Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 71 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 199 reviews
on January 3, 2015
Since many other posts discuss the story of In the Mood for Love, this review will be about the quality of the blu ray edition. It is wonderful to have my all time favorite movie on blu ray. The picture is very good for a movie that came out 15 years ago, definitely being an improvement over the DVD. Colors are vivid, images are sharper, and I even like the way the subtitles look better than the DVD. While the level of sharpness isn't what you will see on recent high definition films, this blu ray is the best version there will probably ever be of this film, and I must say I am very pleased with it. If you love this movie like I do and are considering making the jump to blu ray, I say go for it while this blu ray is available at this price. I missed out on acquiring the Criterion Collection blu ray of Chungking Express before it went out of print, so I am glad I did not make this mistake with In the Mood For Love.
on October 30, 2010
I had no idea who Wong kar-wai was when I saw IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE at an international film festival in 2000. Nor was I familiar with actors Tony Leung Chiu-wai or Maggie Cheung. Or cinematographer Christopher Doyle. So I had no idea what to expect. Which may be the best possible frame of mind to be in when about to encounter the sublime...

A gorgeous, atmospheric, sensual and very artful film, it centers on a man and a woman who rent rooms in the same home in cramped Hong Kong, 1962. Each is married, though we don't see their spouses. In fact, we don't really see many other people, and we usually see the two in close quarters, whether together or apart - at home, at work, in the street, in a restaurant, in the back of a cab. There is much to this film beneath its lush, color-saturated surface...it is a mesmerizing exploration of repressed desire, the other side of infidelity...and lost time. Wong's use of Nat King Cole on the soundtrack, singing in Spanish, is inspired.

Since seeing IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE, I've made a point to see Wong's other films (and own some of them): DAYS OF BEING WILD (1991), CHUNGKING EXPRESS (1994), HAPPY TOGETHER (1997) and 2046 (2004). Wong kar-wai is one of the great contemporary auteurs and I look forward to his upcoming release, THE GRAND MASTER, starring Tony Leung Chiu-wai and Zhang Ziyi.

I've also sought out other films featuring the great Tony Leung Chiu-wai (who has won 5 Hong Kong Film Awards for Best Actor and 2 for Best Supporting Actor) and Maggie Cheung (winner of 5 Hong Kong Film Awards for Best Actress); the two appeared together in the 2002 Zhang Yimou epic, HERO.

Interested? Here's a link to the website for IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE, a masterpiece.

[...]
on March 17, 2014
In The Mood for Love is one of the great movies of the new millennium. The Criterion blu ray is excellent. The auteur Wong Kar Wai is incomparable in presenting textures in his movies: sounds, fabrics in clothing and decorations, mood, actors. Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Maggie Chung give extraordinary performances as the cuckolded spouses, who develop a friendship, and possible emotional relationship. The visuals and music are stunning. Maggie Chung's wardrobe is astonishing [for this viewer], a different dress for each hour of the day [at least so it seems]. Tony Leung was named 2001 Cannes Film Festival Best Actor for his portrayal--deservedly so. In the Mood for Love, Chungking Express, Happy Together, and 2046 are the great Kar Wai's greatest achievments [so far]. Highly, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
on December 15, 2013
This film on Bluray really shines. The bitrate, coming from Criterion, is a little low for my tastes at around 25Mbps, but it still looks gorgeous and the encode is great. A lot of extras on here as well that fans will appreciate. The story takes place in Hong Kong, 1962: Chow Mo-wan and Su Li-zhen move in next door to each other and the film goes from there, examining ideas about love, alienation, sadness, etc. And with Wong Kar-wai you know the film is just absolutely gorgeous as it comes from a mature director at this point. His earlier films sometimes lacked grace, but this one has it in spades. The entire project presents a sumptuous and grand look that is hard to shake from your mind. I recommend it at any level for all aspiring directors and also anyone interested in filmmaking.
on August 11, 2007
Even though this was on the list of my movies to review, it was not on top of the stack. But today I had a conversation with one of my friends about moral high ground. That prompted me to pick this up.

This is an old(er) movie. But not many may have seen it. So this is my way of recommending it to all the readers of this blog.

Also in a time where morality seems to be measured by whom (race, gender etc) you love rather than by how you love, this movie speaks volumes.

The plot is fairly simple. A simple story of neighbors - a man and a woman, who find out that their spouses are having an affair. Somehow this catalyzes a strong friendship between them. And that is the only thing simple about this movie.

The treatment of the movie makes the viewer almost feel like a voyeur - lurking behind doors and corners watching them as they keep denying their longing and love for each other. By the latter half of the movie one is rooting for them to shake off these bonds and embrace their attraction.

The movie is set in the 60's Hong Kong, a time when women still wore beautiful dresses and men were gentlemen who wore suits and jazz was the preferred genre of music. (I always contend that the world was a much better place when men wore suits and listened to jazz.)

One is driven to think "Why don't they get together? Their spouses are already cheating on them."

That is where their sense of true fidelity and decency comes to the fore. It makes the case that morality is not a relative term. It is a set of ideals that one has to strive for no matter what turmoils surround you. And using someone else's immoral conduct to justify one's behaviour is just a poor excuse for our own weaknesses.

'Random Hearts' starring Harrison Ford and the oh-so-beautiful and charming Kristin Scott Thomas, did try to explore a similar subject. But for any story dealing with human emotions, subtlety is the key. And Wong Kar Wai literally gives an education about the art of silent glances and unspoken emotion in this movie

My final word on this is a quote from this movie itself.

"You notice things if you pay attention"
on November 27, 2001
Tony Leung is a journalist in Hong Kong, who rents a room with his wife in a family apartment. Next door, Maggie Cheung has done the same thing with her husband, who is almost always away on business.
As part of Kar-wai's game plan, neither the wife, nor the husband, is seen. They exist and are talked about, but never introduced.
Both Leung and Cheung's characters are painfully polite, which means you don't know what they're thinking. Even when it becomes obvious that their other halves are having an affair, it takes ages for either of them to respond. The idea of an emotional outburst would be unthinkable.
The film is so subtle and slow and internalized that it crystallizes into a thing of beauty. Longing has been choked by a thousand years of acceptable behavior. The cut of Cheung's dresses and the sheen of Leung's hair take on an unexpected importance in what appears to be Kar-wai's experiment into the purity of unconsummated passion.
By now this one is the most beautiful movie I had ever seen.
Every shot is like a poem. Each picture is a work of art.
I couldn't help myself from repeating the scenes again and again just to make sure i hadn't miss a thing.
A masterpiece.
on May 13, 2016
This is one of my favorite movies of all time. The buying noodle shot/cinematography is so so so so sexy - I have not seen something so mundane made epic and cinematic. Love the persistent nod to Asian culture and its inevitable desire for reticence.
on May 3, 2001
I don't think that I have exorcised this film from my consciousness, and I'm not sure I want to. I first saw it in a theater about two months ago and recently saw it again, concerned that it wouldn't be as affecting the second time. Kar-Wei's film was not only as moving, but probably more so. I'm sure many people here will claim that this film possesses a slim plot and/or scarce dialogue in an effort to deride it. I don't view films to focus on plot or characterization or cinematography individually... I look to be changed by the experience... as this film did to me. I felt the pain of the characters, a credit to Kar-Wei and the brilliant acting of Maggie Cheung (Man-Yuk) and Tony Leung (Chiu-Wai). Don't expect to be beaten over the head like you would by viewing a Hollywood production... you will have to look closely at this film to discover the gold within.
on August 18, 2008
This movie is simply enchanting. The director's consummate use of color, the musical score, and the detailed attention to the historical setting -- 60's Hong Kong -- was sublime. The main characters are statuesquely beautiful and Mrs Chan, in particular, is delectable in her body hugging dresses (qipao). The real thrill is the story line: erotic, without being coarse, passionate and sensual without being prurient, provocatively sexy and yet moral. Its a refreshing change from the lascivious drivel that we often endure from Hollywood. Interview excerpts in the second CD (Criterion collection), especially the director's commentaries, as well as the alternative endings are both revealing and captivating.
on February 23, 2014
In the Mood is the most contained, sensual, unrequited love story with Tony Leung and Maggie Chang. The attraction is palpable between the two but social dictates and spouse keep the two at check. Sensual, romantic, unresolvable. Beautifully made film.