Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Morning Phase
Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 12, 2015
Bought the CD on release day. I was a childhood fan of loser... and stopped paying attention after his commercial success with Odelay. I had forgotten all about Beck until I head the song Romona in Scott Pilgrim Vs The World. Then I delved into his catalog which I missed. Guero, Sea Change, Midnight Vultures, Information, Modern Guilt... this guy is different on every album... as diverse an artists as I am a listener. He became one of my favorites.. among Radiohead, Bjork, Deftones, Beatles/Lennon, Strokes/Julian. He's one of those artists... Started of with commercial success gaining a strong following, then focusing on his creative talent, somewhat dropping behind the scene, making music he feels. I anticipated this album, told people about it... Beck? Loser Beck?... I know I know but its mature, it is his morning phase, which happens to be great for the morning drive and one of the few albums I can see playing for my children when that time comes. I appreciated the Grammy nod, surprised by the wins, finally the unpopular but very well done album wins, underdog gets it, art really being awarded for what it is. Glad the fiasco happened allowing new people to hear his work, old fans revisiting his catalog and hopefully reinventing him for the next one. Just felt the need to buy it again.
on February 13, 2015
Despite Kanye's rant, this album deserved to best Beyonce for the album of the year. Pensive, melodic, and yearning, it provided great listening for my mellower moods throughout 2014. And even though I continued to explore other music throughout the year, it beckoned (sorry!) me back again and again.
on February 10, 2015
I like Beck, but I bought the album because Kanye is a idiot and I'm here to support real musicians. Congrats Beck!
1919 comments| 328 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2015
Prior to this, I was not a Beck fan. I liked him, just didn't love 'em, so to speak. But I bought this album just to see what all of the hoopla was about. I did NOT expect to be blown away. The songs, their structure, the recoding quality of the instruments, and the overall structure of the production creates an atmosphere that is harder to find in modern music. This is refreshing, and certainly the best album I've heard in years. If I HAD TO make one criticism, it would be that there he could have been a bit more sparing on the vocal effects. Other than that, you can listen to this entire album. front to back, and enjoy the whole thing. That has been hard to find in the last 25 years.
on December 6, 2014
If you're a fan of Beck's early material, you may as well leave now. You won't find any of that here. On the other hand, if you're like me and are coming at Beck as a bit of a blank slate, this album leaves a good impression. It isn't the most inspired piece of music you'll come across, it isn't the most epic or meaningful, but it is solid. It is solid in every way you want an album to be solid. It knows what it is trying to be, it knows the pitfalls it needs to avoid, and it hits you as an album that had a lot of care put into it's creation. No one is going to be nodding their heads along to any of the beats but that isn't the point.

Morning Phase is a slow, sleepy, waking up in the morning kind of album. Despite the music being slow, the mix is very thick and there is always something going on, and if there isn't it is because the song is building to it. A lot of piano, acoustics, and dreamy vocals with a slight country tinge. And I hate country. But I love this album. While not quite good enough to deserve a perfect rating in my eyes, if this is the direction Beck is heading in then he has a new fan in me.
on February 13, 2015
Like Mr. Robinson, I too bought this Beck album because Kanye West is a complete idiot. The album is great, it has a sort of Peter Gabriel vibe to it. Good for the Grammy people to stick to their knitting and adhere to their core mission: not pandering and supporting artists that deserve it on the merits of musical creativity. Nothing against Beyonce. I'm sure that Jay Z's and her nervous laughter at Kanye's antics had an undertone of "we don't know this guy"...
Beck's Grammy-winning Album of the Year (2015) unfolds in dreamlike arrangements, hazy, multi-hued layers, changing, merging.... and Beck's vocals, whether solo or harmonized, float airily above these layers. Like the tracks on Sheryl Crow's 2005 "Wildflower", these tracks are beautiful and impeccably produced. (In fact, some of them remind me of the "Wildflower" album.) They are not likely to quicken your pulse, but rather to relax you. The album is peace-inducing; if that is what you are looking for, you got it. In general, I would characterize the songs as folk, enhanced by the aforementioned layers of very tasteful New Age electronica.

The lyrics, although still pretty abstract, are mostly earnest, devoid of irony or attitude. Another difference is that hip subculture references are replaced by rather rustic phrases to refer to relationships, or to life in general, in lines such as: "Looked up this morning/Saw the roses full of thorns", "Song bird calling across the water...Oooh blue moon", "A keepsake in the dresser drawer from who knows where", "The hills roll on like centuries/That pass by without a sound/Just a mile outside of town", and "Raise yourself to the morning alone/Night is gone".

Those who prefer Beck's previous albums which emphasize hip-hop, blues and alt-rock, along with tricky and infectious beats, may not like this one quite as much. I am in that group. Beck is an astonishing creator of diverse music, and although I appreciate this album as quality music, it is not my preference. Still, I am happy that he received recognition by winning 3 Grammys.
on March 19, 2014
I never knew much about Beck past his songs 'loser' and 'where its at' but this is an amazing album. If you're a huge David Gilmour/Pink Floyd fan I highly recommend, you won't be disappointed. No track filler, every song is beautiful.
on March 15, 2014
Beck Hansen (Née David Campbell) has been called a musical genius by some, and I guess I tend to agree. What I find compelling about his music is that it translates into making him seem so darned likeable. Beck sings about being a loser, but you can still like him; Beck sings as if he's a serial killer, and he still seems like someone you could sit down and enjoy a milk shake with. Weird. It's weird. And so is his music sometimes.

This album is classic Beck at his finest. The tunes are big in sound and broad in thought and composition. Several of the songs on Morning Phase wash over you, envelop you, and transport you to a pleasant place where the sun shines happily and the cows produce enough sweet milk that everyone can have a glass. And while all this is happening, Beck Hansen is standing right there, smiling at you and nodding his head.

Yep. It's an awesome record.
on May 23, 2017
I got back into buying vinyl about 11 years ago because I bought some really nice stereo components (I listen to a LOT of music) and figured to get the most out of my system I bought a nice turntable as well. Long story short, many if not most pressings/re-pressings are to put it nicely unimpressive. I've sent a bunch back because of warping, off centered labels, scratches etc...and most of the ones I kept just sounded ok. This is the best pressing I have bought out of hundreds of records. The music is outstanding, I'll let the other 500+ reviews attest to that. This record is so dead silent, not even one click, and the recording is SO good it's one of the albums you play when someone asks "why the fuss over hi-fi/vinyl?". I put this on and watch their jaw drop.