Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

92%
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 48 reviews
on November 24, 2012
Although the initial plot for Money Shot is a straightforward premise, I was amazed and highly amused at all the characters and incidents that logically preceded the culminating climax. And even that was just the start of further complications taking the plot to a whole new and surprising level. Moving along at a rapid rate with superb dialogue, unique characters and vivid descriptions, it was difficult to put down and a pleasure to return to. Masterfully crafted and sprinkled with searing sarcasm, Money Shot is a must read for anyone ready for the first-rate adventure of a somewhat ordinary person dealing with extraordinary circumstances. Not many people ever get such an opportunity, but reading such a marvelously written encounter makes one feel like actually being there in person. Making the most of his years in Las Vegas, Brian Rouff imaginatively brings together all the elements of drama, emotion, pacing, and location to produce one of my favorite books of all time. I thought highly of his prior book, Dice Angel, but this one might even surpass it. Although, I would have a hard time choosing between the two--so I'm glad I bought both!
on March 27, 2008
I have had the good fortune of finding Brian Rouff completely by accident. I read "Dice Angel" first and fell in love with his writing style and his quirky characters (see my review).

When I received "Money Shot" I did not think I would like it nearly as much as "Dice Angel" -- I am not particularly a basketball fan -- But I thought a lot of Las Vegas was in it so it would be a good read from that perspective. Man, was I ever wrong!!

I LOVED "Money Shot" -- I fell in love with ALL the characters, Nick the hero of the story, a burned-out nine to fiver advertising exec drinks a soda and the bottle cap offers him the chance of a lifetime -- sink a three pointer at half-time during a championship game and win a million bucks -- Nick, being skeptical, lets the bottle cap drift aimlessly among the detritus of his car. Luckily, Jason, the young up and comer at the agency sees the cap and tells Nick it's the real thing -- the real deal and he had better call so he can win his million bucks.

From that point on, Rouff hooks the reader better than Hemingway hooked a fish -- You can't put the book down -- Nick is one of the funniest people in fiction -- his asides kept me in stitches -- as I turned every page of the novel dreading coming to the end of a GLORIOUS READ, I realized (after having devoured "Dice Angel" Mr Rouff's other novel) what a genius this writer is.

He seams the story effortlessly among his characters that live and breathe like humans -- but humans you want to know and get to know -- no card-board, stereo-typical archetypes in Mr. Rouff's writing -- He's a writer's writer and a great, great story teller.

His dialogue is brilliant as are his created characters. I read "Money Shot" in one sitting -- it's fast, complex, human, with more twists and turns than a New York pretzel -- And the surprise ending nearly makes you delirious -- Don't despair though -- Mr. Rouff's endings are one of his greatest fortes -- they do not disappoint!!

I highly recommend any novel Mr. Rouff writes -- You will not be despairing until you reach the last page where it says THE END.
on December 22, 2004
Great story that keeps you turning pages. Lots of laughs along the way. Engaging writing. I particularly enjoyed the little glimpse we get of life on the non-casino side of town in Las Vegas. I've read just about everything that's been written on that city, and this is the first time I've learned what it's really like to live there. I recommend "Money Shot" highly.