Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Moo Baa La La La
Workplace Solutions Best of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Gifts for Him hgg16 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services westworld westworld westworld  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

Format: Board book|Change

Showing 1-10 of 697 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
Shakespeare knew it, and parents and other adults know it: People love a comedy of errors. Perhaps the most delighted audience is the youngest; toddlers love hearing mistakes and correcting them. It's a surefire hit for their certain sense of humor, and Sandra Boynton exploits this beautifully in this small board book.

Just a few set-up lines and Boynton is ready for the book's main joke:

"A cow says MOO."

"A sheep says BAA."

"Three singing pigs say LA LA LA!"

"'No, no!' you say, 'that isn't right.

The pigs say OINK all day and night.'"

Practice your dramatic abilities and really ham it up (pun intended) when you read the singing pigs and "that isn't right" lines on pages 3 and 4. There's also some action (dogs chasing cats), and a nice quizzical conclusion: ("It's quiet now. What do you [underlined] say?")

Boynton's familiar style is whimsical and slightly tongue-in-cheek. Her animals have very expressive, human-looking emotions, conveyed mostly through the eyes. For example, a quacking duck and a neighing horse aren't intrinsically very interesting, but when they're facing each other with similarly baffled faces, there's a subtle humor. The singing pigs, by the way, are anything but subtle. They're pizzazed out in coordinating striped pants, solid sports coats, and elegant white bow ties. They excited pigs dance in unison and hold canes in a showy vaudeville style. For a short and simple board book aimed at the very young, this is lots of fun. For older toddlers, take a look at Boynton's counting book with a difference: "Hippos Go Berserk!" She knows and loves her animals, and so will your little one.
11 comment| 171 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2001
I couldn't believe my son's daycare provider when she told me that this was his absolute favorite book. When I bought it for him, I thought it would just be another fun one to read. But, this book really, REALLY teaches kids the sounds animals make. My son wasn't really saying a whole lot of words yet, but when I would read this book, all I would have to say was the first part of the sentence "The cow says..." and he would entusiastically say "MOOOOOOOO". It is now to the point where I don't even need the book. I just say "The sheep says...", and he will say "BAAAA". This is such a cool tool to use to teach animal sounds to little toddlers. I highly recommend it to any parent whose child is just beginning to speak.
on August 10, 2016
Awesome board book! We got this book only a week ago and it already became one of my daughter's favorites! It's perfect for her age (14 months) and she loves when I read it to her. She is learning what the animals say and imitating some of them too! I like that the illustrations are just the right amount, so she can focus better on them.

The rhymes are simple and grab my daughter's attention every time. We read it over and over again. I chose the board book with the thick board pages, so it lasts for more years. The Moo Baa La La La by Sandra Boynton is a book I would definitely recommend - fun, entertaining and educational.
review image review image review image review image
on March 4, 2016
I love kids books that rhyme, they are so nice to read! my son loves this book and is starting to say the sounds along with me as I read it. Cute illustrations with funny rhymes.. doesn't get any better.
on September 8, 1999
My 15-month old daughter knows all her animal sounds, thanks to this book. I first saw it at her daycare, and bought it for her when she was 7-months old. This book was quite the favorite, and before she was a year old, she was making the appropriate sounds, shaking her head, "No, no..." at the, "Three singing pigs go la-la-la," and whispering at the last page, "It's quiet now, what do *you* say?"
on October 21, 2016
I bought this book for my three 3.5 years and younger kids. They love books, and this one is definitely one of their favorites. My family and I just recently moved 7 months ago and we experienced 3 floods. Sadly I wasn't able to save all of their books and with no flood insurance, I'm glad that I'm able to buy this book at such a great price. My 3.5 year old is able to read back most of the book to me, so this is a great book if you want to try to get your kids to read to you instead! It's also an awesome book to make animal noises with your kids!
on January 25, 2016
Cow says Moo
Sheep says BAA
Three singing pigs say La La La

No, No you say, that isn't right
Pigs say Oink! all day and night!

I purchased this book when my daughter was about a year and half old. The text is simple and the pictures are pleasing. When we received the book, I thought it was too simple and that she would get bored. I was wrong! We have read this book HUNDREDS of times. For a while, it was her first and only choice. We read it so many times that I knew it by heart. If she was upset in the car we would start "reading" without the book. She would instantly simmer down and start filling in the animal sounds.

Fast forward a year after a move left it buried at the bottom of a box. We came across this gem of our collection. Now almost 3, she says, "My moo book, my moo book! Please read moo moo!" It was left, but not forgotten. What was once a staple in our bedtime routine now brings joy and delight to her one year old sister.

If you are looking to add this to your own library, DO IT! You won't regret it! It would also make a great baby shower gift or first birthday present. Some of our other Boynton favorites are Barnyard Dance and the Going to Bed Book.
VINE VOICEon January 23, 2016
Sandra Boynton's works are a staple in our baby/toddler/preschooler library. I am not going to sugarcoat this...if you want your kids to grow up to be intelligent, kind, generous and successful, you must get this book. And don't forget "But Not the Hippopotomus" or "the Going to Bed Book!" Yes, there is still a chance they could get into Ivy League schools without some of these foundational masterpieces, but why chance it?! If their futures matter at all, click "add to cart" now!!

Ok but really...how would we choose the best Boynton books? My favorite might be The Going to Bed Book but our kids adore this cute little animal sounds story. They also love Barnyard Dance and Snuggle Puppy with similar fervor.

You can't go wrong with any of them!!
on August 28, 2015
This was the first book we all memorized. My daughter can "read" it to herself now- she flips through the pages and moo's and baa's and la-la-la's right along with the story. This story is charming and cute, and it plays right into the toddler sense of humor. My daughter knows what sounds animals should make- so it's hilarious when an animal makes a different sound. The book is a great length with a short sentence on each page. The illustrations are cute and fun (much like the other Boynton books) and there's all sorts of places to make animal noises. The board book has thick, sturdy pages, so I don't worry about letting her read on her own.
on October 4, 2015
My youngest grandson loves it whenever I read this to him.He will be 2 years of age in late January.This is the second copy I purchased for him,he chewed the first one and messed up the binding.He often takes the book sits down in hallway on the floor and opens it up.Whenever we sit on the bed or the couch,he likes to take my finger and point to the animals and we make the sounds of the animals in the book.I enjoy reading with him,he's a 'Nana's boy'.My daughter also reads other books to him and his older brother who will be turning 3 on Oct 31st.