Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Noah Gundersen Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 709 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 853 reviews
on February 12, 2015
Bought the CD on release day. I was a childhood fan of loser... and stopped paying attention after his commercial success with Odelay. I had forgotten all about Beck until I head the song Romona in Scott Pilgrim Vs The World. Then I delved into his catalog which I missed. Guero, Sea Change, Midnight Vultures, Information, Modern Guilt... this guy is different on every album... as diverse an artists as I am a listener. He became one of my favorites.. among Radiohead, Bjork, Deftones, Beatles/Lennon, Strokes/Julian. He's one of those artists... Started of with commercial success gaining a strong following, then focusing on his creative talent, somewhat dropping behind the scene, making music he feels. I anticipated this album, told people about it... Beck? Loser Beck?... I know I know but its mature, it is his morning phase, which happens to be great for the morning drive and one of the few albums I can see playing for my children when that time comes. I appreciated the Grammy nod, surprised by the wins, finally the unpopular but very well done album wins, underdog gets it, art really being awarded for what it is. Glad the fiasco happened allowing new people to hear his work, old fans revisiting his catalog and hopefully reinventing him for the next one. Just felt the need to buy it again.
on February 13, 2015
Despite Kanye's rant, this album deserved to best Beyonce for the album of the year. Pensive, melodic, and yearning, it provided great listening for my mellower moods throughout 2014. And even though I continued to explore other music throughout the year, it beckoned (sorry!) me back again and again.
on February 10, 2015
I like Beck, but I bought the album because Kanye is a idiot and I'm here to support real musicians. Congrats Beck!
1919 comments| 328 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2016
Morning Phase is my first entry into the musical world of Beck. Ever since a friend loaned his LP to me, I have been a daily listener and admirer of the complex yet simple arrangements. Absolutely beautiful songs that all work together to form a vast landscape of sounds and images. Gorgeously sung lyrics and outstandingly composed music that will get under your skin and grab you. Because of this album, I have been inspired to work my way back from this album, released in 2014, to Modern Guilt (2008) and then all the way back to Odelay, released in 1996. I am eternally grateful to my friends who thinks to himself, "I think Kevin might like this album..." and the musical discovery begins with that thought.
on February 20, 2015
Prior to this, I was not a Beck fan. I liked him, just didn't love 'em, so to speak. But I bought this album just to see what all of the hoopla was about. I did NOT expect to be blown away. The songs, their structure, the recoding quality of the instruments, and the overall structure of the production creates an atmosphere that is harder to find in modern music. This is refreshing, and certainly the best album I've heard in years. If I HAD TO make one criticism, it would be that there he could have been a bit more sparing on the vocal effects. Other than that, you can listen to this entire album. front to back, and enjoy the whole thing. That has been hard to find in the last 25 years.
on April 3, 2017
I got this album last week and can't put it down. It's inhabited the CD player in my car since Friday, on constant repeat. The songs are the kind that stay with you, abiding melodies throughout your day. The whole thing is like a sweet mantra of darkness, warmly enveloping us in its shadows. I have to say it creeps me out a little with its undercurrent themes of death and loss. It takes us on a journey through the dark places of the countryside, on a morning walk under a cool canopy of trees where the smell of decaying nature is intoxicating. That said, the song craft is second to none, and the musicianship is spot-on. This is currently the only beck album I own. I listened to Sea Change this morning, which may become the second. Add to cart and purchase.
on December 6, 2014
If you're a fan of Beck's early material, you may as well leave now. You won't find any of that here. On the other hand, if you're like me and are coming at Beck as a bit of a blank slate, this album leaves a good impression. It isn't the most inspired piece of music you'll come across, it isn't the most epic or meaningful, but it is solid. It is solid in every way you want an album to be solid. It knows what it is trying to be, it knows the pitfalls it needs to avoid, and it hits you as an album that had a lot of care put into it's creation. No one is going to be nodding their heads along to any of the beats but that isn't the point.

Morning Phase is a slow, sleepy, waking up in the morning kind of album. Despite the music being slow, the mix is very thick and there is always something going on, and if there isn't it is because the song is building to it. A lot of piano, acoustics, and dreamy vocals with a slight country tinge. And I hate country. But I love this album. While not quite good enough to deserve a perfect rating in my eyes, if this is the direction Beck is heading in then he has a new fan in me.
on February 13, 2015
Like Mr. Robinson, I too bought this Beck album because Kanye West is a complete idiot. The album is great, it has a sort of Peter Gabriel vibe to it. Good for the Grammy people to stick to their knitting and adhere to their core mission: not pandering and supporting artists that deserve it on the merits of musical creativity. Nothing against Beyonce. I'm sure that Jay Z's and her nervous laughter at Kanye's antics had an undertone of "we don't know this guy"...
on February 17, 2015
I've been a fan of Beck since 2006's The Information. I guess you could say a lot of us have been fans at one point if we enjoyed the song "Loser" back in the 90's, which was a big hit for him and an anthem of that decade. He's certainly a symbol of the 90's alternative rock scene. But more importantly he's grown as an artist over the years, adding more versatility to his impressive discography. I like going back to his quirky 90's material but I was especially impressed with albums like Sea Change. It's certainly not for everyone but no one can deny his growth and songwriting abilities.

Just to be able to put together an album like this is an impressive feat. The production is spectacular, the lyrics exceptional. The songs are mellow and graceful. It's a very intimate album and it doesn't overstay it's welcome or try to over impress. It's a lush and layered album that continues to grow on the listener. If you're looking for upbeat music or quick and obvious hooks, you aren't gonna find it here. This album is a journey and it's subtle. It brings great albums back to what they used to be like, with a concept and a cohesive sound. This album will make you a better person.
on September 13, 2015
Beck's Grammy-winning Album of the Year (2015) unfolds in dreamlike arrangements, hazy, multi-hued layers, changing, merging.... and Beck's vocals, whether solo or harmonized, float airily above these layers. Like the tracks on Sheryl Crow's 2005 "Wildflower", these tracks are beautiful and impeccably produced. (In fact, some of them remind me of the "Wildflower" album.) They are not likely to quicken your pulse, but rather to relax you. The album is peace-inducing; if that is what you are looking for, you got it. In general, I would characterize the songs as folk, enhanced by the aforementioned layers of very tasteful New Age electronica.

The lyrics, although still pretty abstract, are mostly earnest, devoid of irony or attitude. Another difference is that hip subculture references are replaced by rather rustic phrases to refer to relationships, or to life in general, in lines such as: "Looked up this morning/Saw the roses full of thorns", "Song bird calling across the water...Oooh blue moon", "A keepsake in the dresser drawer from who knows where", "The hills roll on like centuries/That pass by without a sound/Just a mile outside of town", and "Raise yourself to the morning alone/Night is gone".

Those who prefer Beck's previous albums which emphasize hip-hop, blues and alt-rock, along with tricky and infectious beats, may not like this one quite as much. I am in that group. Beck is an astonishing creator of diverse music, and although I appreciate this album as quality music, it is not my preference. Still, I am happy that he received recognition by winning 3 Grammys.