Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Monster Hunters Hardcover – May 29, 2012
|New from||Used from|
Books with Buzz
Discover the latest buzz-worthy books, from mysteries and romance to humor and nonfiction. Explore more
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
About the Author
Larry Correia is an award-winning competitive shooter, a movie-prop-gun master and, yes, an accountant by day–but an urban noir adventure master by night. He is the creator of the Wall Street Journal and New York Times bestselling Monster Hunter series as well as urban fantasy hardboiled blockbuster saga, the Grimnoir Chronicles. Correia is very tall, very bald, and lives in Utah with his wife and family.
Top Customer Reviews
"Monster Hunter Vendetta." Having deployed a bottom line solution to the Cursed One's war, Pitt learns The Dread Overlord rages over what Owen arranged in his recent victory. The monster chieftain orders his supporters to bring him Mr. Pitt for special torture as saving humanity is an unacceptable defense. The Church of the Temporary Mortal Condition led by the Shadow Man stalks Owen as a perfect sacrifice to gain favor with the Old Ones.
"Monster Hunter Alpha." MHI Chief Earl Harbinger conceals from his subordinates that he is a werewolf who dedicated his life to protect mankind just like his dad the greatest Hunter ever. Earl learns ruthless former KGB werewolf Nikolai killed a deputy sheriff in Copper Lake, Michigan. The MHI leader realizes that he and Stalin's favorite agent must hunt each other until only one is left howling. However, Earl is ignorant of why his foe is in the Wolverine State.
The omnibus reprint of three MHI cases are entertaining satirical urban fantasies that deploys plenty of hyperbole to lampoon how society deals with "monsters". Pitt makes a more fascinating lead than Harbinger, but still each entry is fun.
BOOK 1: MONSTER HUNTER INTERNATIONAL
What I would have liked to know before I bought this book. (no spoilers)
1. What type of book is it: adventure, action, drama, etc? This book is a military urban fantasy action packed story from beginning to end. The tiny bits of melodrama are generally simplistic, cliché and secondary. It will be easy to endure them. I make a distinction between melodrama and drama, thus, the bits of drama aren't bad.
2. What is the story about, in general? The story is about Owen Pitts, an extremely martially capable man that finally gets his chance at war when he gets thrown into the Monster Hunter business.
3. What/Who is the target audience? The target audience is young adult males, those who appreciate good weapon descriptions (me, guilty) and fast military action fans. I don't think this story targets older adults very well.
4. Is there character development? Nope. The main protagonist is two-dimensional. He has a particular attitude, manner of acting and perception. He doesn't evolve beyond them. He, literally, was introduced with all the necessary basic characteristics to become a Monster Hunter. He's also a bit like Dirty Harry in the ego sense.
Most other characters fill a rigid role within the story without deviation. Thankfully, except for one character, that for a good percentage of the book is a flat one dimensional stooge, they aren't completely two dimensional. One secondary character has an extensive background and detailed emotional facets. In fact, said character is even -more- detailed than the protagonist! Go figure.
5. Are the characters likable?Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Funny witty writing with lots if action and plot twists. Only problem is the book is big and heavy.Published 22 days ago by Steve Varty
This book is not "great" literature, but it is a very fun read - fast paced, cleverly plotted, and a real page turner.Published 23 days ago by W. Timothy Holman
Well worth rhe read. I've now read all three of the books, and they all were good.Published 1 month ago by Edward D. Clark
I am a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer Fan. I am also a big fan of Jim Butcher and the Dresden series. These books fit with them in my highest tier of approval. Read morePublished 1 month ago by M. Whipple
I've read all of the MHI and Grimnoir books and they are all fantastic. You will not be disappointed, these books are outstanding thrill rides. Read morePublished 1 month ago by M.A.D
I didn't dislike anything about the book. I found it difficult to put down , but man does not live by good books alone. I needed to find time eat and sleep . Read morePublished 3 months ago by Amazon Customer
Great characters interesting stories and a well designed world. It isn't philosophy, but it's good action and a great ride.Published 3 months ago by Kindle Customer