Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Board book|Change

Showing 1-10 of 805 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,140 reviews
on February 18, 2017
My toddler and I love Sandra Boynton books. This one was one of our favorite when she was a bit younger. I would read the book but leave it for my child to fill in the blanks and say the animals sounds. At the end of the book, I would point at the different animals and ask her the name of the animal or the animal sound.

Even though she's mastered animal noises and names she still picks this book up from time to time. Wonderful simple read that helps teach young kids about animals and their noises.
Sandra Boynton writes, hands down, my favorite children's books. I learned about them when our school librarian bought a couple for my daughter. Her illustrations are adorable and her stories are too! Barnyard Dance is my favorite,but I won almost all of them. Some are educational (Opposites) and some are just fun (Dinosaur Dance). I have also bought these as gifts and everyone absolutely adores them. If you are looking for a short, fun book for a little kid, get one of these. They might not be complex enough to hold the attention of older kids though (but I don't know because I don't have any older kids).
on November 12, 2016
I have read this book to a lot of kids and they all love it! It also came in excellent condition.
review image
on April 28, 2017
Sandra Boynton is one of our favorite authors for bedtime - the books are a manageable length with cute images and catchy written words. This particular option is great because it teaches little ones different animal sounds. We started to read this book a month before a visit to a farm animal sanctuary, and he was mooing, baaing, and oinking at all the animals. Definitely a worthwhile add to your little one's reading collection!
Shakespeare knew it, and parents and other adults know it: People love a comedy of errors. Perhaps the most delighted audience is the youngest; toddlers love hearing mistakes and correcting them. It's a surefire hit for their certain sense of humor, and Sandra Boynton exploits this beautifully in this small board book.

Just a few set-up lines and Boynton is ready for the book's main joke:

"A cow says MOO."

"A sheep says BAA."

"Three singing pigs say LA LA LA!"

"'No, no!' you say, 'that isn't right.

The pigs say OINK all day and night.'"

Practice your dramatic abilities and really ham it up (pun intended) when you read the singing pigs and "that isn't right" lines on pages 3 and 4. There's also some action (dogs chasing cats), and a nice quizzical conclusion: ("It's quiet now. What do you [underlined] say?")

Boynton's familiar style is whimsical and slightly tongue-in-cheek. Her animals have very expressive, human-looking emotions, conveyed mostly through the eyes. For example, a quacking duck and a neighing horse aren't intrinsically very interesting, but when they're facing each other with similarly baffled faces, there's a subtle humor. The singing pigs, by the way, are anything but subtle. They're pizzazed out in coordinating striped pants, solid sports coats, and elegant white bow ties. They excited pigs dance in unison and hold canes in a showy vaudeville style. For a short and simple board book aimed at the very young, this is lots of fun. For older toddlers, take a look at Boynton's counting book with a difference: "Hippos Go Berserk!" She knows and loves her animals, and so will your little one.
11 comment| 178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2017
My daughter adores this book, and will happily listen to me read it over and over; it's one of the ones she picks most often for story time. Sandra Boynton is one my favorite baby book authors; the flow of her books is good, she incorporates tons of animals and animal noises, which my daughter adores, and the illustrations are cute and engaging. I'm slowly collecting them all, and strongly recommend this book to anyone with a baby / toddler.
Sandra Boynton's works are a staple in our baby/toddler/preschooler library. I am not going to sugarcoat this...if you want your kids to grow up to be intelligent, kind, generous and successful, you must get this book. And don't forget "But Not the Hippopotomus" or "the Going to Bed Book!" Yes, there is still a chance they could get into Ivy League schools without some of these foundational masterpieces, but why chance it?! If their futures matter at all, click "add to cart" now!!

Ok but really...how would we choose the best Boynton books? My favorite might be The Going to Bed Book but our kids adore this cute little animal sounds story. They also love Barnyard Dance and Snuggle Puppy with similar fervor.

You can't go wrong with any of them!!
on June 9, 2017
Sandra Boynton is my favorite for littles!! I bought this as a baby shower gift as typically everyone is buying clothes for the new baby and I wanted to make sure this little one didn't miss out on the fun of these books!! I read them to my son 20 years ago and he LOVED them! They were short enough and durable enough to get years of use.
on July 29, 2017
Sandra Boynton is one of our favorite authors for when the kids were little. I purchased this book for a friend for their baby shower and they loved it too. Boynton pulls in the youngest "readers" with her sing song story and adorable pictures. This specific title was a favorite for my kids and I can still recite the book by heart without looking at the pages.
on July 2, 2017
Moo Baa La La La is my grandson's favorite book. It is the first book I read to him, he spent a while in the NICU when he was born, every night I would visit & read him this book before I went home. He's eight mos now, on his insistence Moo Baa La La is read to him at least 3 times a day & will remain in my heart forever.