Truck Season Automotive Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on May 21, 2010
I consider this book a best offer to buy, as it is fully illustrated and very informative about Moscow, including a brief introduction to its history, places to visit, everyday and cultural lives, tips to sightseeing and whatever a tourist whishes to know in first hand before visiting Moscow and around. It's also a how-to guide for those who want to be well informed about Moscow, which includes informatios about trains, subway, bus, trolleybus, taxis and car rental. Also, there are transcriptions of russian words, indication of restaurants, museums and churches to visit, cafés, hotels and price estimations for almost everything. I'm really happy to have bought such a complete and colorful guide like that!
One person found this helpful
on November 11, 2011
DK Eyewitness Travel guidebooks are awesome for one simple reason: they show you the attractions they are talking about. It makes it easier to decide whether or not you want to spend the time and effort to see something. This book (the 2010 edition of the book, ISBN: 978-0-7566-6089-5) is no different. The pictures are awesome, including my favorites, the 3-D cutaways. The book is something you can look at over and over even if you're not planning a trip to Moscow.

This particular edition left me somewhat disappointed, though. The problem is that even though it was published in 2010, a lot of the information is out of date. Some of the attractions have incorrect information (one example: the Church of the Resurrection in Kadashi is listed as being closed to public, but it is open). The drawn maps showing routes around areas are also not totally accurate. It was frustrating to buy a new edition only to find that some of the information has not been updated. I have also found that while the guidebook lists URLs for some of the attractions, many more of them have web sites. There are also a few attractions, like the Gulag History Museum and the WWII bunkers, that are not listed and probably should be. The other things that is somewhat lacking is information on the Golden Ring cities. That sections is very short, but since it is close to Moscow, and very visitable, especially if you're in Moscow for a week or more, it would be nice if there were more details.

Finally, the book is lacking in what I would call "tips and tricks." It would be a huge help if it was listed when the best times to visit (the times when you're most likely to actually get in some of the more popular attractions). Some price information would be nice, too, although I realize it is quite fluid.

It is still a quality book and serves as a great help when planning what to see and do in Moscow, and I would still probably recommend it, but doesn't seem to be quite up to the standard of other DK Eyewitness guidebooks.
on March 29, 2013
This book gives a lot of helpful information about sights to see and it is broken down into areas. It also contains a chapter about out laying areas. Very colorful pictures and a short guide about what metro station to use it arrive at the location. If you are spending more than three days in Moscow you need this book. If not just go spend the day around Red Square.
on July 14, 2013
Although I use Rick Steves for hotels and restaurants in Europe, I always bring along Eyewitness for art and architecture.
For Russia, I will use only Eyewitness.
on September 16, 2012
Have numerous books of same : europe, Usa, South Africa and a lot of cities too
This one hasn't been updated : some hotel, reopened since 2 yrs, still listed as closed, with wrong, old, name
Some churche, that visibly have been under construction for years, appears as open to public
Restaurant choices are rather poor and limited (compared to Rome book or Madrid book) whereas Moscow is gastronomically interesting place
Maps are inaccurate ( same as Istanbul book)
So all in all, not that good a book, shame
on February 9, 2013
It's a bit dated but it is a great planning tool for those contemplating a trip to Moscow. I recomment it for that purpose.
on July 29, 2010
The "Eyewitness Guides" are the best travel guides I have ever used. I discovered them over 15 years ago and have been relying on them ever since. I own more than 15 of them, for major cities and countries throughout Europe. They are accurate and make travel much easier to plan if they are read in advance. I particularly like the architectural cutaways used for museums and sites of interest. The maps and geographical area breakdowns are also extremely helpful. I can't recommend them strongly enough.
on January 27, 2013
I rely on this series wherever I go. Plenty of information in a small package. Once used to the format I find them easy to use.
on November 22, 2011
All I have to say is you do not need to read anything else if you are visiting Moscow. I visited in August and this book had me fully prepared.
Moscow is a fantastic city and I tell everyone they should visit.
on January 4, 2014
my son wanted this one and he liked it and he used it in his college studies and it was just what he needed.