Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 21 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 29 reviews
on May 24, 2016
An incredible story of a mother's love and dedication to finding help for her son. Just because someone is nonverbal does not mean they are intellectually disabled. We must find a means of comfortable communication for all those so affected. This is a must-see for all those who have relatives with Autism or those who love someone that is nonverbal. Thank you so much to Kate Winslet and the Golden Hat Foundation! Keep up the good work and let us spread the news of this film to all those that can benefit. Great idea to give it as a gift to your local Library and Autism Foundation! 5 star!
on July 30, 2012
Call him Keli. This film is a must see for parents of children with autism. Margaret's message is one of hope and sharing. You are not alone in your quest to break through the wall of autism. The movie shares the journey of a mother of an autistic boy from start to strategy. Strategy is one of the core messages of the film. Each child with autism is unique and each developmental issue, whether it is related to language, social skills or behaviors (stims), must be approached as a solvable problem. That is the message of Margaret Dagmar Ericsdotter, Keli's mother. She is on a quest to find a strategy that will help Keli communicate. Her mission is to find out who her son truly is inside (from his point of view). She visits families with autistic children in several parts of the United States. Each family is trying their own strategy. They all yearn to know what their child is thinking. The most important message of the film is to never give up trying to improve the quality of life and enhance the communication of your autistic child. We all develop and change as we grow up. Look for progress in your child and with your determination, persistence and patience, you will one day see it happening.
on August 27, 2015
I highly recommend this video to anyone involved with ASD children in any capacity. It is truly a very enlightening, insightful and valuable resource.
As a school psychologist and LEP, this has been one of the most inspiring vehicles I have ever come across on the understanding of the disorder from the perspective of the affected individual. Although the video does not indicate this, the young man who is the focus of the story eventually had his compositions played at Carnie Hall. A must see!
on March 16, 2014
If you have a child with Autism, or know someone or want to just be informed, this is an excellent place to start. I learned a great deal about what my son was going through, and other aspects of the movie confirmed what I was able to figure out myself. This movie also introduces Temple Grandin, whom I've come to appreciate and adore. The insight she gives in invaluable. Thank you to Margret Dagmar Ericsdottir for making this documentary and her son Keli for being it's star, Sunshine boy.
on April 16, 2014
As a mother of an Austistic son I was very impressed at this movie. For children who are non-vocal this is especially frustrating as a parent. The work done in this movie shows what these children can do is amazing to say the least. These centers such as Halo and their teachers are undeniably dedicated beyond belief to these children and are a model for us all.
on February 14, 2011
Watching this video gave me so much more insight to the way people with autism think. It gave me hope to see a child that was diagnosed with severe autism, non verbal, learn to communicate by pointing to letters of the alphabet and spell out words. It also made me aware that children with autism need to be treated as if they understand, even when it appears they don't, because they do understand. It was an awsome awakening for me and gives me hope just when I was about to give up.
on August 6, 2013
Very encouraging story. It is important to know that although autistic children have many difficulties in coping with communication skills and socialization. They can learn. There is a way. Their ingenuity is trapped, and we must keep trying to release it, so the whole world can see, how brilliant they are. That is why every mother with an autistic child, has the second name, it is: Courage.
on November 28, 2014
If you just received an ASD diagnosis in your family, then watch this film. I learned a lot from this enjoyable film, as did my wife. I am a doctor & she is a HS grad. It is not too technical but is full of important information; relayed in an understandable & empathetic way. 5 stars (only wish I could give it more). And yes, our son has ASD.
on January 26, 2017
I am so vested in anything Autism, being I have 2 with it, one on each end of the spectrum and I enjoy movies about the subject. thanks!
on August 27, 2016
Used for nursing students introduction to care and to learn considerations