Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 149 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 165 reviews
on March 14, 2015
This is a wonderful updated book by Alistair Begg of the Morning and Evening classic by Charles H. Spurgeon. I read another updated book of this title and also the original English. All of beautiful, but I really am enjoying this updated version by Alistair Begg, he saves the beautiful language, but does make it a little easier to understand for our time and place. He keeps the update true to the original, very enjoyable and uplifting in my spiritual growth. Highly Recommended!
on October 12, 2013
With insight and appropriate application, Spurgeon's teachings lead the believer to a deeper personal relationship with Christ. Each devotional entry is filled with 'meat' rather than the often 'milky' devotionals so popular for those seeking a feel-good Christianity. This is not the prosperity gospel of today's TV evangelists rather the true Gospel that mankind is sinful yet God wants each to have a personal relationship with Him through His son Jesus. One can learn from Spurgeon it is not just a simple rote prayer asking for forgiveness but day-by-day or even minute-by-minute setting one's sight on things unseen. He shares the hope of powerful, loving God protecting His children around the clock. In these times, every believer needs more than a daily "quiet time" taught as a way of discipleship; we need to focus on Truth both Morning & Evening to live as an alien in today's world. This book is a great option to help meet that need in a vernacular better understood than the formal writing of the late 19th century.
on January 13, 2017
There is definitely something special in the way Spurgeon writes. I have heard many people describe him as one of the greatest preachers who ever lived . . . and reading his writings like those collected in this devotional, it's not hard to see why. He writes with a certain authority and security in the knowledge of the information he presents, yet does not allow his language to go over his readers heads (some of his more complex writings can be very difficult to follow). If you are looking for a sound devotional or regular personal study guide, I would highly recommend this one.
on January 4, 2016
This is far and away the best devotional book I have read. Extremely well written and inspirational. All meat and no fluff. Easy to read and it gives you lots to contemplate as you go about your day. I love it so much that I have bought two more as gifts. Charles H. Spurgeon was a wonderful writer and Alister Begg has brought this forward out of King James English for our generation. Can't say enough good about this book.
on December 14, 2015
Spurgeon's work is a classic, and language update is great. Giving it 3 stars because the font is WAY too small. They should have devoted an entire page to each reading, rather than squeezing two on a page.
on December 11, 2012
I sat under Allistar Begg at a seminar at the Cove in Asheville North Carolina. He has compiled and edited this devotional by Charles H. Spurgeon and I could not say what differences there would be from CHS original notes, but this is definitely a very effective devotional in that it is about the believers foremost relationship; and that is to Jesus. All the other things in the pilgrims life are subsequent to that one relationship. I recommend this to anyone who finds themselves bombarded with much of the Christian literature today that has fallen away from our first love, Jesus Christ. Too often writers opinions have become doctrine based on popular culture and accomodation; not here. This devotional promotes no "pet agenda", does not sell seminars or retreats, or markets other books; it lifts up Christ.
on March 10, 2017
This is a wonderful devotional. So insightful and thought provoking. Really happy with this purchase. As others have said, the print is extremely small. I realize the book would be very large if it was larger, but I think it would be worth it.
on April 7, 2015
Own this book and gave this also as a gift. Spurgeon is very thought provoking and because this edition was edited by Alistair Begg, I am completely confident that any language changes he made would stay consistent with the doctrine of Spurgeon. I always read this when I find that my heart is starting to love the world too much. His writing have influenced my prayers.
on May 9, 2017
This is THE best devotional. The daily morning and evening format is so wonderful. If you miss a day or week or evening, it does not matter. Each little section is a nugget of wisdom from the bible and C.Spurgeon. I own the Kindle Version so I can take it with me everywhere.
on February 9, 2013
I have yet to read one of these morning or evening devotionals that has not blessed me in some way. Spurgeon urges the Christian to consider his foundation. Is it Christ? Is it nothing but the crucified savior? If so, then glory and praise be to God. Now press on in faith, brothers and sisters! Trust that he who began a good work will see it through to completion. Fight the good fight of faith! Love this guy. He is a wordsmith. Every devotion is very illustrative. He paints a picture with words that makes God look like the awesome treasure that he is. Buy this, and enjoy it. Gift it to friends and family. This devotion is not YOU centered. And you will grow to love that. Instead, he urges us to behold and cherish and value Christ above all. This book helps me fight to believe that everyday. Because he is a glorious God, isn't he?