Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Assassin's Creed Origins Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 31, 2013
I have always been a big fan of movie scores/soundtracks and Randy Newman ranks pretty highly among the composers I'll buy a CD of. Right next to John Williams and Michael Giacchino. And with Monsters University, Mr. Newman has made another solid score.

Most of the 20 tracks on this CD are typical Newman and have fair replay potential. But for me the tracks that stand out are No. 13 "Roar" which I must have missed in the film, but is a great modern dance track. The others are No. 20 - Monsters University which is a wonderful choral performance of a school song and No. 1 - Main Title which got me hooked right off as I was seeing a full college marching band (with drum line) made up of monsters. The only quibble I have, is this track is too short. Another minute or two wouldn't hurt.

Overall, if you are a fan of movie music, add this one to your collection.
on November 12, 2014
What a complete waste that the BEST song, played MULTIPLE times in the movie, is NOT on the SOUNDTRACK? Extremely disappointing! I don't care how good the other songs are, how many accolades the composer has, without the BEST song on the CD the soundtrack is INCOMPLETE and otherwise USELESS!
VINE VOICEon June 21, 2013
The musical compositions on this score are great. My favorite piece is the composition entitled "The Scare Games". This piece celebrates the spirit and excitement of competition the scare games. I love the drums and overall musical arrangement of this six minute piece. "Monsters University" is the only music with vocals. This is a great college fight song. It is performed by what sounds like a choir of singers. Randy Newman makes feel a sense of pride for an animated university I love the piece "Wasted Potential". It features soothing piano playing. "Scare Pig" is a fast paced piece with a rock edge. "Rise and Shine" is definitely a piece that will get out of bed. I am going to put this piece on my Ipod. It will help me get up in the morning. "Sulley" is a piece with a carefree easy going tone. This forty-eight second piece really embodies the character of Sulley. The brief accordion playing on the piece entitled "Oozma Kappa" lifts my spirit and make me feel good."Roar" is the only musical contribution from someone other than Randy Newman. It is a dance track from a band called Swedish House Mafia. This piece has a pulsating up tempo beat that I really like. "Field Trip" is a piece that captures the peril that can be experienced in a field trip. This piece makes me feel tense and excited. Mike and Sulley is a warm hearted piece that captures the friendship between Mike and Sulley. I love this musical score from Randy Newman very much.
Top Contributor: Guitaron December 31, 2014
Randy Newman did it again.
on May 26, 2014
It is a great little soundtrack and really has a "band" feel. Well that might be partly because it does use a drum corps for a portion of the music, but it really does feel like a "college" band and it matches the tone of the movie incredibly well.
on December 1, 2016
best collection
on March 23, 2014
That is cute music and the kids love it.
Love those soundtracks and make you
use your imagination to create games
to go with. Kids find it a nice inspiration.
on October 15, 2013
Disney. Wow.
If you see the movie before buying this soundtrack, I'm guessing that you are primarily buying it for the song that everyone else is also looking for - the song that was featured numerous times throughout the picture and leading into the end credits as well... Well, guess what - it's not here. I was surprised. By far the best song on the soundtrack; however, it was not composed by Randy Newman (Disney's monopolized writer for most of their modern cartoons). So because of this, it was not on the soundtrack.

To get this song, you must instead purchase the album Rise Up by the marching band group called March Fourth. The song is called "Gospel". I guess since they aren't under Disney's corporate gun, they don't get the credit of being on the official soundtrack. Shame, Disney. Anyway, do yourself a favor and get that album instead of this one - because it has the best song on it.
66 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 20, 2013
I bought this for the Blue Devils Drum Line but for me I WANT MORE OF THE DRUMS, but I so loved this cd and the movie. BUY IT>
on January 24, 2014
Great Music like the movie, some of the music reminds me of when i use to be in band in High school