Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 749 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 948 reviews
on March 22, 2017
Moon Dance, the first book in a serious about a quippy vampire detective, is a great introduction not just to the characters but to the whole vibe of the story. I loved how very "Southern California" it felt, like a modern, snarkier version of Chinatown or something. The mystery was fine, but the real reason to read this book is in the clever narration and all the random supernatural details that keep popping up. J. R. Rain created a clear, consistent world that I can't wait to return to.
on April 20, 2017
Samantha Moon worked her way through school to get her Master in Criminal Justice, married a lawyer and worked as a federal agent and had two kids. Her life was good. Then she survived a vampire attack. Her husband was at first supportive and helped her come up with a cover story and start a new career as a PI from home. It has been six years and Sam's husband's cheating has become blatant. He knows what happened to her is not her fault but he hates her anyway. JR is a man who knows how to write a woman's voice and turns out a funny sad and wise procedural that just happens to have a vampire mom as a hero.
on January 30, 2016
I really liked this book, I liked the humor and the supernatural parts in it too. Samantha didn't deserve what happened to her but she was doing the best she could with her situation and her family. She didn't lose any of her skills when it came to investigating but she was able to add some more supernatural ones. Also a few unexpected friends as well. Her client Kingsley was one of them and as was Detective Sherbet became someone who began to trust her skills but questioned a lot of other things about her. And he was pretty astute. I liked both of those people and she sure had some interesting and often funny conversations with them both. I remember laughing more than once while I was reading it. Samantha had a kick-ass attitude that came out her mouth and her fists at times. She was also loving and kind hearted and adored her children. This story had several different mysteries going on but they were good ones.
This book ended with many things completed but a few not that lead into another book. So, cliffhanger? Both Yes and No. If you are happy with how it ended then, "No". If you want to find out who her computer buddy, Fang is, and if Kingsley becomes more to Samantha then "Yes" somewhat a cliffhanger. Personally I want to see Samantha take back the upper hand from her husband. I could understand his fears but he failed to even see Samantha as a human woman with feelings. He was just disgusted by her, and he didn't seem to be all that warm and fuzzy towards his own kids either. He sure liked being in control though. The two men that are in Samantha's life, both seem to understand her pretty well. I've got my suspicions on who Fang is, wonder if I'm right?
on July 2, 2017
I was hooked completely after reading the first book! Great stories, fast pace, and a really believable main character, Samantha Moon. So happy that the entire series is offered as Kindle Unlimited books. I feel like I struck gold with this series. If you read this first book and like it, you will undoubtedly like the rest of the series. Happy reading!!
on February 23, 2016
Current time. People don't believe in vampires or werewolves. Especially cops.
But 6 years ago, Samantha Moon was bitten and turned. Upside down. Had to leave her job as an investigator for HUD, and became a PI working from home. Now she loses her husband and 2 children. And she gains a werewolf/lawyer, a nosy cop, and has an online friend. Oh, and she learns to shapeshift and fly.
Still more sad than not. But engaging, and leaves you wanting to hunt up the next in the series.
Dina Pearlman is a good fit in her performance as narrator in this first person account. She gives further depth to each of the characters, including the mental mutterings.
Purchased on the cheap as Whispersync through BookGorilla.
on April 15, 2012
Six years ago, a stranger changed Samantha Moon's life forever. A federal agent, Samantha was bitten by the stranger. She was a wife and mother with a happy family life. Now, a vampire, she works as a private investigator. Since Sam is now a vampire, she must do her investigating at night. Her explanation is she now has a rare skin disease, which forces her to stay out of the sunlight. Her husband is unhappy, tells her she is too cold. She works nights, since the sun burns her skin. Sam is hired to find a shooter, one who police have been unable to identify. The man that hired her was shot 5 times on live TV, and wants to know who it was.

This is a very different vampire story. If you are looking for the typical vampire in a coffin, that kills to survive by drinking blood, you will be disappointed. If you want a good, exciting story with a heroine that does everything possible to allow her children to grow up normal, this adventure mystery is for you! This is an excellent fantasy story. It not only grabbed my interest, but I kept reading it because I wanted to know how the characters were doing. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and continued with the next book in the series.

I think the author today that can take something old and put a new twist on it and make it work is rare. J.R. Rain has done that with this series. Having taken the vampire and remade it in this fashion, he has created a series that is both fascinating and interesting. I was actually disappointed to find out the entire series was not available for my Kindle at this time.
on September 11, 2017
Moon Dance, the first book in a series about a vampire detective, is a great introduction not just to the characters but to the whole vibe of the story. Samantha Moon with a Masters in Criminal Justice, married a lawyer, had two children and worked as a federal agent. Her life was happy until a random vampire attack six year sago. She started a new career as a PI from home.
An absolutely wonderfully written book.
on August 11, 2015
I had overspent my self imposed kindle budget for the month and this title got my interest because of the good reviews as well as the free price tag. (I have since paid for the next 3 books in the series!) I'm glad I tried it since it turns out I am a fan of Sam Moon and her quirky life. I enjoy how Sam is learning as she goes, only having been made a vampire 6 years ago and then left on her own in the modern world to figure things out. She's trying to keep it together like any devoted mother would but being undead in the human world will of course cause problems and hilarity in some cases ensue. She's left her day job as a government agent and gone into private investigating to attempt to keep her own hours but it doesn't always work out the way she plans. In addition to the supernatural themes of this series of books, mysteries are solved, love interests come and go, plenty of action and adventure, twists and turns. The writing is good, if I'm being critical there were a lot of cliches thrown in but it's a lighthearted read and for what I consider humorous fiction, that sort of thing doesn't bother me.
on September 5, 2017
After I read this book I was forever committed to his books! Any book that he writes is so enthralling with deep nuances into our world and where we came from. Samantha is a force unto herself. She overcomes a terrible attack and an equally terrible husband. She is able continue to love and mother her children while becoming a creature typically believed to be fiction.
on June 1, 2016
The description said, ​"True Blood meets Stephanie Plum." I love True Blood (at least, the first few seasons), and I loved Stephanie Plum. So, I took a shot at this book. I enjoyed it a lot. The story was fun and funny. Samantha, or Sam, was cute. I felt for the poor woman. I don't do spoilers by going over what the story is about. Read the synopsis if you want to know. Sam has my sense of humor. She is a wonderful mother. She tries to be the best wife she can given the circumstances. And her husband... I just wanna slap him into tomorrow. But what can you do?
I will say I find it annoying that Amazon teases you by giving the first book of a series for free then charges you $3.99 for the rest. BUT there is a light: the rest of this series is available on Kindle Unlimited. If you're a speedy reader, you can read the rest of the series in the 1-month free trial if you haven't used it yet. If you have, $9.99 is nothing compared to the $3.99 you'd have to pay for all the rest of the series, and there are 11 books so far. There's supposed to be 19 in the series according to J.R. Rain's website. The 10 bucks are cheap in comparison. I will be continuing this series (I've already finished Vampire Moon actually). I hope things get better for Samantha.