but these dishes taste good. I've tweaked out some recipes like his ramen broth and it was good. Somethings can be skipped or done differently but I understand it's his way or making his dishes.
on November 1, 2013
Momofuku is a gorgeous book but a beautiful philosophy of cooking. David Chang takes you into his world to give you insight on what ramen means to him. However, the book is far from just a ramen book. He gives classy but warming recipes, often enough using the basic ramen broth, and generally just makes you want to get off your computer and cook! The first recipe I used was the ramen brother, which took me six hours but in no way disappointed. I will definitely be cooking that one again.
on July 29, 2015
Several excellent, reproducible recipes. Many lacking practical appeal and probably a little too much idiosyncratic rant. Still fun to review and steal technique from.