Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 201 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 251 reviews
on August 29, 2016
My son will be 14 next month. He's an eighth grader. This book couldn't have come at a better time. My son is very receptive to the information. We have been reading together every night for about a half hour and he actually looks forward to it. Sean Covey writes on a level to which teens can relate. He doesn't sugar coat anything. It's straight forward and factual, yet it's written with tact and not too graphic. I would highly recommend this book for kids in late middle school and early high school. At the rate we are going, they are hearing about or even seeing so much of this in school already. Far better this education be lead by the parent instead of other kids at school.
on January 22, 2014
My 9th grade twins needed this for a required reading. I am only giving it four stars because I didn't see them "glued" to the book and reading it cover to cover. However, it has such great advice for kids and is written in their language. They happened to be reading it when my husband and I announced that we were divorcing, I found one of the boys laying in his bed reading it that night with a few tears in his eyes and it helped us start a conversation. I think it has helped them deal with what life brings.
on April 22, 2017
I wish all self help books were written this way ;) The author has done a great job. My teenage son and I are reading through this book - like our own book club. We each read the same chapter and then discuss. Very cleverly written and has real life examples. Great illustrations, a pleasure and a joy to read. It really hits the issues at our house, and hope that my son internalizes the information as a 13 year old. I plan to buy another one for my younger son as well when he is in 8th grade. It applies to the high school years.
on April 30, 2016
As a grandmother who gave this book to one of her granddaughter & grandson, I thought the book was excellent in giving ideas about some of the most important decisions we make in life.... but then. My granddaughter or grandson would need to write one as well.
on September 1, 2014
I purchased two copies, one for each of my children/teens. They both and myself read this book cover to cover and my teens will re-read it when the need arises. Just another tool for parenting without sounding like a preaching parent.
on September 9, 2016
Good book for my high school freshman who is delving into academic and social consequences of adolescence.

I hope that he recognizes that his opportunities to excel are limited by his lack of desire, not lack of capability.
on January 28, 2017
Gave this book to my daughter-in-law to share with her sons. I think this is a book that the parents need to read first and then share with their teens.
on August 23, 2016
My teen was so very encouraged by this book! We're going to do a group in our counseling center for teens based on this awesome work!
on December 21, 2010
I am really enjoying this book. I'm only through 3 chapters...so far I've read chapter 2- Friends, chapter 3- Parents, chapter 4- dating and sex. I skipped chapter one because I only wanted to skim through before I gave it to my 3 older children to read, but after starting to read it I couldn't put it down! I really wish I would've found this book when my oldest was 12 or 13 but I think, even though she is 17, it will still help her tremendously. I have really enjoyed the advice given by the author. I just finished reading the chapter on sex last night and He encourages young adults to raise the bar high! With great, solid advice as to how to raise the bar, why to raise the bar and how to keep the bar high. Raising the bar high means abstinence, maybe you feel someone talking about abstinence is outdated or not effective for teens after all what's the harm? I thought this was the best part of the book I had read thus far. He states several reasons why you should remain abstinent. Not only that but how to protect your "self". I am no saint and did just about anything when I was in High School and have paid the price in some form or the other. I was pregnant at 19 and married at 20. After a few years of being married the new wore off and reality set in. Talk about a wake up call. I grew up too fast and tried to recapture my youth at the age of 30 as a result. If I would have protected my "self", I truly believe my life would be very different. I wouldn't give up my life right now but I think I would've gotten to where I am now without so much pain and confusion. He also doesn't just say you should do this and shouldn't do that...He has very good reasons, facts, and well documented (with references to other books, authors, doctors, websites) information as to why you should or shouldn't do it. I also don't think he degrades anyone for the decisions they have made or will make. He has very few references to GOD which I was very impressed with. I don't particularly care for books that dictate "because the bible said so", to me this is not an answer for a teen. I truly believe that we can ingrain our ideas in our childs head but he will always take what he wants and form his own opinion on things. Therefore, we must put information that we feel is good in front of them so hopefully they will read it, take what they can from it and grow into successful adults. I can't wait to let my kids read this book and to see what they take from it. I will definatly be reposting after they read it.
on May 25, 2017
This is a book that everyone should read. There are insights that many adults today could benefit from reading. The practical advice is easy to read and made for a teenager. Even if they only read the first chapter, they will get a lot from this book!