Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens: 8 Steps to Having More Money Than Your Parents Ever Dreamed Of
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

on July 4, 2011
There seem to be a lot of positive reviews of this book, so there are certainly aspects about it that must be good - but in my personal opinion I didn't like it. This book reads as if the authors assumed I am two things that I'm not: rich and stupid. A lot of the wordy paragraphs seem to be filler information, over-explaining points that I understood 10 minutes of reading back. I think this might be intentional, so the book isn't shooting facts at you like an adult financial book might read, but for me it was just annoying. And at the end of the book, it never really tied it all together...you won't really know how to start investing even if you've read it cover-to-cover. And, on a side note, some of the examples rather annoyed me...describing teens who "scrimp and save" to put away $5,000 per year for retirement...let's be real! I'm sure some teens have that to put away every year, but it's not from diligently saving what they earn, it's from their parents. Also, this book simply ignores the one huge financial problem all teens have - college! I could not believe that this book goes on without even mentioning the best ways to save for college. They do list example after example of what John or Jane will have saved up by the time of their retirement (if they "scrimp and save" $5,000 a year now - rrgh). I think for most teens, it's unrealistic to have all your money stashed in an account worth thousands that you won't touch until retirement. Not saying it's too early to start thinking beyond college, but college is really the primary issue.

I think this book might be good for 12- or 13-year olds who would appreciate the reiteration and a style of book that's aimed more for children than adults. I'm 17, so I think some older teens might be bored with the tone and wordiness of the book, I'd just go for an adult one. Gosh, this was a long review..sorry! Good luck with investing, everyone!
55 comments| 137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2004
Although it contains some information that my daughter thought was unrealistic, like the amount she should be able to save each week, she thought the book had some great ideas. I especially liked that they didn't talk down to the teenagers yet told them about the true financial cost of smoking, the good use of credit cards, ATMS and the fiancial mistakes many people make. A good book that tells it to them straight in a format that they will read.
on February 13, 2007
This book has reinforced what I have been preaching to my 17 year old for years......1) save and invest your money early, 2)live within your means as you get started in life (used vs new car), 3) attend the local university (keep student loans to minimum) and 4) practice a healthy lifestyle and you will soon learn that by the time you are 30 you will have more financial freedom and less debt than 90% of Americans.

I wish I had been taught the discipline for the first two items as it wasn't until age 40 that I reached financial freedom. Fortunately for him, he is a believer after reading this book. Maybe along the way he will guide others in the right direction.
on February 8, 2005
I only skimmed this book (after all, I own almost all the other TMF books!), but I think this book is by far one of the best financial books for **any** new investor, regardless of age. While other books may have more content, this is one of the most approachable financial and investing books I've read. (Plus, its worksheets **force** you practice what you read!) Readable by adults, too!
on September 4, 2004
If you dont know much or anything about investing then this is the book for you. The motley fool helps you understand the basics of investing and how easy it is to start investing on your own. They not only tell you about investing but how to save and spend wisely. If your a teen and want to get a good start on your financial future then read this book. Oh yeah and its also an enjoyable read it doesnt get dreary or boring they get you pumped up and ready to save and spend well and start investing.
on June 26, 2011
I've read the book and I still haven't found a single reason that will justify all the good reviews. Authors repeat the same information over and over again and conclude to obvious, already known (by common sense) arguments. I am an undergrad college student and I can tell the way the book is written it addresses to fourteen-year olds. It was truly annoying how I had to read 1 to 2 pages just to read an argument that could be explained in 2 lines; it seemed that the authors were just trying to fill pages by repeating themselves the whole time and by leaving blanks for the readers to complete. SERIOUSLY?
I was looking for a book that will guide me on how to invest (I still have no idea even after reading this book) and this book barely provided any information; bottom of the line, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND this book to anyone older than 16 but if you have a young middle-schooled relative that has absolutely no clue about how to save money, then this book might help them a little.
on September 9, 2002
to anyone under 20 looking to get started. I have looked a long time for a book that was written to help investment-minded teens get a good overview of what they can do to get started. Most are written like they are talking to a 10 year old and only cover the most basic principles.
This book goes far beyond that in the Motley Fool tradition. It will give anyone, teen or adult, an excellent overview of what they can do to start investing. It covers many different ideas for getting started and goes in-depth into what you can do to jump right into doing it.
I recommend this book to anyone who is serious about starting to invest and looking to get REAL information on what they can do to get started. If your sick of the kiddie stuff that is written on how to get started, then this book is exactly what you have been looking for.
on April 25, 2004
I thought this was an excellent book for teenagers. It not only shows them how to intelligently invest, but it also provides funny examples of what not to do in the stock market. I think it would be an excellent asset for people in their early twenties as well because it gives a great deal of advice on money management. In college, most students are not "rolling in the dough", so why not invest what little "dough" you do have and make some money for the future. It can also persuade kids to become healthier because the book outlined what cigarette smoking can do to a person's wallet. As if cigarette smoking isn't already bad enough. I also found the worksheets within the book extremely helpful, and I will continue to use them as guides as I take my first steps towards financial independence.
on February 27, 2006
This books gives the true value of savings: a life worth dreamings about and investments we make for it to see it happen. This is a sweet and funny little book that makes money look exciting as a tool and token. I see this book as the clues to playing a cool video game. (More, like the hint book.) It's so casual that you think your reading Reader's Digest. You never feel confused! Math teacher's, parents, middle schoolers, high school students, college students, retirees: you'll love this book.
on April 14, 2004
After reading the other reviews here about this book, I decided to go out and get it myself. I wanted to know everything there was about money after I've seen my parents struggle with things like credit card debt. I was very happy with the book! It teaches everything from the ever complicated stock investing, to checks and credit cards. The only thing bad about it was some of it was harder to understand at times. And that some of the topics got boring at times. But other than that, I was very pleased with the book. It taught me all I needed to know about money.