Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 1, 2014
There is no way to describe MONTY PYTHONS flavor of comedy. The dry wit of the British is at its best AND craziest. I think that what has made them a comedy phenomenonis the subtle, straight faced craziness! I've owned this movie on VHS until it wore out, or got away from me (for some reason people would never return them) at least a half dozen times. And now I can start wearing out the DVD! I am replacing all of them. Yellowbeard, The Meaning of LiFE, Life of Bryan...all of them. If you've not ever experienced MP, your in for a real treat!

This certain Video by the MP group is a parody of King Arthur and the nights of the round tables guest for the ever elusive Holy Grail. Outrageously funny!
on August 25, 2013
You know the scene: the Pythons riding through the countryside on their faithful invisible steeds, clip-clopping of hooves provided by a lackey clapping coconut shell halves together, in their search for the Holy Grail. They encounter all manner of obstacles and strange characters, from oppressed peasants who object to King Arthur's very existence, to three-headed knights who block their path, to a wizened gatekeeper for whom they must answer three questions, to a killer bunny.

Monty Python is an acquired taste, and this is their best film to help in the acquisition. Holy Grail is a highlight of a youngster's coming of age, providing a host of quotes and situations that are referenced forever after: the buxom maiden whom the duke tells his effete son to marry because she has "vast [slight pause] tracts of land"; the French knights somehow ensconced in a castle in England, who tell Arthur they don't want to join the quest for the Holy Grail because they "already have one"; the knight who suffers a "flesh wound" as his limbs are lopped off one by one; and the blessing of the Holy Hand Grenade for use against the killer bunny.

The Holy Grail was filmed with modest production values, but the Blu-ray picture quality is surprising, showing greatly improved colors and details. Although not the type of film one watches for reference quality video, it is nonetheless very pleasant to take in all the hilarious nonsense with a better picture. Numerous special features are offered on the Blu-ray, mostly ported over directly from the two-disc DVD edition. Like most Python productions nothing is taken too seriously, not the characters, nor the sets and costumes, and certainly not the story. But this casual appearance should not hide the fact that these guys are seriously funny, their stories endearing, their films memorable. King Arthur decides at one point that they will not return to Camelot just now, because it is "a silly place". Holy Grail is a silly movie, and it should be visited early and often in hope of finding still further silliness.
on October 14, 2017
Hard to say enough about a classic. I can only mention that my teenager now understands many of the odd expressions my wife and I exchange and has recently absconded with my "Knights Who Say Ni" t-shirt. Nice bonus features, including a BBC featurette shot while they were filming. Amazing that their first effort turned out so well.
on November 4, 2012
Well, having been a fan of this film for a long time and through different DVD and now Blu-ray copies i must say that the movie does look better yes, BUT this is a "CUT" version and that is my main complaint. The Blu-ray edition finds the mistaken beginning of "DENTIST ON THE JOB" REMOVED! To be a true edition of the film and a "complete" edition this should not happen! Why for many years over several VHS and Multiple DVD's present it in it's original form only to cut the original beginning completely from the movie? I mean it was ok in the ultimate editions and such on the remasters to (in my opinion since it sounds very slightly different) re-dub narration, but to remove part of the movie? Who OK'd this?!?!?!
on February 4, 2015
Very funny movie! My kids and I enjoyed watching this together. It's important to know that at the beginning, there are subtitles. They are part of the movie. It starts out in another language, and then changes to english. Keep reading them, it gets funny. I love the galloping throughout the whole movie!
on March 16, 2002
Monty Python -- what we laughed at B.D.(Before Dilbert). The Far Side of British humor. Monty Python and the Holy Grail -- their first feature film -- it's a good romp. I wondered before I bought the DVD if in this fast food, fast paced, "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" times if it would still be as funny.
The duel with the Black Knight would stand up.... but what about the Killer Rabbit? The banquet scene a la songfest... "Whot? THE CURTAINS?" The French guard... "Run away!" "Run away!" "Help! Help! I am being oppressed!" Yes, no, not even the Killer Rabbit paled with age. Someone get me a tissue -- I laughed until I cried.
The DVD quality is astonishingly good for an (originally) low budget flick. You are offered the options of 5.1 Dolby, Dolby Digital or good old mono. Like everything Python, even the number of commentary and subtitle options are beyond the beyond. I particularly enjoyed the cast bitching. Excellent. Just excellent.
The bonus materials add an exorbitant amount of value. The Monks sing-a-long segment is extremely well done. I was able to figure out the difficult hand movements immediately. "THWACK"
There is a lovely travelogue. Michael Palin and an old guy go wandering around some Scottish castles and glens. You get to see the inside of the castle on the island in the middle of the lake. "Do they host B&B guests?" was my only question.
Legos. The singing knights recreated in plastic animation. Near 'bout priceless.
But, even with all the extras: moaning and groaning, dancing Legos and at least, every bit of 10 minutes of additional animations -- not to mention the incredibly useful short about coconuts -- I think it is worth buying just for the film. Just to have it in your possession. So at anytime, you are a mere flick of the remote away from "Ni!! Ni!!"
And I would positively say this, even if they had left out the additional 24 seconds: it's worth it. It is cheaper than a single hour with a mental health professional, even after you have met your deductible.
on April 15, 2017
"Let me go back inside and face the peril." This is but one of many quotes that I love from this movie. As it was for many, when I first saw it, I hated it. But, in the days afterward I started thinking about certain scenes and started finding them funny. "I'm invincible! You're a loony!"
on January 10, 2017
My brother is a HUGE Monty Python fan and he tends to be hard to buy for so I was really happy to snag a lightning deal on this box set. He was beyond thrilled and thought the little farm animals and castle was hilarious. I'm pretty sure I scored some extra points with him since he seemed to like my gift the best this Christmas. Who doesn't enjoy the silly ridiculousness that is Monty Python and the Holy Grail? Only the Knights that say Nee! Don't be a Knight that says Nee! Buy this set and make the Monty Python fan in your life a happy man or woman.
on September 21, 2015
I watched this movie when it was first introduce so many times. Had my first cable TV so it was repeated again and again. You might think that I would not want to see it again but I could watch it again. Monty Python did a good thing for comedy with this movie. I know that some people do not like the British humor but it is probably rooted in my British ancestors. For me good entertainment.
on December 24, 2016
Classic film that I've seen many times. So iconic that if you ask Alexa (Echo) "what is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?" she will answer, "That depends if it's African or European." I have many friends and co-workers that can quote many parts of the film. There are few films that approach that level.