Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 117 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 154 reviews
on September 6, 2014
This is a great book if you want to know the moonshiner's culture of the day. The book was well written, but it was still "hard" to read only because of the stark reality of the abuse people endured in that day and culture. I am writing a novel that touches on that time and culture. The "Moonshiner's Daughter" provided much needed information. I am very sorry you had to endure that kind of abuse. No person should have to be subjected to it. But, I'm very glad you were able to tell your story. Thank you. Dena
on August 25, 2013
My wife and I had the privilege of meeting the author in her store in Waynesville. She told us of her plans to publish this book.We never got back again. My wife died 3 years ago. I am glad she got this published and I enjoyed it very much. There are few books that tell the truth about life. This is one that I feel is true. I recommend it highly if one really wants to know where most of us came from and the difficulties life brings.
on May 26, 2017
Loved this book. Easy read and interesting story. I hope she met her Brenda Lee! What a brave woman to overcome such obstacles.
on June 15, 2014
While I became somewhat depressed while reading this story I couldnt stop because it moved me to help the members of this alcoholic family and look ahead for possible redemption. It became somewhat tiring to continually read about the beatings and crying and despair but then I thought there must be a "silver lining" somewhere. And, eventually there was! But, you had to go through the heartaches and wretchedness of the mountain people and the lives they were living to reach out to achieve a distant goal. It got to the point where I coouldnt put the book "to sleep" I just had to know the ending. Read it, you will feel the same as me, I am sure.
on June 1, 2014
This story got 5 stars from me because I'm partial to these kind of stories. I grew up in the south in the 50's and saw some similarities. It was all interesting to me - the sad, bad and the good. I liked it because it brought out emotions in me as I was reading. I would recommend this story to folks who are interested in life hard-luck stories with interesting twists and a rewarding ending. The rewarding ending in Mary's story is that after all she went through in her young life she was lucky enough to meet the love of her life who treated her kindly and who she had two children with - basically a NORMAL life compared to how she grew up.
on March 19, 2017
Loved this book! What a life!
on January 24, 2016
Writing was very immature, almost childlike. I found it lack depth of any sort or real growth of the characters. Expected from other reviewers to be immature, but as written by an adult, I found it almost devoid of emotion, except for the authors own
on November 7, 2013
I found this story interesting and enjoyed reading it. I'm curious... did the author try to find her daughter vs wait for her daughter to find her? A little more detail about her early days in NC would have been nice. (i.e. What all did she learn in school? Did Mary ever further her education? Who were her other NC friends and what happened to them? In general, more about what life was like growing up. What did they eat other than what they could hunt, and who did the cooking? Did they celebrate birthdays? Weather? How did Joe do without Mary and Cheryl?) I also would have been interested in hearing more about her life and friends in NYC.
on February 10, 2014
Such an intense and at times heartbreaking story! What courage the author shows in telling the unbelievable abuse suffered by not only herself but the other members of her family. This story needed to be told if for nothing more than to show how things used to be. It seems unacceptable that people put these poor children through such abuse and neglect yet this actually happened! It makes me ashamed to realize that I have lived among some of the people she has described! May the telling of her story make circumstances such as these never happen again! Bless you Judith! I still cry for you!
on February 18, 2014
The abuse that one person can get through and still be a living, functioning human being, is unbelievable and for all that, this story is a painful one. Still, this story needed to be told. This story needs to be read, told and re-told. We each need to ask ourselves if we would have the strength this author did have and does have. Do you know of any in this type or any type of abusive relationship? If one is not helping the victims, we are enabling the abusers.