Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Alexa on Mobile Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 889 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,154 reviews
on September 21, 2017
This book is indeed interesting because how often do people reading a book that talking about memory. I think it is rare but I am always wrong at some point. The history parts were informative. The author's journey with other people showing that there are people like that existed. I didn't know we had either USA or world championship specifically for memory. It was pretty cool to learn something that actual worked because I tried small parts of it. However, this book could be shorten by little but it still earn four stars from me. Go read this!
on March 9, 2011
This is one of those rare books that is not only a joy to read, but also immensely helpful. It can help all of us with something that is at once troublesome and worrisome: our memory. It does this with ease, not teaching us some grueling rote memory technique, but one that is easy, natural and intuitive. Yet Moonwalking with Einstein turns out to not be exclusively a how-to book on memory. So what is it?

Well, yes, it is about memory and how to improve it, but it is at once a history of techniques, a description of what memory is and what can go wrong with it, and also a running narrative of how the author, a journalist himself with no special memory skills, becomes one of the most proficient memory athletes in America.

I'd learned a mnemonic device to aid memorization decades ago while in college, and found it to be helpful, but for some reason I'd abandoned the technique once I graduated. But Moonwalking with Einstein expands the mnemonic technique I learned back then by use of something of which I'd never heard: the "Memory Palace." The Memory Palace exploits our inherent skill for remembering images and spatial locations, harnesses these two abilities we all posses in abundance, and relates them to the memorization of numbers, lists and assortments of other difficult to remember items. The amazing thing is that the Memory Palace not only makes memorization easy, it also makes it fun.

What makes the book so interesting is that it is narrative non-fiction and reads like a novel. The author locks his conflict with his own memory early on, gives a sense of rising tension as he accumulates the forces to overcome its limitations, and resolves this internal conflict at the end when he participates in the US Memory Championship. I didn't read it as urgently as I did today's number one bestseller, Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken, but still, I couldn't put it down.

In Chapter Five, I scanned the "to-do" list of fifteen items on pages 92/3 that the author had to memorize in his initial attempt, and developed the technique for myself as I read about the author memorizing it. As my Memory Palace, I used an old home of a high school friend with which I was still familiar, constructing useful details as I went. When I had finished reading about the author memorizing the list (took me about five minutes), I had memorized it myself, and I found that the items were not only immediately memorable, but that the list of items and their sequence was still with me days later, and so imbedded in my memory that I'm sure I'll ever forget it. All this, I accomplished effortlessly. This is a truly remarkable feat for me because I'm almost seventy years old and have chronic fatigue syndrome, which adversely affects all aspects of my memory.

It has also given me hope that I might finally learn ancient Greek. I tried to learn it several years ago, but found building a vocabulary so difficult that I abandoned the project. Rote memory was just too much trouble. I am interested in all things Greek, and as it turns out, the Memory Palace technique was invented in the fifth century BC by Simonides following his narrow escape from the collapse of a building. This in itself is a story you'll be interested in reading about. The author says that since the time of this ancient Greek, "the art of memory has been about creating architectural spaces in the imagination." Having been to Greece twice, I have all the makings of a superb Greek Memory Palace. While traveling around Greece and the western coast of Turkey for ten weeks, I visited many cities and islands: Athens, Thebes, Delphi, Ithaca, Mykonos, Delos, Santorini, etc. I can't count all the archaeological sites I visited. What I'm creating isn't just any old Memory Palace but actually a Memory Country. Within each location, I can identify as many locations for storing words and meanings as I need. But not only that, I can also use characters from Greek mythology to create actions and images to reinforce the material, as the author suggests. All this constitutes my Greek Memory Palace: the location where I will store ancient Greek words and meanings as I learn the language, in accordance with the instructions learned in Moonwalking with Einstein. None of it was difficult. I picked it up as I read the book.

The author describes how in the past people viewed their minds as something to perfect by loading it with all sorts of intellectual material. "People used to labor to furnish their minds. They invested in the acquisition of memories the same way we invest in the acquisition of things." [page 134] Some even believed that "the art of memory was a secret key to unlocking the occult structure of the universe." [page 151] This has given me an entirely new view of how to perceive my own mind and nourish it in the future.

The author also discusses how we came to lose touch with our ability to remember with the invention of the printed word. The history of that estrangement and how inventions like Wikipedia and the Internet foster that estrangement is a very interesting story. The author makes the reader aware of what is happening to us and provides a way to project ourselves into the future without suffering so much of technology's debilitating effects.

Perhaps the reason this book is so successful is that the reader never loses sight of the practical use of the information the author is providing because the author is discovering it himself and actively making use of it in his quest to make it into the US Memory Championship.

This is an important book. Everyone can benefit from reading it.
David Sheppard
1111 comments| 813 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2015
This was a book I picked up after listening to the Serial Podcast. I was on a big memory kick after that and came across this. This is a really good narrative of an interesting story sprinkled with useful facts about the human memory, how we remember things and what we can do to improve our memory. Author Joshua Foer, tells his tale of the training and steps he took to improve his memory in order compete in the United States Memory Championship. If you want to improve your memory or learn more about memory pick this tome up.
on January 4, 2012
Not sure that I'd really want to go through all the practice and skills it takes to be a memory champion but this is an informative and entertaining read. I did try a few of the concepts including the memory palace ---It works! I liked the author's balance of different techniques of study intermingled with why we forget certain information. I am not reading this in one big gulp and I encourage people to read it by chapter and try a few of the techniques to experience a smidgen of what the man went through during his year of study. I work in elementary education and encounter many students with memory issues, perhaps some of these ideas would come in handy for kids studying mulitplication facts-----it also makes one question how immediate access to data in our technological world affects our motivation and ability to retain information and is it a positive way to evolve or not. Whatever your opinion is, it might be worth your time to read Foer's book.
on December 22, 2015
I'm fascinated with memory methods, since I have a poor rote memory (names and numbers) and am always looking for ways to improve. It was motivating and interesting to learn a bit more about memory in the context of his preparing for a memory contest. I'd like to have had a bit more on the techniques. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty to learn from there, but I'd like to talk more in depth about the techniques. Well written!
on January 4, 2017
It's rare to find a non fiction book that captures you like a story book would. This book not only captivates but conveys a well rounded history and impact of memory. It branches out to concepts I wouldn't imagine being important but, somehow in retrospect, couldn't have been left out. It's an easy read, very inspiring.
on May 17, 2016
Best book I've read this year. Foer weaves a gripping narrative that constantly gets you to read more. that surpasses many books that fail dismally at presenting the science behind memory in such a unique fashion, such as this. A truly "memorable" book in every respect. Bravo.
on February 26, 2016
Really entertaining to read- and I'm not somebody who reads for fun in their spare time. I really enjoyed this as a casual e-book.
on July 12, 2011
We got this book for the Kindle and sent it to several of our family's kindles. Our two oldest kids (14 and 13) devoured it and I really enjoyed it as well.

On Saturday evening, my wife and I and five kids sat around the living room and took turns making a list of words to memorize -- 21 words in all. We then made mental a trip from our driveway though our house, placing the words at various points with vivid images that we enjoyed creating together.

About an hour from when we started, all of us could say the list perfectly in order, including our 6-year-old, and the older ones then said it backwards as well with no problems. I'm sure we could have done 30 or 40 words, maybe more. The next day all still remembered the list.

It was a fun family time, and this is a fun book. We've since ordered a couple more books on the same topic and are eagerly awaiting their arrival.
on August 31, 2017
Book was entertaining and easy to read while also being informative. It's not a how to on mnemonic tricks but it gives insight on how beneficial they can be.