Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Motorola Protective Portfolio Case for MOTOROLA XOOM (Motorola Retail Packaging)
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

Format: Personal Computers|Change

on March 9, 2011
This is the type of product that comes close to being good on so many levels - but never quite gets there. Full of good idea's that were never quite implemented properly.

The Xoom does fit securely in the case, I never get the impression my Xoom is about to fall out for fit and security it's perfect.

Overall the case is good, the majority of the outer cover is a semi hard vinyl/plastic like material - much like you would find on luggage but firmer, perhaps due to some adhesive used to give it strength. This is fine by me as this material will gives it a bit of shock resistance should something heavy fall on it. It has a textured surface which helps prevent it from slipping from your grip.

The edges of the case are hard plastic and do a fair job of protecting the corners from impacts. This protection was obviously not the intent - as the hard plastic is primarily designed to hold the tablet in place, otherwise the corner plastic would have been made just a bit larger to protect the bottom corners completely.

The inside of the case where the back of the tablet sits is similar to the outer shell, but not textured and a bit more fabric like feel. The inside that covers the screen when closed is made of a hardened foam that helps protect the screen. There are built in troughs that the bottom of the tablet can sit in when open to give it a nice viewing angle when watching video, running a slide show etc...

The largest design flaw is the fact that although there are cutouts for the speakers, power button, camera, headphones, SD slot - they have neglected to make cutouts where they are needed the most! There is no opening for the charger, USB, or HDMI - so anytime you want to charge the unit, connect it to your computer, or use the HDMI output you must have the case open - serious flaw. Who wants to leave their case sitting open when it is charging.

All in all it's okay, and I would recommend it overall, but know that it is a tiny bit frustrating to have such potential and then fail because of simple flaws.
1414 comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2011
I am not sure why everyone is so down on this case. I purchased it locally because of all the negative reviews so I could return it quickly if the negativity was justified - it isn't.
First off, all the complaints about scratches are bogus. The case does not scratch the device in anyway. It's plastic on metal... which do you think's gonna win?
Quite honestly, other than it's slightly bulbus profile, the only "negative" thing I could find on it was that it doesn't have a very good typing angle setting. There's tilted, more tilted, and flat with a slight incline.
Excellent feel. Excellent protection. This thing could be dropped from quite a ways and survive with this case on.
Overall, it does exactly what it says. This isn't an apple product that fits inside, no crazy scratches here ;-)
77 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2011
All in all, I do not think that the case is bad. I have read other reviews where there are claims that the materials separate or that the device get scratched. I have not noticed those in my case, it might be a manufacturing defect.

I have 2 main complaints about this case:
1. As mentioned before, no charging port hole. I might cut a hole and resolve this issue...

There is another flaw that got not thing to do with the case - The charging port on the Xoom is at the bottom of the device. If you want to charge the device while tilting it it's impossible.

2. The case leaves some dirt on the screen, I keep having 3 lines of dirt that come from the case.

Outside of that, the case is protecting my Xoom very well.
on March 25, 2012
I'd take this review serious, due to the fact that I have purchased every case you can possibly put this Xoom into. And in the end this is the one I use every day! By far the most user friendly and most efficient case for the xoom - period. It is light, it is rugged, it is ergonomical, easy to access all ports, it protects, it lasts, and it just works. Nothing fancy about it, just 100% functional. I am a pool contractor and I use (abuse) this Xoom purely for work, and I have put this Xoom and this case through hell and back. No joke. From +120deg. temps down here in Phoenix, Az to -10deg. below in Flagstaff, Az. I purchased this Xoom the week it came out along with this original case, Not one glitch! To say the least, I am very impressed with both. I'm still using my original Xoom and case! Both are still rocking right along. That has to speak for something.
VINE VOICEon May 18, 2011
As you would expect from a case designed by the manufacterer specifically for the Xoom, this has a nice snug it and offers decent protection. Unfotunatly Motorola made two HUGE mishaps that make this not only annoying to use, but it actually DAMAGES your Xoom.

The first issue probably wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it's a foolish omission on Motorola's part. That is while they made a nice cut out for the camera, speaker, headphone, SIM, and even the non-funtional SDCard slot they failed to make one for the charger port! This means you have to have the case open while charging.

The secind and real deal breaker is that the case damages your Xoom. The inside basically has 4 clips that hold the Xoom into place. You slide it into the top two, than snap it into the bottom two. To stand it up you unsnap it from the bottom two. Problem is those cclips are made from hard plastic with no protective material. So they scratch you Xoom. I was lucky I was able to get the store to let me exchange my Xoom after it was scratched. What is the point of a case that damages your device?

I strongly suggest looking elsewhere for a case. Try the one by Acase, or if you want extra protection get the Otterbox one. Motorola missed the mark big time here.
on June 3, 2013
I'd read terrible reviews of these cases when the Xoom first came out, but now when they're on closeout under $5 I thought "they couldn't be that bad." Boy, was I wrong. Where do I start?

-- Once snapped in all around (the tablet is held reasonably well) the cover is a total failure. Want to look at the tablet in portrait mode? The cover won't wrap around and fit smoothly against the back; it springs back over the screen like an annoying screen door. Maybe I could crease its hinge, but I shouldn't have to.

-- More on the cover: want to snap it closed to protect the tablet? Sorry, can't do that either. The curved hard plastic clips go around the side but don't catch -- there are no detents or other moldings to hold the durn thing closed. Screen door effect again.

-- Want to park the tablet in landscape orientation like the picture shows? You have to PARTIALLY UNSNAP it from the case in order to slide it into one of the grooves. I'm not sure how that works because I gave up trying.

-- Want to plug in your tablet to power while it's in the case? Sorry chump, no holes along the hinge to permit this either.

In sum, maybe my odds of being satisfied were about the same as with the Power Ball Lottery, so taking a chance for $3.46 (plus SUT) didn't cost me much. If you feel lucky, send me your address and you can try it out, just pay S&H.
on April 1, 2011
The Xoom portfolio case is a pretty good case in my opinion. I didn't buy it initially due to the poor reviews it has generally received, but I quickly grew tired of lugging around a seperate dock or stand, so I decided to give it a chance.

Overall, I am happy with the case. It provides the two basic functions I was looking for; protection for the Xoom and a built in stand. My only disappointment with it, is the same one mentioned by most people, which is that it doesn't have a cutout for the charger.

I have read some reviews stating that the case scratched their Xoom. I have not experienced this problem, and I honestly don't see how it would happen if you're careful with it.

I agree that the case is not perfect, but for me it gets the job done well enough. I fail to understand why so many people dislike it so much. If you're on the fence about the case due to the bad reviews, I would suggest giving it a try and judging for yourself.
on October 9, 2011
I had a lot of hopes for this case, especially give my experiences with a similar [ and I use that word loosely ] iPad case, but the results are uneven at best.

Within one day the "latch" portion didn't close right. There are a couple grooves to prop the tablet up but only one is usable. Once you do prop it up in the groove, it's prone to slipping which is ironic given that getting it into position is not easy -- you have to pop the bottom corners out and to do you have to turn the device off so you can grip the screen. Also, if you're not careful when popping the bottom corners out, you run the risk of the top portion sliding down and resting right on the volume control.

The one good thing I can say about it is that I do feel like it really protects the tablet. I can throw it into my purse without thought.
on June 15, 2011
At the moment there are very few portfolios available for the Xoom. This one, by Motorola, looks nice and provides good all around protection for the tablet.

However, it's next to useless as a 'stand'. Upon opening, you can put the Xoom in one of two 'tilt' positions -- sort of upright, and sort of reclined. However, the ridges on the case aren't deep enough and don' have enough grip to hold the tablet. Consequently, as you're swiping, tapping, or typing on the Xoom, the thing continually collapses down into the flat position. Annoying, and the repeated thumping down is likely to damage the tablet at some stage.

Also, when the tablet is in the case, you cannot access any of the ports (e.g. charging) on the bottom of the tablet because there are no cutouts there. A quick session with a Dremel took care of that. However, that only helps when the tablet is flat or the case is closed due to the design of the Xoom itself and the location of the bottom ports.

Two stars because the portfolio is well built and provides good protection when closed. Otherwise useless and not recommended.
on December 9, 2015
I was just replacing the older case I had which became worn down and kept slipping off. This fits this tablet quite snug and I think it will last quite a while. I'm sure there's no one out trying to buy this tablet now furthermore this case so this review will probably go unnoticed, but I have some time to waste so I'm writing reviews.