Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 8, 2011
*UPDATE-2* March 2016
I have now configured this router in a simple bridge modem mode, because both the router part and the wireless parts were causing issues.
I am using Cisco RV325 (firmware v1.2.1.14) as my router, and have Wi-Fi access point WAP561 (firmware 1.2.0.2). This combination works wonderfully! I am running IPv4 and IPv6 dual-stack in my network.
The Comcast delivers with Blast! tier, and as of now I'm paying $49.99/month.
Speed tests are available here:
[...]
*UPDATE-2*

*UPDATE-1*
Looks like self install/activation guide didn't properly add this router to CMTS/Billing system of Comcast. Because of that, CMTS wasn't pushing new software code. Spend more than an hour to get it added.
*/UPDATE-1*

When I recently signed up for Comcast, I've got rental modem - DOCSIS 3.0 Ubee. I also had separate small/medium office level router.
Performance I was getting from it was pretty strong (Ubee in bridge mode + Cisco ISR 1941w). Both wired and wireless (.11n) had same performance: 25mbps down/3.5mbps up.

I wanted something quiet, and at the same time high performance. Motorola SBG6580 has everything I need from router. Both wired and wireless performance is almost same as previous setup, but now only single device instead of two. Only complaint - under heavy traffic loads through SBG6580, I can observe increased jitter for VoIP and hi-def video conferencing applications. But this is expected behavior.

Setup: completed swap of rented Ubee modem within 10 minutes.
1. disconnected Ubee,
2. connected coax cable to SBG6580
3. connected my laptop's ethernet port to SBG6580's ethernet port and waited till laptop acquired IP from SBG6580. (in my case laptop got 192.168.0.2 and SBG6580 had 192.168.0.1)
4. opened random web page and comcast's DNS redirected me to activation web-page.
5. provided account number ( can be found on monthly bill) and phone number
6. web-page guided me through activation process and within 4-5 minutes modem rebooted twice and upon reboot I could now surf Internet.
7. I disabled WPS as I prefer manual wireless configuration. I've configured 40MHz wide channel for .11n so I can reach 300Mbps and lowered wireless power to 25% (in my small apartment I don't need wide coverage).
8. Completely disabled web-filtering/firewall/content-popup blocker/other app level monitoring on router - I have appropriate software on my laptop to take care of these tasks.

With these settings when I go to speedtest.net, I can see that there is no difference between hardwired ethernet and wireless .11n
[...]

Pros: very easy to setup; solid performance; small size, low power consumption; doesn't make any noise; has built-in 4port 1GE switch

Cons: didn't let me override DNS server address that is assigned to wireless/hard-wired devices; more noticeable jitter under heavy load; doesn't cook dinner

Hope this review been informative. I'd be glad to answer your questions should you have any
on September 23, 2013
Hi everybody, when I first bought the SBG6580 I was wary of the bad reviews and the disconnection problems, and I felt horrible when these issues started appearing in my SBG. Having solved the issue 2 weeks ago I would like to share it with as many people as I can to prevent this from happening to anyone else. The review I am about to write will cover the problem I encountered and the solution in a short and long format, and will be accompanied by photos. So let's begin-

*Short Version Guide:*

Go to 192.168.0.1, type in the username- admin and the password- motorola and look at the page that first appears (should be the Connection page). There should be three tables, look at the second one. Locate the Power column. If your power levels are negative, or if they're not within the range of -8dBmV and +8dBmV (meaning they are 9 or 10, or -9 or -10), you might have a problem. Now look at the third table and locate the power column. If your power levels are higher than 50dBmV, you might have a problem.

If it's not working well (meaning it works, but keeps disconnecting), it might look something like this- [Picture uploaded to costumer photos]
First thing you *should* do, although optional, is call Motorola support line. I've found them to have a great support line, and they'd be able to pinpoint the problem for you- their number is 1877-466-8646.

What they would probably tell you to do, and what you can do anyway if you don't want to call them, is to call your cable company support line. What you need is a technician to come over to your house and check all of your cable lines, to try and see why the power levels are bad, and the replace the cable or instrument that is malfunctioning (most likely not your modem, don't worry). The best way to get that is to call them up, be nice, go through all the hoops and all the attempts they try to restore your connection (if they manage to restore it, wait until it stops working again, call them again, and tell them it doesn't work and that you need a technician), and then eventually tell them that you need a technician because you called Motorola support and they said you have a problem with your power levels.

Usually that would do it. Don't be afraid to talk to the technician, show him the problem, but also listen to the tech and understand what they're saying.

Hopefully they'd get it right on the first visit, if not, do not despair, call them again.

I hope that helps anyone who's had the same issue as I did.

After fixing this issue my modem works great, the wifi extends throughout the whole house (2000sqft, cast walls mostly), and all channels are locked.

Good luck! Check out the extended guide below.

*Long Guide Version:*

*What causes the problem*

So let's get to the heart of the matter- Power levels.

Power levels are the strength of signal that your modem is receiving and sending through the cable connection. The SBG 6580 can handle power levels ranging from -15dBmV to +15dBmV for the download stream, and up to 55dBmV for the upstream (Not so sure about the negative upstream levels). That's all in theory though, because the actual OPTIMAL range is between -8dBmV to 8dBmV for the downstream, and up to about 52dBmV for the up stream. This doesn't necessarily mean that the Modem is crap because it can't handle higher (or lower) power levels, because it seems (after talking to TWC technicians) that these levels are also the cable companies' maximum and minimum power levels. So if you're exceeding these levels, there's a good chance your cable company is doing something wrong.

What are these power levels? In short, and to my completely ignorant understanding, they're the strength of the of the signal coming from through the cable from the cable company. This strength goes down as you move further away from the main line, or the place where they transmit the signal from. So basically the longer the wire is connecting your house to the "tap" (where the signal comes from)- the worse your power levels should be. The longer the cable going around your house- the worse your power levels should be. If it's an old cable, or the "tap" is malfunctioning- you're going to see bad power levels. (I say worse and bad instead of lower and low because I really have no idea how these things can work on a *negative* value, and how any of this works).

*Diagnosing the problem*

But let's not dwell on the technical mumbo jumbo and move on to *How to diagnose your problem, and how to solve it*-

The first thing we need to do is connect to our SBG6580 and get a reading of those power levels. The way to do that could not be easier- just type 192.168.1.1 in your browser address line (yes, it's a weird address, but it'll work). You'll be asked for a username and password- the default for the username is admin (just type in admin) and for the password- motorola (just type in motorola).

And this is what you should see (for a working modem)- [Picture uploaded to costumer photos]

(This was taken after my issue was fixed).

Locate the Power column on the Downstream Bonded Channels table. See how they're all between 6 and 7? That's good. Now look at the power levels on the Upstream table- 34.000 dBmV, that's also good. Notice how all 8 lines of the Downstream table and all 4 lines of the upstream table are full, this means your channels are locked, this is the optimal situation.

Now, this is what I saw when my modem was working, but kept disconnecting ever so often- [Picture uploaded to costumer photos]

Notice now how the downstream power levels are negative, and that they are much closer, or over -8dBmV. Usually I'd see ranges between -7 and -9 when my modem wasn't working well (during the times when it was still able to maintain a connection). This is what the levels look like when your modem is barely hanging on to the connection. It manages to lock all downstream channels, but barely. Now look at the monstrous upstream power level- 55.7dBmV! This would usually be 57dBmV, and it was the source of all my problems, also notice that only one upstream channel is locked, this would usually show when looking at your modem lights- if all channels are locked the light would be blue. If they're not all locked, but the modem is still able to connect, the light would be green. What I'd normally see is a green light for power, a blue light for downstream (the second light down), a green light for upstream (the third light down), and a green light (sometimes flashing) for the 4th light.

If you compare this photo to the one where the modem is working perfectly you can see that the high upstream levels are effectively disrupting all the other channels, causing them to go negative. While this did not cause any decrease in speed, it did cause the modem to lose signal every 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 3 hours, etc.

One thing I'd like to mention here- somehow (and I have no idea how or why), this is not an issue with the modem *itself*, but rather with how it receives the signal from the cable company. When the issue was fixed, it was fixed on the cable line itself (outside my house), and nothing was done to the modem.

Alright, one last thing I'd like to show you- this is how your modem looks while it is disconnected, and cannot reconnect- [Picture uploaded to costumer photos]

Here what we're seeing is the modem struggling to lock on to a signal, in the photo the downstream power level is -7, but I've seen it anywhere between -9.9dBmv to 43.0dBmV, the upstream is 49dBmV, but I've seen that go all the way up to 57 as well. I'm really not sure what's happening *inside* the modem, but it's clear that something is wrong, since it would stay like this for a while (sometimes hours). The lights on the modem, by the way, will flash green when it's trying to connect like this (either the downstream or upstream light).

*solving the problem*

So, now that we've been able to diagnose, how do we *solve the problem?*

Well, sadly there is only one way- call your cable company, and ask for a technician. Most of the time this means you'll have to go through the proper channels, call support, talk to the guy from India trying his hardest to mask his accent (god bless these guys, they do try hard, and do a great job most of the time), and eventually when all fails tell them you're seeing very high/abnormal power levels, and that you definitely need a technician.

When the technician comes tell them you're seeing abnormal power signals. They'll connect their little modem to your cable line and see what they're getting, then they'll check all the wires, and eventually check the tap. They'll then either replace the cables around your house, or the cables connecting to the tap, or they'll have to call a line guy to work on it and fix it the next day.

Do not despair, these guys are usually very nice, and good at what they do. If the problem persists a week later, again, do not despair, just call them again, and tell them what's happening. If you can meet up with the actual line repairman, do so, and explain to them what the problem was.

Hopefully this will help you fix your line and get the steady connection I am getting.

By the way, I have found that remote fixes (where they call you and say "we've changed something in our files, not your internet should work better") do not work very well, or for long. If your internet is working after one of these repairs wait at least 3 days to see if problems eventually persist.

*Actual review-*

Well, I have to admit, I don't really have anything to compare this modem to- it works well, wifi range is wonderful, covers the whole house (2000sqft, cast walls), speeds are great, there are no drops anymore, and the modem/router seems to have many features which I don't really use like uPnP, port forwarding, etc. Pretty basic, pretty simple to understand. There's also the option of creating a guest network, which I guess is good for some specific uses, and there's also WPS, which might be useful to some people.

All in all does what it's meant to, and does it well, I guess. Not much to add, not much I know about routers or modems.
review image review image review image
3131 comments| 496 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2013
I purchased this just a new modem with the router as a backup for my parents. The modem worked straight out of the box after a call to Time Warner to update the MAC on file. When testing the internal router, I discovered that TW disables the wireless and wants another $10 a month to enable it on my modem. Also, bought this modem to not have to the the BS $5 a month to TW for an equipment rental fee.

Putting the modem into bridge mode is easy enough by disabling NAPT, rebooting the modem, and now my external router was performing its duties.

The wired router function worked fine for what I need it to do.

Overall, this is a great product. In order to get full functionality from it actually call your ISP and ask them if they will disable any of the features before buying. Nowhere on any of TWs compatability lists did it say anything about the wireless being an extra charge.

I would buy again, the speeds definitely increased to an average 20Mbps over the 5mBps I was getting on a DOCIS 2 modem.
on October 6, 2012
I have been using the Motorola SB6580 for well over a month. I bought it to replace a Motorola SBG900, which was functioning well but needed to upgrade. I prefer the modem/wireless combo offer over separate modem, access point and wireless router simply because this is a more efficient arrangement. I hope the quality of the SB6580 is superior to SBG900 (the first SBG900 I bought died after 3 months and was under warranty, but I had to pay for two way shipping; the second after a year and past warranty and was cheaper to junk it; third Surfboard is fine after over 2 years). The SB6580 has performed well thus far. The speed and range of this DOCSIS 3.0 is far superior to the previous DOCSIS 2.0. I have tested my speed using the Speakeasy Speed Test and have trebled my speed vs. the SBG900 (using wireless 802.11n). If you download large files, are a gamer, Skype, or stream movies you will certainly appreciate the improved bandwidth and speed. The range is excellent. I have a large home and property and have an excellent to very good signal strength throughout the property including the yard. We have had as many as 8 computers doing various tasks with no performance issues such as lag or slow downloads. I would recommend placing the unit on a shelf that is well elevated (over six feet) rather than on a desktop or table.

The four (4) Ethernet ports available are very helpful when you want to hard-wire something to the modem. I have found that to be a marked improvement to the sole port available in the SBG900. This way you will have no need for a separate Ethernet switch.

The unit was fairly easy to set up. The problems stated by earlier reviewers regarding the "IP Flood Detection" has been eliminated. Motorola now disables that by default. Consequently, this no longer causes any issues or problems.

Disabling SSID broadcasting is a bit tricky though, not because of difficulty, but rather because Motorola, in their infinite wisdom, chose to make it more challenging by not having a "Disable SSID Broadcasting" radio button as with previous Surfboards. So, I am going to provide detailed instructions for disabling the SSID broadcasting:
1) In browser's address bar (doesn't matter which browser) type 192.168.100.1
2) Type your "User Name" and "Password"
3) You are now in the set up menu. Click on "Wireless" from the top menu choices
4) On the Left side menu choices, Click on "Primary Network"
5) On the Right side menu choices, under "Automatic Security Configuration", Click "Disabled"
6) This is the final step which disables the SSID broadcasting. In the middle section "Closed Network" set to "Enabled"
7) You're Done, Save, Exit

I would also like to point out that an old, legacy computer would not accommodate the new WPA2 encryption. This gateway does NOT support the old WEP. Therefore, any devices that you have that cannot upgrade from WEP encryption will no longer access the internet using this gateway, sorry for the bad news. How I was able to have the old computer still access the internet was to have the Guest feature security set to WPA. Also, remember your best speed will be achieved when your computer itself is using a wireless 802.11n card rather than the older, wireless 802.11a/b/g simply because the most speed you can achieve with those will be 54Mbps.

In conclusion, a solid unit out of the box. Did not need any firmware upgrade with Cox as my ISP. Firmware BTW is provided by the ISPs NOT Motorola, for some reason. When activating the unit, request they "Push" any firmware upgrade to you. They should understand what that means, if not, ask for a more experienced tech person to assist you. I do hope that the build quality on SB6580 is more reliable than that of its predecessor the SBG900. You may ask why I kept replacing the problematic SBG900 with same if it failed so frequently (No, I am not a masochist!)? Simply because the choices for all-in-one gateways are so limited and I really did not want three separate units.
Works great! Docsis 3.0 compliant cable modem that is fully supported by Comcast. Installed in less than 15 minutes and only took that long because I had to reconfigure my wireless network using a different topology. I did not use the WIFI feature so cannot attest to the robustness of the wireless feature, but the ethernet capability and modem capabilities are great. My bandwidth improved by more than 30% moving from an older Docsis 2.0 modem to this new modem. Well worth the upgrade.
on March 27, 2017
I installed this modem without incident. It works perfectly. I have had other modems, and have had problems with them being knocked off line. This one has been in for many days now and I have not had one problem. At first the seller thought the modem might not work with my ISP and contacted me to warn me of this before they shipped it. I called Time Warner and verified that it would indeed work. This is an honest company who had integrity. I would gladly do business with them again!
on November 2, 2016
I bought this in late July to enable me to telework from home once a week. It never worked properly and my IT department requested that I plug in with a wire since they couldn't identify the problem. By the time my cable provider got out to my house last week (October 24) they said the unit was bad, and now I have to rent one from them. I don't know if this device came to me bad, or went bad, but I never had acceptable service through it. Of course, I can't return it now because it's been more than 30 days.
on February 16, 2011
This is my second Motorola SBG6580. As a cable modem, it is an outstanding DOCSIS 3.0 unit. My 12MB package was consistantly giving me 20MG download speeds with Comcast (Xfinity)and 2.5 - 4MB uploads.

The problem was enitrely on the router/switch side. The first unit would give all my PC's a DHCP address and ran fine, but my HP Laserjet 4350 (a common business printer) would not pull an address and neither would any of my four ReplayTV DVR's. I worked for an hour with their very good tech support and he couldn't figure it out and suggested I return it.

I returned as defective and Amazon, in classic style, sent a replacement overnight and a prepaid shipping label for the return.

The second unit, once activated with Comcast, immediately gave my printer an IP address. I was overjoyed as I thought my problem was solved. But, alas, my DVR's would not take an address.

Once again, I called tech support, and after 30 minutes, they could not explain it, other than to say it must be something with my DVR's.

I returned the unit, ordered a Cable Modem by itself and hooked up my Belkin Wireless N Router/Switch which probly issued EVERYONE an IP address.

Bottom line: running DOCSIS 3.0 with the cable modem now, but using an external router/switch.

Bit of a bummer.
on January 27, 2013
I crossed my fingers, and regardless of the number of negative reviews, ordered this wireless cable modem for new service with Comcast. The Comcast tech unboxed, installed and registered the modem, then we waited for the firmware updates to install.

Current Comcast's software version is SBG6580-6.5.2.0-GA-06-077-NOSH. The firewall's IP Flood Detection was unchecked by default (all the firewall options were unchecked).

After 2 years of usage the error logs show no disconnects. The only entries are for wireless channel switching due to channel interference. Speedtest.net test shows 29.5 Mbps down and 5.7 Mbps up on a Comcast advertised 16 Mbps service. The wireless range seems to be the same as my old Linksys WAP54G b/g access point and reaches all of our 2,800 sq ft, 1 story home.

All wireless devices work. unlike the Actiontec PK5000 DSL modem/router/wireless device which the Motorola replaced. These devices include a Nook, a Kindle Fire, a Sony Vaio laptop, an iPad, 2 Moto X's and legacy Roku's and Roku 2's.

The router is wall-mounted in a service closet and it seems to run cooler than when it sat on a shelf.
This unit was purchased new, direct from Amazon and not from a third party dealer. All-in-all I am pleased with this purchase.

For all the users that complained about problems with the device after doing a factory reset, BACK UP THE DEVICE SETTINGS before resetting so you can restore them afterwards.
on July 1, 2014
I purchased this device to save money on renting the provided cable box. I needed to buy a new WiFi router anyways and wasn't even aware that this product (WiFi modem) was available. After doing some research I was a bit sceptical to what performance I could expect.

This device did not dissapoint. I pay for "standard" with TWC which is 15mbps. I heard tales that wireless modems are notorious for slowing connection and not providing optimum range. Well for home use at 15mb I get my full connection speed. I have the unit tucked away in an entertainment console and I get full strength WiFi upstairs on the opposite side of the house. Very pleased with the product and would recommend its use for anyone with a cable internet connection.