Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Motorola 53724 Remote Speaker Microphone (Black)
Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

The microphone works well in both mic and speaker modes with the Motorola MT350R radios I have. The quality of the build seems robust and the sound is clear in speaker mode.

I'm knocking off a star because the cord is very tightly coiled and resists being pulled out to longer lengths quite fiercely. The intent of this microphone is that it be clipped to a pocket or lapel while the radio rides on the belt, so the springiness of the wire may be a design ideal for that use.

I wanted the microphone for slightly different duty and need the cord to stretch a little more compliantly, more like a CB microphone cord. As it is I'm scared the chest-expander strength pull on the wire will damage the extension jack or pull it from the circuit board inside the radio.

I tried finding a non-coiled extension to attach between this item and the radio, which would work for my purpose and would not result in a star pull for extra expense (after all I'm not using the item as it was envisaged it would be used), but the jack and plug size is a non-standard 3/32 (about 2 mm) rather than the more common 3.5 mm and I cannot find a male to female extension for this size. Indeed, I've not found a female in-line jack with which to make my own extension anywhere. I could probably make what I want but the parts are hen's teeth affairs it seems.

So I'm pulling a star for the combination of too-stiff non-stretchy coiled wire and daft undersize plug choice.

If you just want to look like a policeman when using your radio you shouldn't have a problem.
2 helpful votes
on June 23, 2017
Exactly what I was looking for and works well on my Motorola FRS Walkie Talkies. Will allow me to use lapel microphone instead of removing it from my belt to use talkie. I highly recommend these microphones for walkie talkie users with Motorola products.
on April 5, 2017
Convenient and, in my location meets the "no handheld electronics" requirements for driving. Used in a Motorola 350U (if I recall correctly)

The jack, unfortunately, can loosen sometimes. A good broccoli elastic should come with it. ;)
on January 9, 2013
These mics are pretty legit.

Speaker Quality:
The speaker quality is pretty good just as long the user on the other end does their part in speaking into the mic correctly. I have the MR350R waterproof version and the remote speaker is pretty close to the quality of the handhelds speaker. The remote speaker does have a bit more treble to it but not bad enough to where its a problem.

Durability:
The plastic housing isn't the thickest, but thick enough to where it is durable enough for normal use unlike the remote mics for law enforcement. The feels very sturdy and durable. Only gripe about the cord is that it is quite short and the coil makes it tight from waist to lapel. Some may want this but if it weren't as tight and uncoiled easier then it would probably be better.

!!!UPDATE!!!
I used this remote speaker mic for 5 days while snowboarding. I wore it on the strap of the backpack where it was exposed to snow and cold constantly. I'm not the best snowboarder so I was in the snow all over the place. The mic isn't labeled as water proof or even weather resistant but it definitely got wet and still works like a charm. The clip was strong enough and never fell off of the strap even after all of my spills. I love this thing and want to use it every chance I get.
13 helpful votes
14 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on April 27, 2017
Works well. Cord is not super stretchy because it's sort of stiff. I hooked one side to a coat hanger and something with enough weight to stretch it but not break to the other for a few days. Feels better now
on May 24, 2017
I purchased this so I could have easy access to the unit from a golf cart. In the end, I didn't actually use the remote speaker microphone much because I had to get on on off the golf cart often, but it worked exactly as advertised.
on January 12, 2013
I have a pair of MH230R, and bought this to work with them. I haven't tested them outdoors yet, but they seem to be pretty solidly built and have good volume indoors. I intend to use them for skiing, and will report back with any observations, after I have had a chance to use them on the slopes. One thing I did notice is that the cord is not super long, and it's pretty well coiled. I think it will be able to stretch from my pocket to my lapel, but it's pretty borderline on length, at least with the coil.

One thing to note is that, due to sparse information on the Amazon product page, I wasn't 100% sure it would work with my model. The main reason I'm writing this review is to post that it DOES work with the MH230R, and that the full compatibility list is here:
[...]

Lastly, I doubt this will be a problem for most buyers, but note that its $20 for ONE microphone. Considering I bought the pair of walkie-talkies themselves for around $25, that seems pretty expensive. I wish there were a set that had a pair of walkie talkies and a pair of microphones.
2 helpful votes
on September 6, 2017
I ordered two of these for use with my Motorola FRS radios (MT351R and MC225R) and the speaker/mics work with both. Speaker audio is clear and mic works well. These came blister packed and one had been cut open before I received it (NOT from shipping) but the item appeared unused and worked.
on November 8, 2017
Works well with my radio! Sometimes you have to wait a second to speak after hitting the button, but other then that, works great
on June 13, 2017
Let me just say this product is perfect. The sound quality is awesome. I use this for work, this is a reliable product.