- Size (LWH): 5 inches, 2.6 inches, 0.5 inches
- Weight: 5.6 ounces
- Network Compatibility: CDMA
- Minimum Rated Talk Time: 600 minutes
- Minimum Rated Standby Time: 200 hours
Motorola Photon 4G Android Phone (Sprint)
- Android Gingerbread 2.3-powered smartphone with 4G wireless connectivity and 4.3-inch qHD multi-touch display for brilliant video playback
- 1.0 GHz dual-core NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor plus 1 GB of RAM for excellent multitasking; Wi-Fi networking (with optional hotspot capability)
- 8-MP camera; HD 720p camcorder; 16 GB internal memory; microSD expansion; Bluetooth stereo music; access to personal and corporate e-mail; HDMI mirroring to external monitor
- Up to 10 hours of talk time, up to 200 hours (8.3 days) of standby time; released in July, 2011
- What's in the Box: handset, rechargeable battery, USB cable/charger, pre-installed global SIM card, quick start guide
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
The Motorola Photon is a feature-packed Android smartphone powered by a 1 GHz dual-core Tegra2 processor, and features a high-resolution 4.3-inch qHD screen, a 8 megapixel camera, and a front facing camera. The Photon supports WiMAX 4G and GSM/WCDMA global capabilities. Other key features include support for PC-like dock accessories, built-in kickstand for media viewing, HDMI and DLNA TV output, WiFi, and a microSD memory card slot. This Android device also offers access to thousands of apps, games, movies, and music on Google's Play Store.
The Motorola PHOTON 4G for Sprint provides ultra-fast, on-the-go connectivity via Sprint's 4G network as well as global voice and data connectivity for your world travels. Running the Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS (learn more below), it's powered by a 1 GHz dual-core NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor and includes 1 GB of powerful PC-grade RAM, empowering you to browse, download, and multitask all at maximum speeds. And with the optional HD Multimedia Dock, you can connect to an external monitor to play music and videos on the big screen as well as take advantage of Motorola's innovative webtop application for full Firefox multi-tab browsing.
The 4G-enabled Motorola PHOTON 4G (view larger).
It runs on Sprint's expanding 4G network, offering simultaneous voice and data connectivity and download speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G. Additionally, the phone can still connect to 3G data services in areas not currently served by Sprint's 4G network (learn more about Sprint's 4G network below). And whether traveling to Europe or Asia, the PHOTON 4G provides globetrotters the freedom of reliable global connectivity to GSM and 3G UMTS networks via Sprint Worldwide international services.
The PHOTON 4G features a brilliant 4.3-inch qHD display, which offers a rich 24-bit color depth and a 960 x 540-pixel resolution for extremely sharp images. And the screen is made of scratch-resistant Corning Gorilla Glass with a glare-reducing coating. It also comes with a kickstand integrated into the rear of the handset for easy viewing of video.
Equipped with powerful imaging enhancement software, the PHOTON's 8-megapixel camera delivers shutter lag speeds rivaling those of a standalone digital camera--less blur, fewer missed shots, more action, more picture perfect photos. You can capture HD 720p videos from the rear 8-MP camera, and the PHOTON 4G boasts a front-facing VGA camera for easy on-the-go video chats.
Connect to home, business, and hotspot networks with the integrated Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking, and you'll be able to share your 4G connection with up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices simultaneously via the 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot capability. Other features include GPS for navigation and location-based services, Bluetooth for hands-free devices and stereo music streaming, 16 GB internal memory, microSD memory expansion to 32 GB, full HTML browser, and up to 10 hours of talk time.
Includes integrated kickstand for optimal video viewing (view larger).
Stream the latest Hollywood hits and TV shows instantly and view them in beautiful clarity thanks to the Motorola PHOTON 4G's stunning 4.3-inch qHD display. With the optional HD Multimedia Dock, you can connect to a big screen (either HDTV or external monitor with HDMI port) as well as plug in peripherals such as a keyboard or a mouse via its USB ports for a PC-like experience. You can also connect the PHOTON 4G to external monitors via an optional wired HDMI cable as well as stream video and audio to compatible DLNA devices.
With 16 GB of onboard storage with the option to expand storage of up to 48 GB with an optional microSD card, the PHOTON 4G allows you to keep photos and videos directly on the device. Or if you prefer, share them immediately on social media sites like Flikr, Picasa, or Facebook.
Access Business Productivity
The PHOTON 4G features Motorola's revolutionary webtop application, which extends the PHOTON into something far beyond the average smartphone. Just connect your PHOTON to unique HD Multi-Media dock accessory and webtop does the rest. Via an HDMI connection to HDTV or PC monitor, launch a full Firefox 4.0 browser that gives you access to your phone’s interface, 200,000 Android Marketplace apps, surf the Web, make calls, send texts, or run GoogleDocs, and other Web apps.
To make sure this data remains yours alone, PHOTON 4G implements several business-grade security measures such as data encryption and remote device management for maximum security. Take it everywhere as PHOTON 4G keeps you connected with world phone calling and video chat for the easiest way to stay ahead the world around.
The Motorola PHOTON 4G weighs 5.6 ounces and measures 5 x 2.6 x 0.5 inches. Its 1700 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 10 hours of talk time and up to 200 hours (8.3 days) of standby time. It runs on Sprint's 4G network as well as the 800/1900 CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A frequencies.
What's in the Box
Motorola PHOTON 4G handset, rechargeable battery, USB cable/charger, pre-installed global SIM card, quick start guide
Sprint's Blazing Fast 4G Network
Sprint 4G offers a faster wireless experience than any other U.S. national wireless carrier, and Sprint is the only national carrier offering wireless 4G service in 32 markets (with more coming online soon). Sprint 4G delivers download speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G, giving this mobile phone the fastest data speeds of any U.S. wireless device available today. Sprint 4G network coverage is expected to reach 120 million people by the end of 2010.
Sprint 4G services dramatically increase download speeds for photos, videos and large files. You can download a favorite song, picture, sitcom or large video in seconds, not minutes, or watch live streaming video--all while on the go, not just from the home or office. Additionally, businesses can benefit from the fast connectivity speeds of 4G. Some examples include:
- Real estate agents can conduct virtual property tours.
- Construction teams using 4G in the field can save valuable time by sharing schematics with engineers online.
- Insurance companies can speed their claims management through real-time communication with on-site adjusters.
- Health care professionals can improve their ability to remotely monitor patients.
- Emergency first responders can rapidly assess and coordinate disaster action with real-time on-site video and audio.
- Photojournalists can instantly transfer high-resolution images to the newsroom.
Android Gingerbread Operating System
The Motorola PHOTON 4G runs the Android 2.3 operating system (dubbed Gingerbread)--the fastest version of Android available for smartphones yet. It features a cleaner, more refined interface with new icons, improved top notification bar, and more intuitive navigation. Multitasking in Gingerbread allows you the ability to run more than one app at a time. If you're playing a game, you can easily switch to an incoming e-mail and then switch back to the game without losing your place. And like the previous version of Android ("Froyo"), Gingerbread provides support for Adobe Flash Player 10.1 for access to the full Web.
A new onscreen keyboard makes it easier to type thanks to additional spacing between the keys and larger font sizes. And the more you use the keyboard, the easier typing will be as the enhanced suggest feature records previous input history to make better suggestions.
The PHOTON 4G also brings one-touch access to the popular Google mobile services you use every day, including Google Search, Gmail, Google Maps with Navigation, Google Calendar, Picasa, and YouTube. It also provides easy access to both personal and corporate e-mail, calendars, and contacts supported by Exchange Server and Gmail. And through Android Market, you'll get access to thousands of useful applications, widgets, and fun games to download and install on your phone, with many more apps being added every day.
Also Available for This Android Device
Amazon Appstore for Android
Top Customer Reviews
For a business Android phone, the Photon was really my only dual core option with Sprint;
I had upgraded my original Evo to the Evo 3D and was extremely disappointed.
- Call quality and batter life were very poor, even in comparison to my older Evo
- I was in San Diego for comic con and my phone would leave my charger at 7am and be dead before 1pm.
- This is with only making 1-2 calls and no internet surfing, minimal texting.
- That was with GPS / Bluetooth / 4G turned off.
I need a phone that can last the work day and the Motorola Photon does not disappoint.
- I was easily able to make a large amount of calls, text, email and still have 25-40% left on the battery (7am-6:30pm)
- This is with Bluetooth and GPS on the whole time.
- Phone also did not get as hot as the Evo 3D
There is a very significant difference in call quality between the evo 3d and the Photon.
- Both voice and speakerphone were signifcantly better with the Photon.
- Signal reception was the best of any Sprint Phone I have owned (i.e. was able to get 4G Data in spots where my Evo or Evo 3D could not)
I like the way the phone looks cosmetically.
- Build quality is solid, but not a big fan of the back of the phone
- Screen quality is very good. (i.e. Great Color and Contrast, but you do notice the "Pixalated" look at times)
The Doc Station is a nice touch
- Purchased the Doc Station (Which by the way sells for $99.Read more ›
Here are my thoughts and experiences with the Photon. I'll leave the technicalities to reviewers who know more about these things than me. These comments are just about how "user friendly" I find the Photon, and you can ignore #1 should an international feature not be important to you. You should consider it, however, as you will read in the first paragraph:
1) I was upgrading from the Blackberry Tour, and first on my list of "wants" was that the phone have international capabilities. The EVO and other Sprint phones do not, and after being stranded at Charles De Gaulle airport for thirty one hours several years ago, I never travel without an international phone. I think this is an important feature for any phone user as this is not an "add on" should the opportunity for international travel arise.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I love the size of this phone, it's about the size of an iPhone SE. It feels very durable in build quality, very solid. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Jay
I expected the phone to be better with more features. No it didn'tPublished 22 months ago by Marina Frausto
I'm very happy with the purchase of this item,,, also had the best price and thePublished 22 months ago by FELIX ANTONIO MEJIAS HERNANDEZ
This device was ahead of its time but was totally undermined when Motorola / Google reneged on the promised ICS support. Read morePublished 24 months ago by CosmicHam
I ordered this phone, it came in perfect condition. However, I am constantly getting add pop-ups that slow my phone down and drain my battery! I have no idea how to get these off!.Published on December 24, 2013 by Rachel Norvelle
I had purchased a different phone before this and had nothing but trouble. This seller was fast, and offered excellent value. Very glad I went with this purchase.Published on October 20, 2013 by Shannon Smith
Bought this phone to switch from T mobile to Ting. I did have the sensation 4g on T mobile....there is no comparison on performance, the sensation was better;... Read morePublished on October 3, 2013 by P. Longo
I realy enjoyed this phone. It never ran out of space to download anything in my imagination. I also invested in the lapdock which was great fun. Read morePublished on September 28, 2013 by Bravomom