Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services DrWho DrWho DrWho  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$49.95 - $118.98

Showing 1-10 of 182 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 194 reviews
on February 10, 2014
Why do I like these?

- Under $50
- Motorola quality -My first FRS radios were from 15 years ago - Motorola Talkabouts and they were still working until just last year when I dropped one over 7 feet to a concrete floor. Even then, I think the radio was still working... I just figured it was time for one that wasn't cracked wide open. The other one is probably still working... I loaned it to someone and forgot to get it back before moving.
- Rechargeable battery - Nice feature. It comes w/ the battery.
- Recharging stand included - It's nice to be able to drop the radio into the charger in the garage and not have to keep up with a power brick and cord
- You can listen to the radio while it is charging, a base-station mode for the home radio and perhaps leave it on for NOAA alerts when necessary.
- AA battery capabilities - You forgot the charger? You ran out of charge mid-day on a road trip? 3 AA batteries to the rescue! (You do carry a pack of AA batteries and a AA flashlight in your car's emergency kit, right? )
- Mini-USB charging? Really? You forgot the charger and your AA batteries? Use your cell phone charger to power these suckers up! Want a radio at work? Just get an extra USB cable and keep it charged while plugged into your computer. Basically, this is one less power brick and dedicated connector to remember! More electronics should use a standard like this.
NOAA weather radio built in. - You can even turn on weather alerts, so that when you have a tornado alert broadcast by NOAA, the radio will tell you (like the last time I went camping and a tornado went by 1 mile away) if you have it turned on.
plug for an external microphone and/or earpiece so you can still hear the radio w/ the top down or the windows open in the car
- All of the FRS / GMRS channels and tons of sub-channels
- 27 mile rated range... which really means 1-1.5 miles on the road, car to car, but that's plenty of power for average use.
on August 17, 2010
I purchased this with Motorola Earpiece with Boom Microphone. I couldn't first make them work together but the manual has an important detail:

Do not plug the headset when the radio is on. If you do that, then the radio immediately starts transmitting and does not stop no matter what you do until the head set is unplugged.

To use the headset, turn off the radio, plug in the headset, open the radio. When you do that it goes into VOX mode, it will start transmitting in about one second of your speaking. If you press PTT button, the VOX will be cancelled, and if you want to enable VOX again just turn off and on the radio.
33 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2013
Bought this mainly for vacations and brought it to Bangkok recently, reception was crystal over 2km in a highly built up area, in fact, I was in a mall while my wife was traveling in their BTS train 3 stations away.

Did lots of research before deciding on this, here are the deciding factors:
1. Ergonomic design fits well in hands and pockets
2. Backlit display and LED flashlight for night time
3. Hands free operation for driving or other activities
4. Large buttons operable by gloved hands
5. FRS/GMRS with privacy codes
6. Rechargeable batteries with desktop charger and option to use AAs
7. Range - while not expecting exactly 27miles, reviews said it could manage at least 2miles which was good enough for me
8. The Motorola brand,
on April 27, 2010
We live on 23 acres and use these almost every day to stay in touch while I am in the barn, hills etc. They work fine from inside a metal building to inside the house about 500 feet away. Actually they work from anywhere on the property. I tried them from down the road about 1/2 mile away, on the other side of a hill. Could hear the paging sound but we could not understand each other. I like the LED light, it is actually bright enough to be useful at night. Battery life is good, an over night charge lasts all day and then some.
on March 24, 2013
I use these professionally (managing track and field meets). I also use them with my son when skiing. Playing around, I've gotten about 1.5 miles range (in town). They're durable and easy to use. Snow-proof so far. I like the flashlight feature. Battery life (using the rechargeable batteries) is not great - use disposable AA's for extended adventure. I've used Motorola's for years when rock climbing. Somehow my son broke one of the belt strap connectors right away. I guess the clip is not that durable, but somehow I remember having the same plastic clip hold one on my climbing rack for countless climbs (banging away on rock and ice). Still, I threaded a cord through a slot and it's bomber now.
on April 24, 2015
I don't know if I have a defective unit, or this is how they are:

Several time the power has gone down to about 75% according to the graph, and they are about worthless. Once I left them on overnight and they couldn't pick each other up the next day. The battery graph showed ~75%.
The next time I left them off the charger for quite a while and the reception was pretty "iffy" Also the battery graph showed ~75%.
When they work, they work great.

Update: I must have received one w/ a bad battery. Now, I use my rechargeable AA batteries and they work great.
on August 19, 2014
I bought a set of these some years ago, and have been quite happy with them. As most people will tell you- they're not going to get anywhere near 27 miles unless you're out in the middle of the salt flats or something. We're lucky to get maybe 1/4 mile in our home area. I can't really fault the product, though, since I knew the limitations going in. The ONLY problem I've had is that one of the belt clips broke, but that's not a big deal for me (plus you can buy packs of them easily, though they're not Moto-branded.)
on April 20, 2017
Work pretty well. Used on one trip but the batteries don't hold on really long. Long range isn't great - meaning more than about 2 miles. Reasonable price, adequate, not fabulous, but good enough for what we were looking for.
on April 11, 2017
Junk. When they came the one wouldn't charge and so J took the battery pack apart and fixed and glued it. Now the other one keeps turning off and dying and we are not able to depend on them.
on April 19, 2017
Gave as a gift. Were working great.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.