Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 327 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 573 reviews
on March 5, 2016
I was hoping for some general financial advice for a young person wanting to make sure my finances and plan are solid for the future. But I guess it says so in the title, that this is really only for those who are actually "broke." It would have been good advice when I was in school and not making any money, but not so much now that I'm working a stable job. If you really are struggling with debt, an underpaid job, or know nothing about your own finances, this might be more helpful for you.
on July 6, 2013
I almost didn't read this book, but I kept hearing Suze Orman's name, and a few folks I know have made references to her, so I said "Okay, this lady is successful for a reason, so I must have something to benefit by picking up this book". So I stopped everything I was working on stuck my nose into this book. Let me tell you, as I was reading, based on my own experiences with the topic's that Suze talks about, I was ranting and raving to EVERYONE I care about to get this book and read it before I even had a chance to finish reading it all, and now that I have, there isn't enough words I can say about how important it is to understand these things, but I am going to try.

I think it's fair to say that getting money isn't the real battle that most of us encounter, correctly managing what we have and making it grow is the true battle. I have a real passion for financial literacy. EVERYONE should read this book no matter your financial literacy level. Suze breaks down various topics ranging from fico scores, credit debt, retirement accounts, mortgages, investments, and much more, in a every Simple, Easy, and Direct way. I can't think of a single stone she leaves untouched that's financially critical to know from the first day you turned 18.

Financial literacy is IMPORTANT. The financial decisions you make today are either going to help you or haunt you later in life. You owe it to yourself to make sound, informed decisions, and the topics that Suze covers are all things that we all encounter or hear about at some point in the early parts of our adult lives. If you haven't taken the financial plunge, wonderful, Suze's will help you navigate to achieve financial prosperity. If you've already sunk your ship, no worries, Suze lays out precises ways to rebuild and move forward.

What are you waiting for ?!? This book is one of the best investments you will ever make, PERIOD! It only costs a few bucks and you owe it to yourself to be financially successful and knowledgeable, so go get this book and read it NOW !! Don't thank me, I'm just paying it forward and you've been blessed with divine intervention. Best Wishes..
on March 2, 2015
Great book for the financially non-initiated!

I grew up pretty clueless about finance and when I hit 18, I almost wrecked my credit. I don't have repossessions or foreclosures on my credit, but seeing the actual score was a wake up call and buying this book is one of the best things I ever did for myself.

I wasn't terribly familiar with Suze Orman and I dreaded reading a boring book full of dry prose but this book is a breath of fresh air! Orman's writing is upbeat and conversational in tone and you feel that she really knows her stuff and doesn't judge your for explaining things that may be common knowledge to others. The book is also VERY clearly organized and reads great from front to back or as a reference text that breaks down topics and questions into more bite sized portions when skimming through or for looking for a specific answer.

I wasn't sure how mortgages worked or what the difference was between a 401(k) and a Roth IRA, but now I know. I know how credit agencies calculate your credit score and I've learned that while shiny new cars are great, they are a depreciating asset and with this knowledge, I feel more confident about my purchasing judgement/self control and optimistic about my financial future and the new path I'm on.

This book is great for high school students who are embarking on their path as adults, for people trying to get a handle on their current financial situation or for people who have a general interest in economics and how our decisions, large and small, affect us in one way or another down the road.

A fantastic book that was a joy to read! I can't recommend it enough!
on June 24, 2017
this is not a book for anyone stuck in a cycle of generational poverty. i was foolish to believe i could take anything away from it.
on December 3, 2012
Despite this book 'only' being written some five years ago, this book shows its age rather badly. Since 2007, much of the financial world has been flipped upsidedown; interest rates have plunged, credit has been frozen, wages have stagnated and/or fallen for many, college continues its exponential climb in price with decreasing returns after graduation.

I bought this book as a YF&B-er myself, but found much of the hard-hitting reality of life in a post-recessionary economy out of line with Suze's advice; advice like placing ordinary living expenses on credit while you're young (you can pay it off when you get a good job out of college), finance your car (you can afford the payments once you get a better job), and other debt-loading activities...all out of line with the new reality many young people like myself (22) face, even with my substantially above-average income coming from a "designer" degree (USC).

Still, I have to rate the book 4/5 stars, as you will still find a good 75% of the advice still relevant. Just slash down her high interest rates on gains such as IRAs, 401(k)s, and investing. Definitely DO NOT take her advice for loading up credit cards while you're young...with the premise that you'll have the income to pay it off later. I see so many of my fellow college graduates doing this, and now have a hard slap of reality as they settle into their $30-40,000 jobs, with twice as much as that in college debt. Focus on living as frugally as you can (don't confuse frugality with being a cheap-ass), live with your parents, minimize student loans, and ALWAYS have an emergency fund.

For a more 'up-to-date' book with the same basic advice, try Zac Bissonette's book, How to Be Richer, Smarter, and Better-Looking Than Your Parents. A self-described fan and follower of Suze, Zac's book may be a little more in line with today's realities, while keeping in line with much of Suze's amazing and time-tested advice.
on June 6, 2016
This book is good for answering some questions in a straight-forward manner that does not go so in-depth she loses you. She explains concepts and gives advice as to how and why certain things should be done and what it will mean in time.
on May 5, 2017
Absolutely fantastic book. I rented it from the library, renewed it for a year, and then finally bought my own once I was forced to return the libraries copy!
I am amazed that in high school, nothing is taught on basic financial management.

I wish I had read this when I was in 12th grade (or before). Luckily, I had a descent background in finances, but young people, starting college, often do not have the skills they need to make the right decisions for their future.

Suze explains things in a very easy to read fashion. I bought this book for a couple of late twenty something folks I am friends with. It really opened their eyes, and I watched as I started to see them save more money, and realize they didn't need that $40,000 car.

There is so much more to this book, but it has been written in other reviews. Buy one for a young person and change their life. :)
on June 7, 2017
A great gift for any high school or college graduate. Suzie knows money and how to keep it!
on March 5, 2015
Great book, especially for someone fresh out of college. Cannot stress how awesome it is to not have loan payments every month! Paid off $36k in 18 months with some discipline and downsizing on a take home of $42k/yr and still maxing my ROTH! Traded my $20k sports car for a $4k truck not only paid half my debt, put also lowered my monthly gas and insurance bills! High recommend this book along with "The Millionaire Next Door."