Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 880 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 967 reviews
on March 2, 2013
I finally adopted a next gen console when I got a PS3 for myself December 2012, this was one of the first games I bought. I have played the MK series of games since the original was released in the arcades. In my opinion this has been a great reboot of the franchise and helped clean up some of the storyline clutter that had gone on post MK3. The game play is back to more of an old school MK basics, which in my opinion is great because I never really embraced the 3d MK games. It has some stunning back grounds, a cool story mode, and of course fatalities. What more could you ask for? The online feature allows me to play with friends across the country, which is nice since I don't get to see them much. All in all, as a long time fan, I think this is the best sequel to come out since MK3 Ultimate, or maybe MK Trilogy.

As for people giving the game one star reviews for "missing" DLC let me explain how it worked for me. When I opened the package I saw two DLC vouchers, one for some music tracks and one for the original MK feature movie. The one for the feature movie expired 12/31/12 so I was out of luck there. Not really a big deal, except I thought it was a voucher for game content until I read it closer. Bottom line, this is the Komplete edition as it includes the DLC content. When you first load the game it does an update that installs the DLC automatically. All the characters and costumes are there. No need to bash the game because a bonus unrelated to the game itself is expired.
on July 9, 2016
Game is great! Although I do believe that as I've been playing this game more and more, I can see the game being a little dated.

Graphics are great (1080p it's always nice to see) characters look great, and the stages always have something going on. But sometimes the animations are very choppy and finicky. long string combos are very all over the place, and sometimes feel very hard to do.

Gameplay is like that of Street Fighter 4, albeit less buttons (Front Punch, Back Punch, Front Kick, Back Kick instead of Low, Medium, and Heavy Punch/Kick) and this game relies on juggle combos, but not like SF4, you can continue hitting them in the air with normal moves and they'll stay in the air, and their "Gravity" will get heavier the more you hit them in the air.

Fatalities are the highlight of the gameplay, as are all of the MK games, and they do NOT disappoint. (Except a few like Kratos's Medusa head one.) Some are very, VERY brutal like Sektor and Noob's. NOT for the faint of heart.

Story mode is the highlight of this specific game (along with the later installment, Mortal Kombat X) I personally liked what they did from the beginning to the end. Actually connecting from the end of Armageddon to resetting the timeline was a very wise choice to do, and makes sense. Also makes it interesting how raiden wants to correct the mistake with only the "He must win" line Armageddon Raiden said, and ends up messing up horribly.

Sound is... Good and bad. The sound effects are amazing, the music isn't. You can usually never hear the music, and it's just something that is just there for the sake of being in the background so you aren't listening to nothing.

Overall, I think this game is great, I'd give it 4.5 stars, but since Amazon doesn't allow me to, I'll be courteous and give it 5 stars. This is a definite buy if you're stuck in the last generation.
on April 17, 2015
What's not to like about Mortal Kombat? I've been a fan for over 20 years..... Happy to pass the legacy on to my kids.

My only issue is that they still don't include the special moves and all the fatalities in the moves list. Half the time I have to try to figure them out or go online. But other than that.... it's great. Waiting for Mortal Kombat X.
on December 25, 2014
The best Mortal Kombat of all time -- and I've played them all.

Everything I have ever wanted in a Mortal Kombat game is in this game. 4-player tag battles? Check. Enhanced fighting system that allows you to combo into specials fluidly? Check. Phenomenal meter feature? Check. Tons of gameplay options including but not limited to a story, ladder, and challenge tower? Check. A useful practice feature with varying options? Check. Online playability and a huge roster of classic characters? Check. The ability to input unlocked "kodes" in single player to alter the gameplay?... no check. But that's my only complaint. In the game you can unlock these codes in the "krypt" (a room of unlockables you can purchase) that one can apply to multiplayer. Unfortunately I believe that's the only time they can be applied. I would love to use the remove blood code when in practice mode; after several beatings your punching bag opponent begins to look like a pulpy mass of meat and your character is drenched in his/her blood. It could get annoying. Besides that, the game is perfect (there's some balancing issues, but all fighting games have that).
on February 20, 2016
Works as expected. Basically a rehash of the original trilogy (with a bit of later MK elements thrown into it) but told in such a way that lets you know that it won't end the same way. As a continuity reboot, it recognizes the original continuity, but discontinues it in favor of re-imagining or even re-writing events that will highlight and present the characters under a different perspective. The game engine has been overhauled, no longer relying on the system that "MK: Deadly Alliance" onward utilized and falling back on the structure of combat seen in the first two games. Not a bad game to play, but take caution around younger audiences, as the game contains graphic, bloody violence, and many characters are designed to titillate players.
VINE VOICEon July 1, 2015
Mortal Kombat 9 served as an excellent reboot to a once good but subsequently dying series. It basically revolutionized the game in the way that MK II did over the original MK. This particular collection also comes packaged with 4 bonus characters (too bad they aren't available in MKX).

The attention to detail is a marked improvement over past games. As characters fight, they have battle wounds and blood gets all over them. The fatalities are more brutal than in the past but we still see some classic ones (like Scorpion's "Toasty" fatality). You have training mode (including Fatality Practice) which helps you get used to the characters before going into competition. Since I hadn't played Mortal Kombat since MK III Ultimate Edition, I was definitely rusty.

Ultimately, this game also served to hold me over until the release of Mortal Kombat X. It's a good game.
on July 26, 2013
I chose a five star rating because I am a huge Mortal Kombat fan. I have been one since Mortal Kombat was first introduced in arcades! I now own this version and the Standard Edition, but this game, by far, is one of THE best MK games to date! The only differences between the Komplete Edition and Standard Edition is that the Komplete Edition has everything unlocked and it comes with the four DLC fighters. You get Kenshi, Rain, Skarlet and Freddy Krueger.
And in addition, there are quite a few fighters that will have their "Classic" costumes depending on whether or not that fighter was in the classic games. All of the fighters have their alternate costumes unlocked, including Mileena's Flesh Pits outfit without having to face the 300th Challenge Tower task. All of their fatalities, second fatalities, and third fatalities (depending on whether or not you have a fighter with a classic costume), stage fatalities and babalities have been unlocked and are available in the Moves List. Pretty much, everything is unlocked and available as soon as you put this game in your game console.
While the Komplete Edition has a lot going for it, I'd still prefer the Standard because of the simple fact that, in the Standard Edition, you had to work to unlock the characters' alternate costumes and endings, not to mention earning money to buy neat things in the Krypt. However, the Komplete Edition was the only way I could get Kenshi (one of my many faves). Overall, I like this edition of the game, it's fun, action-packed, as gory as ever and it makes MK fans, like me, thirst for more!!! I'd recommend this most definitely! Hands down!
on November 29, 2012
I've been a fan of Mortal Kombat games off and on since the very beginning, but even after only a couple of hours of play this one is by far my favorite. I don't know if it's true for the standard edition of the game, but the Komplete Edition lists not only the special moves for a given fighter (available in the Pause menu), but also their finishing moves. One other thing I really liked was a training mode that introduces you to some of the special features of this version (tag teams, enhanced special moves, etc.), and also a fatality training mode. My only complaint about the fatality training is that you only seem to be able to practice one finishing move for each fighter, but it's still awesome to be able to practice those without having to remember the sequence after you've just survived a battle.
on May 22, 2013
Growing up in the 90's I have nostalgic memories of the old Mortal Kombat on Sega Genesis, and then not owning any fighting games on my new console I decided to buy this reboot. I have to say that this was exactly what I was looking for. It has all the old characters with all the old moves as well as a number of new faces. The graphics are revamped, but the fighting is for the most part the same as the original. Combos and specials are fairly easy to do, and there are a number of extras if you get tired of dominating your friends :) Also, the fighting is on a "2D" plane, or straight forward and backward. I prefer this as opposed to "3D" because you don't have to chase your opponent around as much or constantly realign your character so you aren't missing your attacks.

Drawbacks -- I have two very minor grips with this game. First, the narrator voice is way TOO quiet. You get done with an epic battle and then you have to double the volume to hear the story. Second, Shang Tsung cannot turn into every character in the game, he can only turn into the character you are fighting, or if he is the computer, he can turn into maybe three different characters including yourself. The whole point of Shang Tsung's character in the old versions was that he could somehow turn into any character, no matter how complicated the button combination.

Overall great reboot and excellent job keeping much of the old with the additions of excellent graphics and more fun extras.
VINE VOICEon November 29, 2015
It is gruesome like it's supposed to be but the CPU players on the easiest level keep spamming attacks which is beyond annoying. Some of us feel like we can't fully enjoy the game because of the spammers it attracts. Aside from that, the fatalities are very creative with even some well known creepy characters not associated with MK. The characters are very realistic and well done and the moves are easy to learn. I don't typically enjoy 'blood and guts' in real life (comics, movies, etc.) but though it is done 'seriously' in MK, it is done so well I have fun with it. Plus there are good guys. Just not the spammers which ruin it for others.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.