Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 55 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 76 reviews
on February 19, 2016
We were fortunate to have Mark and Susan conduct much of our marriage counseling, and many of the steps they took us through are outlined in this book. They are phenomenal people with a healthy marriage that has produced a beautiful family, and certainly have much wisdom to share. As the title suggests, this book is focused on setting good habits in the first year of marriage that will ultimately serve as a strategy for maintaining a successful marriage. We especially appreciate the practicality of this book. My wife and I are now >5 years into marriage, and we still use many tactics from this book to help protect our marriage and allow it to thrive. We cannot say enough about this book, and have gifted it to many of our friends that have gotten engaged. Would highly recommend!
on July 20, 2016
I used this book in pre-marriage counseling and found it to be a useful tool and guide to many areas of investment in the upcoming marriage relationship for any couple who is serious about investing time before marriage to gain knowledge and tools to successfully anticipate and resolve potential areas of conflict, and to best provide for, affirm and protect their future spouse, and to get their marriage started with the right resources for success. This is a valuable resource for serious couples... I found it to be well worth the investment for my counselees.
on April 12, 2013
This book is seriously awesome. Not only does it give great examples of troubles/successes in real marriages because of how that person acted/reacted, but it also has a great biblical foundation. Heck, even if you aren't a Christian, this book will transform your marriage just by putting the principles into effect. Half of the book is for the husband to read, the other half for the wife. I recommend reading both sides of the book so you know what your spouse has to deal with to get a better understanding on how to change for the better! I was married for 3 years before I read this book and everything still applies. It's NOT just for newly weds!

Do your marriage a favor and get this book or the new versions that are out.

This book is no longer in print, instead they have 2 separate books. What Every Bride Needs To Know and What Every Groom Needs To Know.
on March 15, 2017
Wonderful book; helped direct conversations that were helpful later. I will always keep it as a resource and will give it to others getting married.
on May 10, 2016
My husband and I have used this book along with a Bible study to counsel 22 couples! We have found it to be an excellent tool for practical application of Godly principles. Years later, many couples still make references to it when we speak! We, too, have benefited from it's wisdom and are entering our 46th year of marriage!!!
on September 4, 2012
This is the third copy of this book that I have ordered. I initially bought it for my husband and I. Then thought every couple should have it. As usual it came in excellent condition. This is a great resource for couples who are in the courtship of their relationship prior to marriage.
on October 23, 2012
I purchased this book for a friend's wedding gift. Of course, I had to read it before I gave it to her to make sure it wasn't nonsense. It is a book filled with things that a newly married couple with face and gives suggestions on how to cope with all the changes that come with marriage. It also tells us that the first year of marriage sets the bar for the rest of your marriage so it is very important to communicate about all the little things so they do not morph into huge problems. I would recommend this book to anyone who is thinking about getting married and even those who already are married if they are open to discussion.
on September 7, 2011
I read this before getting married and have given it as wedding presents as well. I read several books before getting married and found this one to be the best by far. It is not trying to be cute and is written for real people. It is thoughtful and not a waste of time to read. I also loved that it was written from a man's perspective for men and woman's perspective for women. I felt like I was talking to some of my parents friends trying to help me get started on the right foot and learn from their mistakes. If you have time to only read one book before marriage choose this one. If you don't have time because of wedding planning, by pass the extra time looking at flower arrangements and make an investment in your future.
on March 27, 2012
The book is presented in a most imaginative way. The woman begins reading as one normally would; then man flips over and begins to read from the other side. They meet in the middle with questions for discussion. We schedule annual physicals, regular dentist appointments, and tune-ups for our furnaces and cars. This book allows newlyweds (even newly engaged couples) an invaluable opportunity to talk through important topics to provide preventative maintenance for their marriage. I've bought three copies - one for my son, one for his wife-to-be, and one for me and my dear husband of three decades. Thanks, DeVries and Wolgemuths, for a treasure of a book!
on May 13, 2013
This book is written from two women authors' points of view for the woman's side of the book. The same topics are written by two male authors for the man's side of the book. They meet in the middle. The topics covered are the same, just written from a different perspective. I work with marriage preparation for engaged couples, and this book discusses twelve topics that are very important to marital growth. This would make a great wedding gift for any couple! Nothing "preachy", just common sense advice and often told in a humorous way.