Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,669 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,813 reviews
on December 19, 2013
I purchased this for my mom, for a friend, and for a cousin. I have to say I am very impressed with this little device. Just so you know where I'm coming from, my cell phone history starts with my current Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Blaze 4G... and it goes on and on and on. I am a smart phone aficionado, and this little thing impresses me.

The screen has great viewing angles, and looks great in general. I dare say I like the color and viewing angles better than on my Nexus 5. The blacks don't become a light grey at the extreme corner angles. Obviously, my 5" 1080p is more of a pleasure to use than the 4.5" 720p overall, but I had to comment on just how rich and beautiful the Moto G display is. The size means that it has a PPI of about 329. The iPhone 5's retina display, for comparison, sits at 326ppi. The vast majority of people will need no more than what this display has to offer. And, AND... it's wrapped in Gorilla Glass 3. Not that it should really matter that much, I've had Gorilla Glass scratch and seen it shatter so it isn't a super material... but some people will be glad to have it.

The Quad Core 1.2Ghz Snapdragon 400 was fast enough for me. According to some benchmarks I've seen, it supposedly runs about as fast as the Nexus 4. The difference seems to be that this CPU simply sips on the battery. But, I'll get to more on that later. The GPU seemed fast enough for me on the benchmarks I'd run. Not the fastest, but by no means slow. The device doesn't have as much RAM at 1GB as higher end phones which tend to come in at 2GB. However for the average person this will not matter. Android's memory management is pretty good. While a power user might be able to occasionally catch blips associated to the lack of extra ram, the average user will never see it.

For a casual user, the battery life will simply be phenomenal. My own mom, with some light-ish use on mostly 3G network access did 21% battery use over 24 hours, and 55% over 3 days before charging. That's just crazy. Simply bananas. As a disclaimer, I bought 4 phones total and ran into a bug on one of my phones (that others have reported as well on some units) where a full discharge of the battery was not able to be recharged from fully dead without some serious fiddling. I managed to get that phone charging again and decided to try and run the battery down (testing) and I ran into problems. I couldn't tax the battery. I ran benchmarks, 3D intensive simulations, etc... the thing would not give up it's battery. I'm returning the questionable phone, but given that there are bad eggs in any production batch, I'm not docking any stars. I think this phone is worth the 5 stars, regardless of the occassional bad build.

Cons? There's no "advanced" features. There's no LTE (4G) radio on board. There's no NFC sensor for sharing links or doing financial transactions. There's no wireless charging, nor any 802.11ac support for the WiFi. However the average user might not really care about, or need, those things. LTE would've been nice, and most people have been convinced that they need 4G in their lives. However many are reporting real-life 3-4Mb/s transfer rates on their Moto G's... I get 12Mb/s on my DSL. How much speed do you really need to check the weather? I don't see how NFC didn't make the cut, but I guess at the price I can't complain. I'm not wild that the volume rocker is on the same side as the power button, but that's not a big deal.

Pros? This phone feels great in the hand. It has a good weight. I never liked the ultra-light feel of the samsung flagship phones. The phone feels solid despite having a user removable back plate. Oh, and you can replace the back plate with colorful replacements, or flip covers, or what have you.

For most anyone, this will be an absolutely fantastic choice. Don't be afraid, just buy it.
1818 comments| 694 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2013
Recently had to give up my iPhone 5 and was in need of a new, unlocked phone that I could use immediately. Perusing about amazon, I came across the Moto G and started doing some research on this puppy and liked what I read; decided to take the plunge. My immediate reaction to using this device has been extremely positive, and surpassed my expectations coming from an iPhone 5. At a $180'ish price point, the performance and the most put together Android/Google experience the Moto G delivers is unmatched.

What you get with the phone:
Moto G and charging cable... That's it!

Design:
Honestly, for a phone this cheap, this is a slick looking phone. With its concave design, matte black back plate and just about edge-to-edge glass on the face, you do not need to worry about the Moto G looking like a cheap Korean phone. This thing has style. The weight of the phone seems to be on the heavier side, which I like a lot, makes it feel well built and valuable. Comparing this Moto G to my Fiance's 4s, I have to say the Moto G looks better than the more expensive 4s. The only physical buttons on the Moto G is the lock and volume rocker, which adds to the simplicity and coolness of this phone's design. The home, back and multi-task buttons are on the screen.

One design flaw that bummed me out is how you have to remove the back plate to insert your sim card. Seems like Motorola/Google could have thought of a better way to make this process easier. I ended up snapping the thin plastic on the top of the headphone jack. I'm the only one that notices it, but it's there and it's a bummer.

UX/UI
The first time I have seen a perfect marriage of an Android OS implementation and Google's awesome applications. If you have ever used an Android from another vendor, the OS tends to feel like a bootleg copy of another or does not feel polished like Apple's iOS. Using the Moto G, you will notice that this looks like the way Google intended their Android OS to be implemented on a device--remember, Google purchased Motorola and their handsets are starting to show the benefits of this acquisition. No weird bloatware is forced upon you, you basically get all of the Google apps, Motorola Migrate and that's about it. The Moto G is a lean machine out of the box, which is something I was thankful for when I first started it up.

Also, the OS does a good job of guiding you on how to use the Google-centric apps instead of the on-board messaging/email apps with your google account, which each application is intuitive and runs flawlessly so far. Login to your Google account on startup and your whole Google-cloud-You is automatically loaded into your new Moto G almost instantly. Overall the interface and experience the Moto G delivers, running Android Jelly Bean, feels cohesive and intuitive. After using iPhones for so long, you tend to hear about "fragmentation," "walled gardens" in the Android universe, but the experience this Motorola delivers offers a glimpse into some pretty cool things to come for the Android OS--with Motorola handsets.

Performance:
I will warn you that I am not a mobile gamer. I use my phone to get things done and keep my life in order but would consider myself a power user, but have no need or want to play games on my phone--personally, I need tactile feedback to play video games... Anyways, this thing zips. After playing with crappy Android based tablets and witnessing some of the performance issues friends and relatives have with their Android phones, I was expecting some hiccups here and there at this price point. Motorola HAD to pinch pennies somewhere on this phone, right?! Well, they did compromise dollars here and there on this offering, but not so much in the hardware. This thing is a speedy little handset that will be more than adequate for the average user and I think if you are a power user that needs your phone to be productive, the Moto G should be able to handle everything you throw at it.

Not only does the quad-core processor and 1gb of RAM in this little beast zip, but it is a true battery sipper. Battery saver mode shuts down background functions you don't absolutely need to get every drip of battery juice. The efficiency of this phone is amazing, don't even need to charge it through the day even when using mostly cellular data.

Speaking of cellular data, one thing you should know about the Moto G is that one of the cost-saving features that Motorola implemented is that this phone is 3G only. This is not a huge deal to me as in my area 3G is fast enough. I also do not watch Netflix on my phone or anything, I have a Roku for that. Honestly, it's a small compromise for a phone this nice at this price point, I don't think it's a big deal. Your mileage will vary, so it is something to take into consideration.

Display/Camera
The display on the Moto G is sharp. No obvious aliasing or pixelation, everything looks crisp and clean... Except for the default background, get rid of that as soon as you get your Moto G.

The camera is probably the biggest compromise made to the Moto G that I recognize and am kind "meh." about. It will shoot 720p video, which is completely fine; shoots panorama images (cool); frigin burst mode (pretty cool); and that's about it. The still camera quality is nothing compared to what you will find on the iPhone 5 and up or other more expensive handsets on the market. BUT THAT'S OK! You're taking photos with your phone and posting them on instagram or Facebook or whatever, not shooting editorial photography for [insert any nationally recognized magazine name here].

Overall:
If you're looking for an unlocked phone or tired of the BS bloatware that comes with Android Handsets from other vendors, BUY THIS PHONE. This thing is a gem and the compromises that Motorola made to get the Moto G to this price point were all spot-on, correct decisions that consumers can really appreciate.
55 comments| 412 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2013
I got the 16GB global GSM version direct from Motorola instead of Amazon as they were shipping faster but here it goes anyway. The phone feels well built, of quality materials and it handles well (can almost be use one-handed). I would have preferred the power button on top but it still better than having it on the left.

Pros

- good quadcore processor handles tasks easily given the 1GB of RAM
- not much fluff on top of Android4.3 and guaranteed update to 4.4
- good looking screen with vibrant colors and great resolution/DPI
- built-in FM radio (yes, I'm old-fashioned but it was a must for me)
- camera is decent for a phone
- LED is powerful enough and makes a good spot for using as flashlight
- built in compass is fairly precise and does not jump around much

Cons

- no SD card (this is more of a fault to me since I like to put loads of music on my phone and thus only 4 star rating. You get ~12GB free with the 16GB version)
- no 4G (I get 8Mbits/second in San Jose, CA using 3G though which is sufficient to watch Neflix without a hitch)

Update to cons: the new LTE version of the MotoG fixes both these cons with the slight caveat that SD card capacity is limited to 32GB. I think 64GB should have been a minimum.

Edit1: despite what the description says in San Jose, CA using T-mobile prepaid I am not limited to 2G service. Actually 3G speeds are quite good as noted above. More than enough for me.

Edit2: reordered cons from my point of view

Edit3: as of 12/25/2013 firmware was updated to Android 4.4.2.

Edit4: as of 06/07/2014 firmware was updated to Android 4.4.3.
3434 comments| 574 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2014
I am very happy with this phone in general. Firstly, let's get the bad out of the way. The quad core processor DOES in fact lag through menus, and it is definitely noticeable running the newest version of Android. The price is certainly indicitave of this, and I wasn't expecting the world from a 200 dollar unlocked phone, however, I wish I could launch Google Play Music without 20 second delays, and the program force closing itself. Now, for the good. This phone is very aesthetically pleasing, and is a beauty to hold, especially for the price. It looks and feels like the Moto X, a much higher end phone. For the price, you will get a premium android experience. The two stand out features are:
1. The camera shutter speed:insanely fast with shortcuts from the lock screen. If you want a phone that can snap an average pic very quickly, trust me, you'll be happy.
2. The screen. Oh my, this screen is INSANELY SHARP. For the price I expected perhaps 180 dpi, not over 300. We are talking sharper-than-retina-display pixel density. No joke, icons are sharp, text is beautiful, and even in high sunlight, the vividity and tone of the display are very impressive.

Conclusion: While the speed lags behind today's high end smartphones, for 200.00 USD, this is a premium experience in a durable, sleek and modern cell phone. Camera is good and the screen is amazing. I suggest renting an HD show from Google Play to test it. You won't be disappointed, and like me, will be very happy with your new phone. I would only skip this if the processor speed is truly a problem for you. Thank you for reading my review and good luck!
on September 4, 2014
I must be the unluckiest guy with respect to this phone. The first phone that arrived wouldn't read my SIM card no matter what I tried. The second phone, the replacement, worked perfectly for an hour. Then, after the new system update, it became useless. Would only flash the Motorola logo on and off every couple of minutes. Tried several methods outlined on tech forums but couldn't get the phone to fully boot up. Returned second phone for the standard refund.
on March 29, 2014
It's perfect for my son, I will buy it and love it, says it's the best phone currently on medium to high range it's perfect for him!
review image
on February 14, 2014
I realized that my original post didn't include anything about actual phone use. Call quality is amazing! I have used many cell phones with the same prepaid service and none can measure up to it. Calls are crystal clear, and loud enough for people who are slightly hard of hearing (like me) to hear. Absolutely no static or noise on calls. After 4 months of use, I still stand by my original post.

By far the best deal you can get for a phone that's not part of a 2-year contract! The price is amazing and the phone, well what can I say? You would think that it would feel cheap or something. It's got Android 4.3 Jelly Bean when you purchase it. As soon as you turn it on, it updates to Android 4.4 KitKat. It has the stock Android OS and none of the extra garbage that comes with a carrier phone. The speed is super FAST! No sluggishness, no crashing due to lack of memory. The battery is nonremovable. Not sure what I'd do if the phone got "stuck" on something, but that hasn't happened yet. I recommend getting the 16GB version for $20 more because there is no SD card slot. Out of the 16GB, you get about 12GB that's usable. It has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and it can be turned into a mobile hotspot. The camera isn't that bad. It is a 5 megapixel and this is a phone after all. If you want vacation photos, take them with a real camera. Battery life is pretty amazing. If I'm playing a game on it all day, it will last about a day. If I do typical surfing, checking email, etc. it will last about 3 days. I can't find any negatives with this phone. I use it with a prepaid plan. Oh, make sure you have a MICRO SIM card. I didn't realize until after I purchased that I had the wrong size sim card.
44 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2014
Have been a Tracfone user for many years because I refuse to pay $60-$100/month for phone with a data plan. I wanted a better phone than those currently offered by Tracfone without paying $600. I got this and the T-Mobile prepaid starter kit, cut the sim down to a micro-sim, and got T-Mobile's $30 plan. Very sturdy phone with a long lasting battery. I have a Nexus 7 so I am right at home with the OS. Will keep review short and say I agree with Pros of other reviews. 3 Cons, minor but annoying. 1. My dumb Tracfones have the option to remind you with a subtle vibration that you have a message waiting. There was no option for this by default but I fixed with Missed Message Flasher app. The second is that most, if not all the time when I unplug phone jack from headphones or car stereo plug it doesn't pause like my ipods (going all the way back to my 2nd generation touch) do. I will be listening to podcast going to work and unplug when I get there, and when I get in the office hear the podcast continuing at low volume in my pocket. 3. Agree with others that buttons on the bottom would be better if they were physical buttons rather than on the screen. There is room for them and it would increase screen size for most situations (unless watching video, when they disappear). The pluses far outweigh these minor gripes, but keep me from giving it a 5 star rating.
on February 12, 2014
I have read reviews, most positive, but a few doubters - now it's my turn. For years I had an economical little flip phone. I could make & receive calls and do the same with texts. I had a simple plan through (no contract) Consumer Cellular for myself & my son for $57 a month for both phones. That was sweet, but I got the bug for more and something that wasn't clam shelled. I wanted a good camera; help with directions; be able to search for products when not at home; be able to send faster texts (you can speak to the phone instead of type) and a phone that would work in my 2013 car that wouldn't require me to turn off the car & phone in order to disconnect. Yup, otherwise it just kept redialing. A $150 - $200 a month service agreement with a well advertised provider was out of the question, as was the outright purchase of a $400-$700 unlocked cell phone that could do everything except paint the kitchen for me. What's a gal to do. Well, after searching, shopping and daydreaming online for 6 months, this gal got really, really lucky at the exact right moment - thanks to Motorola's Moto G. For just $179 I pre-ordered one from amazon and now that I have it, I pay a little extra for a minimal amount of data and have learned the wonderful advantages of WiFi in keeping my costs under control. I stayed with Consumer Cellular (getting a free sim card from them); love the convience of my Moto G and my monthly bill shot up to a rousing $60 a month for two phones. I don't need to hear about the things this phone doesn't have or can't do, because what it 'can' do it is give me everyting I need. I just ordered my son(who thinks this phone is awsome) a Moto G and it won't change our cellular bill one penny while increasing our services by over double. Now, to be fair, I'll point out that neither of us use our phone for business, so we don't need a plan with every trick in the book, but I haven't found a trick yet that my Moto G won't do. It's a good phone at a great price and it makes me happy. What more can you ask? Thank you Motorola.
on March 10, 2014
After being on Verizon LTE, I was hesitant about the fact that this was a 3G phone. I heard a couple of reviews about the speed and from a friend that it's pretty fast. Sure enough, it is fast. I've got Straighttalk with AT&T and I'm getting 3G+ HSPA network. Personally, I think the AT&T 3G+HSPA is faster than 4G LTE I had with Verizon.

The phone has a fantastic screen. It's smooth and fast - no problems with Netflix/Youtube/hi-speed hotspot. Sound quality (earpiece and speaker) is great. Battery life is good for me; lasts the whole day. 16GB is more than enough.

I bought Straight Talk micro sim card for AT&T. There's a little configuration for data access but nothing too difficult; only took a few minutes. I've got a very nice phone for $200 and a $45 monthly plan (1/2 of what I had a verizon) for unlimited talk/data/text with hi-speed data and wifi-hotspot (an additional fee with Verizon) on the AT&T network at half the price. Awesome deal & without a contract! (For data you get full speed up to 2.5 GB and throttled down after 2.5GB but 2.5GB is alot of data)

Summary: It's fast, good size, inexpensive, good quality, super value.

P.S. I'm surprised there are SO many people still buying absurdly expensive hand-cuffed service thru the traditional big carriers! I cant believe I've been on of them for such a long time and wasting hundreds of dollars every year!