Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

Mortal Kombat 9 served as an excellent reboot to a once good but subsequently dying series. It basically revolutionized the game in the way that MK II did over the original MK. This particular collection also comes packaged with 4 bonus characters (too bad they aren't available in MKX).

The attention to detail is a marked improvement over past games. As characters fight, they have battle wounds and blood gets all over them. The fatalities are more brutal than in the past but we still see some classic ones (like Scorpion's "Toasty" fatality). You have training mode (including Fatality Practice) which helps you get used to the characters before going into competition. Since I hadn't played Mortal Kombat since MK III Ultimate Edition, I was definitely rusty.

Ultimately, this game also served to hold me over until the release of Mortal Kombat X. It's a good game.
on April 17, 2015
What's not to like about Mortal Kombat? I've been a fan for over 20 years..... Happy to pass the legacy on to my kids.

My only issue is that they still don't include the special moves and all the fatalities in the moves list. Half the time I have to try to figure them out or go online. But other than that.... it's great. Waiting for Mortal Kombat X.
on December 25, 2014
The best Mortal Kombat of all time -- and I've played them all.

Everything I have ever wanted in a Mortal Kombat game is in this game. 4-player tag battles? Check. Enhanced fighting system that allows you to combo into specials fluidly? Check. Phenomenal meter feature? Check. Tons of gameplay options including but not limited to a story, ladder, and challenge tower? Check. A useful practice feature with varying options? Check. Online playability and a huge roster of classic characters? Check. The ability to input unlocked "kodes" in single player to alter the gameplay?... no check. But that's my only complaint. In the game you can unlock these codes in the "krypt" (a room of unlockables you can purchase) that one can apply to multiplayer. Unfortunately I believe that's the only time they can be applied. I would love to use the remove blood code when in practice mode; after several beatings your punching bag opponent begins to look like a pulpy mass of meat and your character is drenched in his/her blood. It could get annoying. Besides that, the game is perfect (there's some balancing issues, but all fighting games have that).
on July 26, 2013
I chose a five star rating because I am a huge Mortal Kombat fan. I have been one since Mortal Kombat was first introduced in arcades! I now own this version and the Standard Edition, but this game, by far, is one of THE best MK games to date! The only differences between the Komplete Edition and Standard Edition is that the Komplete Edition has everything unlocked and it comes with the four DLC fighters. You get Kenshi, Rain, Skarlet and Freddy Krueger.
And in addition, there are quite a few fighters that will have their "Classic" costumes depending on whether or not that fighter was in the classic games. All of the fighters have their alternate costumes unlocked, including Mileena's Flesh Pits outfit without having to face the 300th Challenge Tower task. All of their fatalities, second fatalities, and third fatalities (depending on whether or not you have a fighter with a classic costume), stage fatalities and babalities have been unlocked and are available in the Moves List. Pretty much, everything is unlocked and available as soon as you put this game in your game console.
While the Komplete Edition has a lot going for it, I'd still prefer the Standard because of the simple fact that, in the Standard Edition, you had to work to unlock the characters' alternate costumes and endings, not to mention earning money to buy neat things in the Krypt. However, the Komplete Edition was the only way I could get Kenshi (one of my many faves). Overall, I like this edition of the game, it's fun, action-packed, as gory as ever and it makes MK fans, like me, thirst for more!!! I'd recommend this most definitely! Hands down!
VINE VOICEon November 29, 2015
It is gruesome like it's supposed to be but the CPU players on the easiest level keep spamming attacks which is beyond annoying. Some of us feel like we can't fully enjoy the game because of the spammers it attracts. Aside from that, the fatalities are very creative with even some well known creepy characters not associated with MK. The characters are very realistic and well done and the moves are easy to learn. I don't typically enjoy 'blood and guts' in real life (comics, movies, etc.) but though it is done 'seriously' in MK, it is done so well I have fun with it. Plus there are good guys. Just not the spammers which ruin it for others.
on April 18, 2017
Just as good, if not better as it was when I was a kid. Now, I'm playing this game with my nephew. The nostalgia is unreal! So glad I ordered this!
on March 21, 2014
This game is hot. The visuals are GREAT! This game is number one. Mortal Kombat is number one. It gets no better than Mortal Kombat. This game has some kick-ass graphics, visuals, fighting, character speech and gestures and everything. I love it. The characters are so realistic looking and just fantastic looking art-wise. There is nothing lacking in this game in my opinion. I played this so much already and i just bought it! I almost forget to play my other games. I just be playing mortal kombat like wow, wow, wow; looking around through the game, Fighting different characters just to see what they look like. Trying different characters just to see how their fighting moves are, and how they look! How does it look? Ha! Great! Liu Kangs fire almost looks like real fire. And, he almost looks like a real person. I mean it cant be to real looking, or you wouldn't feel like you are playing a game. This game has good visual balance and is just NICE! TOP LEVEL Design!
on July 29, 2013
Let's go back to 1993. Arcades were still in still in full swing, and the greatness that was Mortal Kombat 2 was released upon the world. Mortal Kombat 2 took an interesting idea (MK 1) and turned it into a perfectly balanced, flawless victory. After all these years, the series has returned to its former glory.

A perfect analogy would be the Cell saga in DBZ. Cell reaches his perfect power (MK2 is released), but then pukes up the android during battle and loses it (the series goes down hill) and then self destructs. They think he's gone for good, but then he returns even more powerful than before.

That's exactly what Mortal Kombat has done. You get all the great characters and everything you loved about Mortal Kombat 2. But does it stop there? Hell no, bitch. It goes about 50 steps beyond. It provides with an amazing but not over done combat system, a huge and diverse character roster and a story mode that's not simply the best that any fighting game has to offer, but is better than that of most other games.

The greatest heroes of all time are back and ready to defend Earthrealm from Shao Kahn. Are you?
on November 4, 2013
In a way, this almost felt like a step back from the Mortal Kombat series I enjoy. After going through the story mode and completing the game with a couple characters I can honestly say that this is still a great series and my first impressions were presumptuous. The fighting is great; it really feels like they took the best of the old stuff and revitalized it correctly. It was the story that had me shaking my head at first but the story was always meant to be kinda silly I think. In this game they gave it a more serious tone and that was actually my initial gripe. It still manages to have that dark humor put in there but it just seemed like the Armageddon installment was loaded with it and this one....well it's got some. It would probably be a four star but I just had to give it a five because they included the option for 3D which I hope at some point it time becomes standard.
on February 22, 2014
I finally adopted a next gen console when I got a PS3 for myself December 2012, this was one of the first games I bought. I have played the MK series of games since the original was released in the arcades. In my opinion this has been a great reboot of the franchise and helped clean up some of the storyline clutter that had gone on post MK3. The game play is back to more of an old school MK basics, which in my opinion is great because I never really embraced the 3d MK games. It has some stunning back grounds, a cool story mode, and of course fatalities. What more could you ask for? The online feature allows me to play with friends across the country, which is nice since I don't get to see them much. All in all, as a long time fan, I think this is the best sequel to come out since MK3 Ultimate, or maybe MK Trilogy.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.