Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 220 reviews
on October 23, 2011
Monster Island took place six weeks past the beginning of the zombie apocalypse, where only 10% of the human population survived. Monster Nation takes us back to the first days of the pending doom, and again David Wellington does not disappoint.

In book one we are shown the methodical and strategic planning of the dead versus the living. In book two we are shown the down and dirty siege of the dead onto the living. We find the heart of every zombie story within Monster Nation's pages: chaos and destruction.

Government officials, police barricades, CDC, FEMA, and the fear of civilians will not stop the infection. In the wee hours of the epidemic, officials scramble to piece together what is happening. Much like Monster Island, the author gives us the story from several perspectives.

I found Nilla's story to be the most interesting. Just like Gary in the first book, Nilla has woken up dead. Where Gary had planned his death, Nilla's was a mistake, and because of her unplanned voyage, she cannot remember her real name. She calls herself Nilla because it was the only thing she could think of when asked her name. Much like Gary, Nilla finds out quickly that she has an ability that most of the dead don't. She is not driven by her hunger, but by a vision, the same one that Gary had, telling her to head east.

None of that matters though, because when you're dead, the living hate you regardless:(FROM THE BOOK)

They knew. The people of Lost Hills knew what she was. They could sense it. If she closed her eyes she could see them all, their golden auras, and she knew they were all looking back and seeing her darkness. Surely not as vividly, certainly not as consciously but they could sense her energy just like she could sense theirs.---

Clark Bannerman is a captain. His troops stumble across Nilla in the early stages of the outbreak, but she slips away. His objective is to find her at all cost. Clark knows what she can do, and he also knows that she might have the answers to cannibalistic epidemic. If only he could only see past the fact that the cannibals are not alive.

David Wellington's interpretation of zombies is unique in the sense that it's not humans that the dead seek out, but the life force within them. If the dead are so inclined, and short on food, the will eat tree bark because it is living. It is the essence of life that they truly crave.

Ultimately Clark and Nilla's paths have crossed for the same reasons: to find the source that is causing the dead to rise. The author keeps the pages action packed, and has a great style of writing that keeps me from putting his books down. I can't wait to crack into the final installment.
on June 21, 2011
This book was a fun read. I was unsure where it would go, but once I got the idea of were it was leading too I was excited to continue. I enjoyed the new angle of this zombie novel. It is narrated partly by a zombie , but the man was able to think and act for himself, even leading other zombies to follow him. The end went crazy, it kept me interested by introducing characters such as mummies. Overall, David Wellington created a story with classic engrossing zombies and luring twists.
on November 3, 2015
Great novel. Had a lot of unexpected moments which I enjoyed very much. A lot of original content too considering it's a zombie novel.
on February 27, 2013
Great story, good pace and decent character development. I've read the next 2 books of the trilogy and they're also worth reading. The 3 book "Monster Planet" gets a little fantasy-ish in a couple chapters but it's still a good story. I would recommend these books to anyone who likes the Zombie and horror genre's.
on September 7, 2015
Fast moving well written a brilliant zombie novel,great author have enjoyed all the books of his that I have read
on February 28, 2016
Great series. For being as old as it is, its still a great one to re-read.
on May 18, 2011
This was my third zombie fiction book and i loved it(Both day by day books before this one).It is a very entertaining pop corn read.i have read the two others in his trilogy( monster nation and monster planet) and plague zone online and think you should give all david wellington books a shot to read. I know I'll read more.
on July 20, 2014
Zombies that think? Okay, I get it since they are not like zombies of old. I also did enjoy the way the main characters came together to "out think" them and survive.
on March 21, 2006
Folks, you have to check this book out.

Had enough of mass-market monsters? Tired of book store horror sections that are dominated by one or two authors (I think you know who I mean)?

Check out this or anything else Mr. Wellington has served up and you'll be in for a flesh-chewing treat.

He's a breath of fresh air for those of us with a love of all things monster.
on March 14, 2013
David Wellington is a genius when it comes to zombie literature. Glad I stumbled across this author. I even wrote him an email to thank him for his work and congratulate him on a job well done and he took the time to write me back. I give it 5 stars!