Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 85% on textbooks Shop women's shoes nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Showing 1-10 of 318 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 504 reviews
on September 11, 2013
19 years ago I found myself in dire straights. I was clinically depressed. I was promptly prescribed a popular anti-depressant and I managed to climb out. But I didn't stay out. Subsequently I've had years of going on and off meds, side effects, trying all kinds of alternative therapies, etc. Frankly, I had lost all hope until I learned what's in this book.

Here in a nutshell is the supplemental strategy:

There are four major neurotransmitters:

Serotonin
Catecholamines (norepinephrine)
GABA
Endorphin

When we have deficiencies in any of these neurotransmitters, we start having emotional and mental problems.

Serotonin
Serotonin is the number one neurotransmitter deficiency. (That’s why it’s listed first.) It’s the feel-good chemical that makes us happy, hopeful, self-confident, and outgoing. It stops the worry and turns on enthusiasm.

Oh, and guess what is the number one enemy of serotonin? Caffeine. That’s right, caffeine depletes serotonin. So you might want to rethink that latte or cup of green tea.

Serotonin converts to melatonin as the sun goes down, so if you’re low in serotonin, you won’t be able to create enough melatonin — which means you won’t sleep well. If you suffer from insomnia, serotonin may help you.

Catecholamines
Catecholamines (the number two most common deficiency) are the brain chemicals that make us feel energized and give us the ability to concentrate. It’s caused by a deficiency in catecholamines. Need that cup of coffee to get going? You’re most likely low in catecholamines. And if you’re self-medicating with coffee or chocolate, you’re doing damage to your serotonin levels.

GABA
Stressed out? Can’t relax? You might be low in GABA, the third most common deficiency. GABA is a natural tranquilizer and muscle relaxer.

Endorphins
Most people know about endorphins from exercise — the “runner’s high.” Endorphins give us the ability to enjoy our lives and experience pleasure. When we are in pain, endorphins rush in to flush and flood us with pleasurable feelings.

Simply find out what deficiencies you have in descending order and treat accordingly with 5-HTP (Serotonin), DLPA or L-Tyrosine (Catecholamines), GABA (GABA), Exercise (Endorphins).

Note: if you're like me and you mainly have the first two deficiencies (Serotonin & Catecholamines) you'll want to kick the caffeine habit first since you'll likely run into a whole host of problems while taking 5-htp and still drinking coffee, even if its small amounts. While you're taking 5-htp it's raising serotonin, but you'll still be depleting your dopamine/norepinephrine supply, therefore still likely remaining somewhat depressed with little progress towards feeling better. Taking a good dose of DLPA (500-750mg) in the morning should allow you to stop drinking coffee (with little or no withdrawl) and also return your catecholamines to normal levels.

Now, why couldn't my doctor had told me this years ago, instead of giving me an antidepressant that only worked on just ONE of the problems?
542 people found this helpful
|99 comments|Report abuse
on July 25, 2010
In March of 2008 I had to let my insurance go. I am self employed and the cost had skyrocketed. As I knew the end was coming I tried to prepare by reading about and using holistic treatments as opposed to the five prescriptions that I was going to have to do without. I was diagnosed as severely clinically depressed in the late '90s. The very first prescription that I was ever given was one for 60mg., yes 60mg, of Prozac. The doctor(s) wanted to hospitalize me but I refused, opting instead to see the psychiatrist every other day....the first week was every day. I managed to get through this first year without killing myself and it is all just a blur. There were side effects to the drug that they "treated" with more drugs. I gained weight, lost weight, slept for 8 months, went through my entire life savings, etc., etc., you get the picture. I was a total mess. As time progressed I noticed that the drugs stopped working as effectively as they did in the beginning so I'd get switched.... I have it all written down somewhere but I think the last prescriptions I filled were for Wellbutrin & Zanyx.... plus sleeping pills.... I can not recall all of their names right now....I think I've blocked them out at this point because I simply do not need them or take them any longer.... and I feel SO SO SO much better than I ever did while on the drugs. Seriously, a million times better. I still have days that aren't pretty, just like I imagine everyone does, but I can manage those days by taking an extra dose of SAM-e or one extra tablet of 500mg. L-Tryptophan at night.

Another reviewer states it correctly here, this is not an overnight cure. However there are amino acids that even I felt better within one hour of taking them even while still a complete mess. I got The Mood Cure and The Diet Cure by Julia Ross and they both are invaluable to me. I learned so much from them about how things work in our bodies and what the cause and effect of what we put into our bodies is and what is happening when we are depressed or even when you have overwhelming urges to eat something like chocolate or carbs..... migraine headaches (which I have had) can be managed with the right combination of these amino acids, vitamins & minerals. I have never been anorexic or bulimic but those are also addressed and treatable in these books. Weight gain, weight loss, adrenal gland failure....it is all in these books. All completely treatable with the holistic means she tells you about in these books.

Dr. Ross spells it out beautifully in these books. You can see yourself and read about exactly what has happened to you right in these pages. It is such a wonderful experience to know that you can get better. I did. I promise you can as well. She is honest and says that she can not treat two things by holistic means alone, those are bi-polar disease and schizophrenia which Dr. Ross says must be treated by prescription medicine but can be greatly helped with holistic treatments in conjunction. With those two aside you can figure out how to treat your severe clinical depression like I did with a trial and error approach to the suggestions she makes in the books.

By the way, I really want to emphasize how important it is for you to take it extremely seriously how careful you are to get off of your prescription meds before you jump into "straight" holistics!! You could really crash and do serious harm to your psyche and also to your physical body if you are not careful. This is how I did it: I stayed on the meds while I learned to incorporate the aminos, etc. I would take a whole dose one day, 1/2 the next...I did this for one whole month. The second month I would do two days of 1/2 doses, then one whole....it took me several months, maybe 4, to completely get off of the prescription meds so please please be careful. You can have a severe set back if you just stop or stop too soon.

With that said I also incorporated the aminos into my day as I was weening off the scrips. One of the great things about natural treatments like amino acids is that once your body has been refueled and doesn't need any more, say 5-HTP, or L-tryptophan, then you will get a MILD headache so you'll know you don't need that any more. But keep it, because if you have a bad life experience (like a mate dying or a family member, etc.) then you can understandably need to use them again until your supply is built back up.

It took me until now from a start in March of '08, so 2.5 years, to be completely certain that I no longer need to take any of them! I still take a small (for me) dose of 500mg L-Tryptophan at night and occasionally I'll take a 200mg of SAM-e in the a.m. but for the most part I am strictly maintenance now....but the first year I was taking 6000mg, yes, six thousand mgs per day of L-Tryptophan, high grade pharm powder, plus L-tyrosine, and a few others. I feel that my adrenal gland was just completely shot and I know I was right because I am the living proof of it now. You will FEEL what is right for you as you try different suggested things in the book. Complete relief does not happen over night but enough relief to function can come within an hour of taking the right amino, just as they tell you in the book.

I've waited this long to review the books because I wanted to really get to the point where I feel "cured" and I do. I feel very well. My energy level is good, my moods are mostly even and level headed, I sleep very well and I have an appetite for wonderful healthy foods.

The only other thing I can tell you that I have used to get where I am now is Weston A. Price Foundation (WAPF) and their opinions on whole foods & cod liver oil....invaluable. Also, they are big believers in all organic, including meat, and raw organic dairy. Which I also advocate.

So, good luck. My very best wishes for your improved health and happy life. I know it is possible. I'm living proof.
950 people found this helpful
|5150+ comments|Report abuse
on July 13, 2017
I was suffering adrenal exhaustion. While miserable in bed I came across this book on line. I have it both in hard copy and on my kindle. You can look up symptoms and go from there. I ordered supplements through Amazon (using the book recommended brands) from my bed.
I started taking supplements, I started sleeping better and located a naturopath. In 6 months I was feel so much better. It has been 5 years and I still refer back to this book. I bought it for my daughter too.
20 people found this helpful
on April 13, 2018
I'm so grateful to have found this book! After being on SSRI's for essentially the last 20 years of my life, I thought I'd never be able to get off of them. Every time I've tried I ended up dealing with horrible withdrawal (dizziness, panic attacks, brain zaps, etc) and then about a month after weaning, I'd fall into an awful depression. After reading this book, I created a plan for myself and slowly began weaning off of my antidepressants, while using amino acid supplements instead. I've had AMAZING results. I've had absolutely no withdrawal symptoms AND my depression and anxiety issues have been better than ever. This is the real deal, and for the first time in my life I can see a future that doesn't require daily medication. Highly recommended!!
12 people found this helpful
on August 22, 2014
If you are tired of being tired...and sick of being told you need an antidepressant when you know you're not depressed, then get ready to feel validated. Our brains are malnourished. Its just that simple. Dr. Julia Ross breaks down into the easiest to understand terms why this is chronic in our society, and how easy (and affordable) it is to remedy. She is my hero.
38 people found this helpful
on January 11, 2018
This book was very helpful for me to calm down anxiety and panic attacks. The questionnaires (also available online, with an additional one for sugar-management, on her web site) will help you locate yourself. But you'll need the book to get a good list of supplements to try, and in which order.

This book also helped a friend of mine, as well.

Ultimately, however, I think the book needs an update. Highly recommended, though.
7 people found this helpful
on December 7, 2015
This book has changed my life. I felt guilty about the stress and anxiety I had felt for many years. Why couldn't I just calm my brain down. After reading this book, I realized I was simply missing some amino acids in my system. The purchase of some cheap supplements made all the difference.
15 people found this helpful
on December 7, 2017
Very helpful. I’ve tried to get off anti depressants for years and I thought impossible until I began reading this book. Julia Ross gives lots of recommendations on how to make a successful end to taking these. Most doctors insist you shouldn’t go off. “Diabetics have to take insulin” is a common thread. Pharmaceuticals make it next to impossible. This and a website, Dominateddepression.com, (T.J Nelson)makes the transition possible. Not there yet but gradually getting there!
8 people found this helpful
on May 30, 2016
It is chockfull of info on different forms of mood/ depression/anxiety/panic/blahs and which amino acids you need to fix problem. I started with tyrosine and felt out of the blahs and more energetic in minutes!! Amazing info to solve mental health issues safely and oftentimes without meds. Really fantastic reading.
11 people found this helpful
on May 2, 2018
This is an excellently written book. Dr. Ross presents neatly a great way to drop the drug-dealer worthy addictive chemicals of psychopharmacology and start focusing on putting your brain back into a healthy pattern. (Needless to say this is the book Big Pharma/legal drug dealers doesn't want you reading) By adding back to our diet the natural nutrients our brains need (and every brain is different) we can get a handle on our issues and get a great jump start to our quest for mental health. Dr. Ross used evidence based, scientific logic in explaining why various amino acids, herbs, and vitamins are needed to correct for various kinds of brain imbalances.

And the best part about her book is she reveals you don't even need to be taking the supplements forever. Once you hold a healthy pattern long enough your own system adapts and you won't need the boosters anymore.

With some help from this book I was able to drop my SSRI and switch to occasional St John's wort. My baseline mood and sleeping patterns are much improve.
4 people found this helpful