Top critical review
Eh...fun, but not great
on July 17, 2012
Well, I watched a YouTube review of this game before buying it and I was successfully convinced to take the plunge. I haven't played a Mortal Kombat game since Mortal Kombat II on the Sega Genesis. But, I thought I'd give it a try. So far I haven't played all the way through the game, but I have made some observations:
1) The graphics aren't too bad, but there are some spots where it is almost painfully under par (e.g. at the crux of the arm/inside of the elbows where the arms bend, it almost looks like a plastic toy). The animation isn't the best, either. I've definitely seen worse, but I do expect better from the machine that is supposed to be the biggest baddest thing on the market.
2) The voice actors really stink. I don't think there is a single character in the game where I could say that the voice actor was good quality.
3) There isn't really any plot in the storyline
4) Arcade mode is exactly what you would expect and delivers in classic Mortal Kombat style.
5) Combos just don't work the way they're supposed to. After attempting the combat challenge, I can say that you have to be way too exact with the timing of your button-pressing for most of the combos to work. It becomes extremely frustrating very quickly.
And that is it from me on this game. I am waiting to receive the game guide that I bought from Amazon, as well. We'll see if maybe reading up on this game helps the enjoyment. So, look for my Mortal Kombat vs DCU game guide review in the not too distant future.