Truck Season Automotive Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Showing 1-10 of 244 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 267 reviews
on August 30, 2015
I bought the Mongoose Impasse because it fit my budget for a full suspension 29'er mountain bike that I could grow with. I felt the bike was a bit of a gamble, because detail specs and reviews are all over the place. From extremely good to don't buy this, it's garbage. I know from life long experience that some people expect way too much for what they are paying for.I also think the reviewer should specify a little background of what they want to use an item for and their expectations. I know, again from experience, that you can't get a $1000 dollar anything for $300. I also know that through research and patience, and SALES, you can get a $1000 something for $650. I am 63 years old, 6'2" tall, and weigh 220 lbs. I ride Rails to Trails conversions, city parks, greenbelt rides, gravel roads, and occasionally some light, through the woods trails with some downhills and small drop-offs. No extreme, bite your lip, 3o mph, downhill competition. I wanted to try a 29" bike and more importantly, one with disc brakes front and rear to replace my 26" bike that is some 8 years old (Mongoose XR75) with v-brakes. Cheapest full suspension bike you can buy from Wally is about $130 without disc brakes. With front disc brakes only, you get up to $180 to $220. That's about the top of the line at wally except sometimes in the spring of the year, you can find a full suspension bike with disc brakes front and rear for $280. Anyone expecting a $1000 bike for $300 is just not realistic. $500 bike, close, maybe. With some ($250+/-) upgrades, you can approach a $900-$1000 bike easily. One of the reasons I am upgrading to this bike over my existing 26" is that the tires needed to be replaced. The CHEAPEST I could find for tires and tubes was $70 delivered. The CHEAPEST. Sky is the limit. Choice is to spend $70+ for tires and tubes for an 8 year old bike, or buy a new bike with new technology. Enter the Mongoose Impasse.

About the packaging and delivery. The bike was rather poorly packed in the Mongoose factory box. No packing was in the box to protect delicate pieces like the rear derailleur, or the wheel hubs. The bike came partially assembled with the front wheel tie wrapped to the frame, as well as the handlebars strapped to the front forks. Just a little bubble wrap, foam around the frame in key places, and a few plastic protectors for the hubs that were broken and laying in the bottom of the box. As a result, there were some scratches and rubs on the bike from shipping. I have found no other way to get this bicycle except through mail order so you are at the mercy of how the shipping company handles it. Better packaging and protection by the manufacturer would increase the bottom line cost of the bicycle, but I dare say, it would avoid some returns of this bike because of poor packaging resulting in scratches, buffs, bent or lost parts etc. More cost for packaging would result in less returns, so the bike price could be the same. By the way, my bike was manufactured on April 2015 as found on the down-tube or seat-post at the bottom near the crank. You need this as well as the model number R2780 if you need to call for warranty work.

Next, the Owners Manual covers ALL Mongoose "department store" bikes, so be patient to find the section specific to the features on your model (aka Threadless stem vs classic Quill Stem adjustment)(V-brakes vs disc brakes). I would have liked a shorter owners manual with more info specific to this model, but again, this would increase cost and inventory problems with the manufacturer. This ALL-IN-ONE manual helps to keep cost down, so please don't complain!

After assembly (which is not really difficult assuming there are no damaged parts), be prepared to adjust the disk brakes. They should not drag, and are easy to adjust if you follow the manual. Just be sure to spin the wheels and ensure that the disc is centered in the caliper. I also had to spend a little time making adjustments to the rear derailleur to make it shift properly which was expected. If you are unsure about being able to do this sort of work, just take it to a local bike shop and they will set it up properly for you (for a fee +/- $50). That is one difference between buying your own (savings) versus buying from a bike shop that will set-up and check the bike before it is sold to you. Even after riding this or ANY bike, you either learn how to maintain and adjust it yourself, or take it back to the shop and spend some more money. True whether you buy a $200 bike or a $2000 or more bike.

The element front fork absorbs bumps, but has no hydraulic or pneumatic dampening, its basically a simple spring tube that is adequate for light off roading. It uses the new technology of threadless headset. Might replace this in the future with a RockShox XC 28 fork w/oil dampening ($109) just because I have never owned such an expense on any bike I have owned. Would like to know what that feels like. The rear shock is just a spring with pre-load only. It is easily adjusted to stiffen or loosen your ride. I have found NO direct replacement for this shock/spring. The closest thing I can find is a DMN Mountain Bike Air Rear Shock With Lockout 165mm ($85). It features air adjustable ride or stiffness, plus a lockout. The lockout permits you to make the bike essentially a hard tail which means you can ride UP a hill without the bounciness. I get off my old 26 and crank done the spring to get this done. Again, something I have never had, but would like to try. The problem with this upgrade is that the STOCK Shock is 150mm or 6" long. The DMN shock is 160mm or 6'5" long. This will change the geometry of the bike, maybe better, maybe worse, I'll let you know later if I upgrade this! All of the upgrades so far, ($26+$109+$85=Total $220) This added to the cost of the bike $280+$220=$500 bike cost. Close to a $900 bike value. The big thing is you can do it a little at a time, while riding, instead of dishing our $500 right now. You may never even want to upgrade this bike and ride it like it is till she drops. Again, I might upgrade the shock and fork in the future just because I have never had one. All in all, the suspension works well to smooth out ruts and pot holes in rural and country roads, as well as gravel/dirt roads, and wooded area trails. This is what I use it for and it works well for this sort of riding. Suspension is rather stiff at first, but gets smoother the longer you ride. The Mongoose Impasse feels like and looks like a decently sturdy bike for taking on some dirt/gravel roads, light trails, and commuting. I wouldn't take it on any hardcore downhill paths or do jumps with it, that's what a $1000+ bike is for, but it can go over roots/rocks and things very well as is.

The ZOOM disc brakes works surprisingly well. They are about one half to one third the cost of more premium brakes, but this is another reason the bike is only $280. I may upgrade these with Shimano BR-M416A or Avid BB7's when the pads wear out. Replace pads for about $15 or get all new brakes for $50 to $60. Again, approaching that $500 cost or better bicycle. The Shimano rear derailleur changes the gears quickly and once adjusted, is nice and quiet (no clicking). It is the Shamano Tourney TX (RD-TX 35). A nice entry level derailleur, made from aluminum castings and steel stampings. The Wheel hubs look like WheelMaster 'Quando' (sealed bearings). This bike is built in China so the aluminum hubs and wheels are, well, Chinese. The rims are a double wall rim, so they should take some pounding. Spokes are painted steel. The tires are NO-NAME brand. Inflate from 35 PSI, recommended 40 PSI, and a maximum of 65 PSI. 198 lbs MAX load. That's 396 pound person if you were sitting equally on both wheels/tires or 198 lbs MAX if you are on one tire. Well, let's see, I weigh 220 lbs. Hummmm......is that going to be a problem. Not so far. Wonder what the rims are rated for???

The Crank is a ProWheel with 175mm long Alloy arms, square taper BB (Bottom Bracket) and riveted steel chain rings, all painted black. With the square taper Bottom Bracket, its easy to upgrade or change the chain rings to other sizes. For my height, I actually need 180mm arms, not sure about the gear sizing yet, just sayin.

AS for the SIZE of this bike? Because of it's geometry nature and tires, I would say this is a MEDIUM frame. (see below)
The wheel base, front wheel axle to rear wheel axle is 42-3/8" (Old 26 is 41-3/8")
From ground to top of seat post quick release is 29-3/4" (Old 26 is 30-3/4")
From center of crank to top of seat post quick release is 17-1/2" (Old 26 is 19-3/4") [Note: This is usually the FRAME size].
From ground to lowest part of frame at seat post is 28-1/4" (Old 26 is 28-1/4")
From ground to hightest part frame at handlebar headset 35-3/4" (Old 26 is 32-3/4")
From back of handlebar headset to center of seat post is 20-7/8" (Old 26 is 20-3/4")
From Rear axle to the center of the pedal crank is 18-1/4" (Old 26 is 17-1/4")
From center of the pedals to the center of the crank is 6-3/4" (Old 26 is 6-3/4")

NOTE: It is roughly recommended that when you stand with the bike between your legs, you should have at least 2" clearance between your crotch and the bike frame. My inseam is 32" and when standing just in front of the seat comfortably the ground to top of tube height is 30". Perfect for me. My (Old 26 is 28-1/2"). The seatpost is too short for me, it's 9-7/8" long and I need at least 13-3/4" for peddling uphill. Going down hill, you will usually lower your seatpost by 2-4". So for going downhill, this seat height would be quite acceptable. However, I do go both uphill and downhill as well.

Now for the riding. It rides well. The 29'er tires make riding on rough surfaces easier. Riding through grassy fields, the woods trails, gravel roads, is easier than with my Old 26" wheel mountain bike. The seat is surprisingly comfortable, although at my age, I will be replacing it with a wider gel seat. The bike is not too heavy, especially considering it's size. Roughly 47 lbs, versues 46-52 lbs for the competion. Some of the cost difference of high-priced bikes in keeping the weight down around 36-38 lbs is using more costly components like carbon fiber, better aluminum, etc. Ride this or any bike for a month or two, loose 10-15 lbs and save yourself some money, not to mention, BETTER HEALTH. Besides the frame being aluminum (not including the 'chain stay' aka rear fork which are steel), the handle bars, thread-less stem, seat post, crank arms, yoke of the front fork, and calipers are all aluminum too. The brake levers are aluminum and plastic, as are the SRAM shifters. typical of bikes in this price range. A pre-planned upgrade to Shimano EF-51 Shifter/Brake Lever Combo (3 x 7 Speed) for $26 will make the bike perform closer to that $500 price range bike. Again, this is not a MUST upgrade, I have used the SRAM SureGrip Max shifters for years with success. I would just like to try the trigger shifters one time. To have the shifters and brake levers in combo should free up the handlebar space too and make it look (BE) more like that $500 bike.

People have complained about where to mount a water bottle holder. If you look at any other PURE mountain bike, most do NOT have a place for water bottles. They us a backpack hydration system.The bike uses all metric fasteners so a compact, take it with you, tool kit like the ones made by Topeak would be a wise decision/purchase to have for ANY bike owner.

With another $250 or so upgrades mentioned, this bike will easily be right up there with a $1000 bike. If you are concerned about weight, carbon fiber seatpost, handlebars, new shock/fork supsension, etc. upgrades can bring the weight down to a respectable 36-38 lbs. Yes, you will have a total of a little more than $500, but one step at a time if want to, instead of $500 or higher, all at once. Bottom line is the Mongoose Impasse is a competent light to medium duty full suspension 29" mountain bike as it sits for $280 and its loads of fun to ride.

IF this review was helpful to you, please leave a commend below, if nothing more than Thank You, so I will know whether I have waisted my time and or yours and so I will know whether to ever take the time to write another review or not. If you have any questions, just ask, I would be happy to help you any way I can! I wish I had this help before I purchased mine. Although it WAS still a good decision. Happy Trails!!!
374 people found this helpful
|1818 comments|Report abuse
on January 3, 2015
I am 6'3 276 lbs. and I wanted the feel of not riding a kids bike. Bike arrived new years eve semi put together which was no problem because I use to build bikes in my youth, so here I am putting the bike together new years morning early am. The suspension took some getting use to. Over all I was very impress with the size and the initial feel of the bike. So I decided to take my sons out in the neighborhood to ride there new bikes as well. After 2 miles coasting the screw on the crank wiggled loose and caused the left side arm and pedal to come clean off. Walked home and tried to re-attach the screw which didn't work. That was very disappointing first that I couldn't get the screw back tighten. Second it was less that 24 hours new to me and I was unable to ride my new purchase. And i have wait a week to get anything else which is more disappointing to my 6 year old sons. Unsure if I should wait for a replacement I started reading the reviews and they helped me decide to move away from this Brand of bikes. I'm just looking for something I can take the kids out with and enjoy the day with.
7 people found this helpful
on June 23, 2015
First time riding this bike and the pedal stripped right off of the crank. I invested in higher quality pedals, assuming it was just the pedals; however, on the first ride out with new pedals I discovered that the crankset was defected and that is what was stripped. It would cost over $90 in tools n parts to fix, so definitely not worth the investment. I'm out the $250 I paid since I waited over a month to assemble it since I was out of town on business.
10 people found this helpful
on September 26, 2017
The bike itself is well made and I don't expect it to break or anything anytime soon. Seems very durable and of good quality.

My issue with the bike is the design. There is only about 1.5" clearance from the front wheel to the pedal when turning, causing me to CONSTANTLY hit the tire with my foot. Since this is a mountain bike, that's incredibly dangerous. I have to pay attention to which foot is forward while riding down a mountain, which is not where my concentration should be. I almost fell a number of times because of this. How did Mongoose not notice this when designing the bike?

For biking around a neighborhood or simple rides, I'm sure this bike would work fine. But for mountain biking? Nowhere close to being a good bike.
|11 comment|Report abuse
on September 30, 2015
This bike is complete and utter trash. I bought it for trail purposes, but let's just say it never made it past the street. It came unassembled and I had to do the company's work myself and on top of the that the parts are very weak. For example the peddle kept on falling off and it just feels like it is one jump away from all the parts falling off completely. There was a problem with the shifting and the suspension feels very loose. If I could give this negative stars believe me, I would because I've had way cheaper bikes over the years that were more durable than this.
6 people found this helpful
on August 19, 2016
This bike is easily the best MTB I've ridden so far. Assembly was pretty self explanatory. To be fair though, I immediately swapped the derailleurs for some smoother Shimanos and thumb shifters instead of the stock twist shifters. The sheer size of this bike dwarfs most 26" bikes of the same class. I'm only 5'8" but I can sit comfortably with the saddle and suspension adjusted properly, even though my feet can just barely touch the ground. A small price to pay for such a beast. I love that Mongoose included TOOLLESS WHEELS, it makes transporting and techwork so much easier. The aluminum frame makes it so much lighter than I expected. In comparison, mine weighs only 2lbs more than the 24" my girlfriend rides. I'm not the most in shape rider but even I can climb inclines like a breeze with this bike and it's massive wheels and 21 speeds.
on June 19, 2016
Received new bike and the front forks are welded so far out of alignment that it can't be assembled. Returning. Would recommend buying where bike is already assembled where someone else can deal with poor workmanship. I work in a fab shop and if I turned out a product like this I'd be looking for a job. Get one star because I can't give 0.
review image
13 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on August 24, 2015
This bike might technically be a bit large for me, but honestly at my current weight I like having a bike that I feel can stand up to my heavy rump and this bike does that well!

I had to spend a good portion of my day putting it together, but a large part of that was adjusting everything. It gives you a pretty small list of tools but trust me when I say you will NEED a socket wrench in order to adjust the front derailleur. The nut was so tight from the factory that no other tool was able to loosen it for further adjustments. The derailleurs probably took the most time, followed by the disc-brakes, but now aside from the cross-chaining gears everything else works smoothly and Mongoose doesn't recommend cross-chaining anyway because it puts undue wear on your chain anyway so it's all good in my book.

I found I did need to tighten the rear suspension as it had a bit too much sag at first but after that the ride is great. I did replace the seat with my own from a prior bike that I find comfortable but I was very pleased to discover that the pedals were metal just like my last Mongoose bike, so I ended up not needing to install the pedals I purchased separately. I'll keep them since I know I'll probably need them down the road at some point, but it's great that out the gate I didn't have to replace plastic ones and makes me feel even better about my purchase.

For anyone who wants to mount their phone on the handlebars I've been using Aduro U-GRIP PLUS Universal Bike, Motorcycle, Handlebar, Roll Bar Mount for Smart Phones (Black) and it's been fantastic. I had to use all three of the padding strips for it but it's held onto my S4 solidly and made navigating around on it so much easier than having to stop and pull it out of my pocket every so often to check my route.

The only thing I wish is that there were a good place to mount a water bottle, but since I ride with a backpack that isn't a huge problem for me. I may look into some kind of cup holder for my handlebars but they are getting a bit crowded between my phone holder and Bright Eyes Rechargeable POWERFUL 1200 LUMENS Bike Headlight, but despite that one little thing I'm very pleased with this purchase and would recommend it to my friends. Installing Slime in the tubes was easy peasy too, so I feel more comfortable about the road hazards here in the DFW area. :)
on August 30, 2015
This is one of the best bikes that I have ever owned. Everything about the bike that was advertised is true, and although I have made a couple of adjustments, like the seat, it is only to personal taste, and for my rear?????. These seats that come with the bikes for me are just very uncomfortable. Anyway, with a couple of adjustments by a bike professional I am very happy with it and have put over 1000 miles on it in the last 1 1/2 months. Would recommend this to anyone looking for a mountain bike.
3 people found this helpful
on June 11, 2016
This is a great looking bike! Finally a man sized bike... no more 26 inch. I have been swapping parts from my old one to this one. Really needs the speed shifters on it... because, you will want it. I bought a set but haven't had a chance to install it... that's why I haven't ridden it yet. If it rides half as good as it looks... it will still beat the ones from walmart! I know, because that's where my old one came from. So get yourself a man's sized bike like this one, not one that looks like you took your kids...
Updates to this review will be forth coming. Pictures too!