Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 218 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 263 reviews
on October 2, 2016
Rylie, a typical teenager distraught about her parents divorce and rebellious against their decision to protect her from the evil of the process, is forced to attend a summer camp.

Shy and timid, she hides in the pages of her journal where she feels protected in a cocoon away from the mean girls who care more about fashion and bullying. Safe that it is until she is attacked in the woods by an enstranged wild animal and her memory lost of the attack or how she made it back to the camp safely.

Meeting Seth a boy supposedly from the other camp that is forbidden, Rylie soon learns that she only has three months to keep from changing into the evil creature that has changed her life forever.

After the death of her father, will her love for Seth and for being human be enough reason for her to fight the change? Or will she sacrifice herself to save the campers and the boy she loves?

S. M. Reine creates a unique love story that blossoms from the horrific truth of an ancient legend. She keeps you on the edge of your seat and glued to what the characters will do next.

Its hard to find a story that captivates me long enough to finish reading it in a couple of days. I love this first novel in the Seasons of the Moon series and l am looking forward to reading the next chapter in Rylie’s story.
on February 4, 2013
I was really worried right from the start of Six Moon Summer. Rylie is staying at a three month long summer camp where she has no friends and has no interest in making any. In general I hate boarding school stories because of how much drama and cattiness they breed; summer camp has the same feel as a boarding school. There's enough angst in real life, I don't have much interest in reading about it in depth. That said, the story started off with me worrying and finding it angsty in another way. I didn't know Rylie well enough to like her but I felt intense pity for her in the beginning. Rylie's parents are in the midst of a divorce and my impression is they want her at camp to keep her out of the way not to spare her any of the ugliness.

"Rylie considered the words with a frown. Camp could be interesting, I guess. Maybe if I see it as a learning thing instead of a punishment for the divorce...?"

At about a quarter of the way into Six Moon Summer, I still had no idea how I felt about the book up to that point. Rylie was... unlikable. I originally felt sorry for her and I understood where her anger and hostility came from (her situation and the oncoming werewolfism). However, she was just as drama seeking and petty as the other campers that she hated. She was constantly nasty and feeling sorry for herself yet they were situations she'd gotten herself into. I found myself enjoying the idea of the book a lot but it wasn't going to be enough as the story continued.

"Why had Rylie, of all people, been bitten? She was going to become a wolf at the end of summer, and she hadn't done anything to deserve it."

"He nodded. "The library is in the back room. Kids aren't allowed."
"No wonder, if they've got stuff on werewolves," Rylie muttered. "How do we get in?""

I did a whole lot of my own suspension of disbelief in Six Moon Summer but was too farfetched. I love paranormal/fantasy so the werewolf aspect wasn't my issue. I had a problem with the counselors having secret werewolf books, Seth being the one to guide her and always showing up at exactly the right moment/knowing everything (some of the Seth stuff eventually gets explained but it doesn't change the fact that it was 100% ridiculous and unbelievable until you get to that point and Rylie eats it up), Rylie's constant rule breaking and general obnoxiousness not getting her kicked out or some sort of real punishment until far down the line... I couldn't immerse myself into a novel when I don't find anything believable.

I was not a fan of how werewolves were tackled in this book. I like books where werewolves are the dark heroes typically, but them being evil is okay too. In Six Moon Summer they aren't really either... they're rabid animals. This is very much a personal preference thing. Reading a different take on werewolves was refreshing and interesting but it wasn't something that I enjoyed.

Rylie was horribly whiny, constantly feeling sorry for herself when she was the cause of her problems, and frankly she wasn't a nice person. I don't see how any of her 'friends' liked her. She claims Cassidy was a close enough friend to risk getting into trouble by sneaking her out yet all I saw was her avoid Cassidy in a mean way and use her.

""That's not fair!" Rylie complained. She never got to see Seth unless something was wrong. She wanted one chance to have fun before the summer ended. Her chin quivered as she tried not to cry. "Everyone else gets to go!""
*She stole the counselors' car which resulted in privileges being taken away*

I actually liked the ending despite its bittersweet quality. I will probably give the next book in the series a try before I decide whether to continue on or give up.

This review was a little harsher than I intended it to be. I definitely didn't hate the book but Rylie pressed every button I have and apparently I had a lot to say about that. I would recommend Six Moon Summer to readers who like lots of action and can forgive a whiny heroine. Reine kept the book fast paced with very few quiet moments.
on July 6, 2012
This book was alright. It is about a girl who is almost sixteen, yet it reads younger. I would recommend it for the middle school crowd.

That being said, the story itself had a great plot. I was guessing until the end about the mysterious boy and the rogue werewolf. S.M. Reine did a good job with the element of surprise.

I liked Riley as a character. She is going through a tough time, yet she is shouldered with the burden of being bitten by a werewolf. As if that isn't hard enough, the girls at camp don't get along with Riley. She would be miserable at camp if it wasn't for Seth.

I had a few issues with the book, but overlooked them for the good of the story. There was an immense lack of description in this book. The author told and didn't do much showing. Also, the narration throughout the story is from Riley's P.O.V. Then, the last chapter is Seth's P.O.V. That only served to confuse readers.

Overall, the plot was good and I am curious to read the next book in the series. (There are four books total) Middle grade YA would enjoy this werewolf story.
on January 6, 2014
There's something in the forest that's killing people....

lol I'm getting ahead of myself. Rylie goes to camp because her parents' divorce settlement isn't going well with her there, but she finds out that camp isn't as boring as she thought it'd be, not when there's a hot boy and a monster lurking in the forest. And after she gets attacked, things get a whole lot more interesting.

This was a great YA story that kept me entertained. Rylie is a little annoying but she's a teen who makes mistakes, so I don't hold it against her. She was only annoying once, the rest of the time she grew on me. The writing flowed and I loved Seth, he was hot and kind of crush-worthy. Their love story and the build up was fun, and who doesn't like camp stories?
on September 16, 2012
If I see the word werewolf I usually pass it up. I feel lowering the great beast, the wolf, to such as human is wrong to both species. That said, somehow I found this in my Kindle reads. And I was surprised by how quickly I gobbled it up! Though it has been sitting in my 'currently reading' shelf for a while, I really only started reading it today.

I love camping so it was fun that the story takes place at camp. I never HAD to go to camp as the poor MC did. So this was a different take on the new generation and their bullies and troubles, at camp.

I like the characters and the story. The writing was smooth and enticing. I wanted to see what would happen next. I have the next couple books in the series and look forward to seeing more.
on February 16, 2014
I want to make readers aware that all four of the books in this series are very much young adult appropriate. A ten year old would be able to read this series without running into sex, or curse words. No real gore, but there is some light horror moments. I found it to be less scary than Goosebumps. This may cause issues later as the series get progressively more adult, until the sex becomes graphic. The sex is honestly not that often, perhaps once a book or so.

From a writer’s perspective this can cause you problems. It means your reading age isn't consistent. You could lose younger readers this way. If the books weren't so intertwined in the same world this probably wouldn't be a problem. But, a young reader who likes the story and the world will probably want to read the next one which is suddenly full of sex, curse words, and descriptive gore and horror.

This is just my opinion, and kids are probably more adult than I remember. To me though, it was an abrupt shift.

I would rate Six Moon Summer Book One of Seasons of the Moon at PG to PG13. Star rating, about 3*s. Let me explain why only three stars.

So far I have never seen SM Reine charge for this book. Because of that I will probably jump the number of stars from three to four when leaving a review. I have to respect her giving me something I enjoy reading for free. Based on the story only, the writing, the cover art, and the description I want to say three stars.

I’m not going to describe the story in depth. You can read the review and any of the reviews on Amazon for that. But the basic story line for Six Moon Summer is: Rylie gets bitten by a werewolf. The next day this hot, black guy follows her around and seems to know all about werewolves: Seth. Seth tells her that if she fights the change for three months, and 6 moons, she won’t become a werewolf.

Moon is a vague word to use. Now to be clear, what the author means is every New Moon, and Full Moon. This is SM Reine’s werewolf lore.

The reason I rate it three stars is because the story is incredibly cliche and redundant. Normal girl isn't so normal anymore. Werewolves are falling off the shelves. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I started reading and therefore I wasn't disappointed. I wanted some candy and I got some.

This candy was actually better quality than I anticipated. While the story and plot were predictable the writing was clear and precise. I didn't notice very many errors, and definitely not in the first page. Because of this, the predictable plot was far more enjoyable. The cliche characters had great development. I could see exactly who they were in my mind.

Though apparently Seth is black, for some reason this eluded me until the end of the second series. I don’t know if that was my bad, or the author’s. I have nothing against interracial couples, nothing at all. But it shocked my mind’s image of the character into something I had to rearrange. Not great for a reader.

The action builds nicely, and the climax gave me just enough answers while handing me a few more questions. These questions pushed me on to read Book Two. SM Reine accomplished her goal with this book.

Reine introduced me to her world and her characters, and then got me to want to know more, and to keep reading.

From a writer's perspective I would like to evaluate the whole package. The cover clearly communicates what the story is going to be about, and it's eye-catching. If you're into paranormal you would probably think this is going to be a great read.

Reine's title adds to the picture of the wolf. Clearly the wolf and the moon mean something to the girl in the picture. "Six Moon Summer" is a little confusing, but I looked at it and figured the author would tell me what she meant in her story. I was right.

Her book description was as cliche as the story, but it gave me enough information to know exactly what I was about to get into, and that I might like it. I don't know if it's the best, but it gets the point across. I did like the use of a tagline. Something like that could be used for quite a few things.

I have noticed Reine does not do this for every book. I feel like, as a writer, you should be consistent with your work and they way you present it.

I probably won't be reading this book again, but I would definitely recommend it to those who like candy.

[...]
on December 18, 2013
In Six Moon Summer, by SM Reine, Rylie is a troubled child from a broken home, who is sent to camp while her parents spend the summer getting their d-i-v-o-r-c-e. While "acting out" she is a pain in the behind to camp supervisors, demanding special food, respect from bratty cabin-mates, and sulks much of the time, preferring to sit in her cabin and write in her journal all day refusing to participate in camp activities.

Enough psycho-babble. Rylie does have serious problems for a girl her age in a situation she is unable to cope with. Being "hazed" by her cabin-mates does not endear the life at camp to her, so she isolates herself whenever possible just to avoid them. On a night's escape, she is attacked. She wakes in the morning and makes her way back to camp, unaware that her life has just changed dramatically.

The day Seth walks into her life and befriends her, she isn't sure why this one person in the whole world fails to condemn her as a "freak" as everyone else she has ever tried to be friends with has, but she is grateful for his friendship.

When she discovers that her nighttime attacker was a werewolf, and she was bitten, Seth helps her get through the nights she is induced to change with the moon.

As Rylie begins to love Seth, she does not realize that Seth has also begun to love her. What she also does not realize is that Seth and his entire family are werewolf hunters, and he is keeping track of her so he can kill her if she fails to fight the final changes that will finalize her transformation into a full-fledged werewolf.

I can not give away the ending, this review is not a "spoiler," but I will tell you that I seized the opportunity to acquire the rest of the series.

I found this to be a great story. The werewolf issue that complicates the love story, the fact that Seth is hoping to save Rylie from her fate but determined to kill her if she is unable to resist the transformation adds more than mere romance to a "summer camp" story. The writing is excellent. The story flows seamlessly from one point to the next. The reader is caught up and swept along.

I would like to advise SM Reine, though, that canine anatomy is such that they walk upon what would be a human's "tip-toes," not our "feet," so what might be construed as their "knees" breaking "backward" are actually equal to a human's ankles, not our knees. The human knee would correspond to that joint in the canine body that bends forward just before the leg muscles seem to disappear into the main body beneath the main part of the coat of the animal...at the top of the leg, where a human's groin would be. (The canine equivalent of the human "femur" then continues upward and attaches to the pelvic bone just as ours does). However, a little literary license is granted to all writers, as it is his or her world, and she/he can write it any way she/he wants to.

It was, as I said, an excellent story, and I was happy that I read it. I recommend it to all who like both werewolf stories and young adult romance.
on July 29, 2014
This is a great start to the series! I have to admit, some parts of the book were pretty predictable, such as the werewolf's true identity, but even with the predictability, this was a fun and action packed read.

I really enjoyed Rylie and Seth as characters. Such a star-crossed love! The wolf and the hunter. I really like this dynamic.

One complaint I was going to make was that the book seemed so short! When I finished, I wondered if it was a novella, I read it so quickly, but then I looked at the page length and realized that I was wrong. It's a full length book at nearly 200 pages, but I was so into the book that I read it very quickly.

Again, a great start to the series! I'm so glad I have the entire series so I can eat it up. I can't wait to start book two!
on August 5, 2014
I liked this book and for a YA paranormal romance, think it stands up pretty well. It's refreshing to have werewolves back to the evil, blood thirsty creatures they used to be, instead of hunky, strong, good guy heroes.

I think Rylie is pretty much a perfect character for a fifteen year-old, obsessing over all the wrong things and not seeing the bigger picture. Being British, summer camp is unknown territory for me and I always find the subject fascinating. School is bad enough without being put into much more intimate settings with all the people you hate!

Yes there may be a couple of continuity errors or little holes in the plot, but to be honest, I felt the story was interesting enough to carry it through without them being glaringly obvious. After all, when wrapped up in a mystery or action scene, you want to go with the flow, and the writing and dialogue style is enough to allow you to do so without over thinking it all.

Tailored to young teens, this book works very well, and even I enjoyed it and had to buy the next in the serious to see how things turned out.
on June 5, 2012
I wasn't sure I wanted to read this book when I saw it was a young readers book. I am glad I gave it a try. This was a well written book. You spend the story in the head of a young girl, Rylie. You don't end up with that eye rolling, gee this girl is annoyingly stupid feel. She is that just right mix of young, but not over the top smarter than her age. I enjoyed how the book did not get hung up on one style of writing. There was no slow stops where you feel the writer is hung up on dragging out only when she looks at a boy, or only the action scene, ect. Looking forward to seeing where the story goes from here.