Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 21-30 of 1,373 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,571 reviews
on October 19, 2012
I bought a used model from Amazon for around $25 with power adapter. The modem larger than the stock RCA model from TWC, but not too big although it can only stand vertically which kinda sucks.

It'll pay for itself in a few months and tell TWC where to stick it while it does. Well, at least until FiOS is in my area and I ditch them.

NOTE: Just so everyone knows, when you activate these on a cable provider's network, if the modem isn't provisioned for their own network (usually isn't, who knows where the used models come from and all the new ones are probably just blank) it can take up to 24 hours to actually get back online. Despite what the automated phone thing says when it tells you "Your equipment is activated and will be online in an hour" - it lies. The tech I spoke to at Time Warner in NYC said they're flooded with requests to provision modems now that they're charging and up to 24 hours is normal. Took me around 20. Luckily I could use my sister's wi-fi next door. :P
on December 31, 2013
Buyer beware:
I purchased this same modem for myself a couple of years ago and have been using it on Time-Warner ever since. When I decided to get my mother off dial-up and onto TW's entry level cable modem internet, I asked the customer rep when I made the arrangements whether the SB5101 was good to purchase, she said that they were still using that model. While awaiting both the modem and the TW hook-up, I happened to be at the local TW service desk swapping out my failing DVR and asked that customer rep the same question and received the same answer.
However, when the TW guy was there today to run the additional line, he couldn't get the SB5101 authorized with the MAC address. Finally, he was told that any customer-purchased SB5101s are no longer authorized on TW and that TW has a bunch of SB5101s which have been "flashed" to be authorized for use by TW and no more will be purchased.
What I've read on some other reviews is that the older (Generation 1.0 & 2.0) modems can't be easily "throttled" to provide only the level which the customer is paying for.
SO ... check first with your ISP before purchasing this unit.
on June 26, 2014
I made the mistake of ordering this before I looked at the Time Warner Cable's latest cable modem approved list so I was afraid it wouldn't work. Hooked it up, and called TWC to activate it for me, and ta-da! It works! They didn't give me any problems about it not being on their approved list which was a big relief. But, I had to switch the old ethernet cable I was using (too short) to the one that came with the new modem and all of a sudden, no more internet connection. Had to call tech support again and this time, wasted a whole half an hour trying to resolve the issue. The tech guy was almost ready to give up when he suggested just switching the ends of the ethernet cable. That fixed it but I don't why it should because both ends are suppose to be the same. Part of the reason I didn't give it 5 stars. The other part was because I notice when I'm on Netflix, it seems to need to buffer more now, with this new cable modem than when I had the old TWC one.
on June 5, 2010
So Comcast decides to charge $5 a month for their modem that I have had for 7 years... bye, bye comcast. I had this all setup next to my old modem and connected directly to my laptop-- don't leave your switch or router in the network as it will take the tech longer as they explain to you to remove them. Just go from cable to modem to PC then call the tech and give him the MAC address that you have already copied off the bottom of the modem. Took 5 minutes. Barry-O could do it. Now my cable bill is $5 less and in 12 months I turn a $5 profit. No change in download, but upload speed doubled to 3mb/s.
on May 26, 2013
Way cheeper than using a renter from comcast, this is a good deal. This has Docsis 2.0 and they are now using 3.0 in the nicer models, eventually this will make this model unusable when they hit 4.0 or 5.0 or something. I think this is a safe bet for about 2 years. You can't beat the price. In terms of internet speed- This is not as fast as the 3.0 but, for example, I order 25MBS and was getting about 20MBS out of this guy (still plenty fast to watch netflix etc.) If you are someone who will notice a few MBS drop or if you want an insane amount of speed (say anything over 35MBS) I would say this is not for you. This has one ethernet out port on the back, and I took it and plugged it into an old apple airport I had lying around. Worked great, and now I have wifi throughout my apartment. Otherwise you can get the internet with just this device and an ethernet cable for maximum speed, but you will need some sort of splitter if you want to run more than one computer this way. Good Luck
on April 19, 2014
This order makes me question any future electronics orders on Amazon as I suspect I received counterfeit product.

It was irritating that the threads on the modem cable connection were so poor that I had to force the connection with some serious torque and a wrench (I essentially rethreaded the connection on the modem), but what really concerns me is that the power adaptor was not rated for use on the modem. The modem calls for a 750 mA adapter, and the box contained a 1 A adapter. I would never have noticed except I was having trouble with a Comcast install and so I had the technician take a look at the modem after he finished troubleshooting the outside wiring, and he saw the mismatch immediately. While it would have worked, he said it eventually would have killed my modem. I see several reviews here that mention power issues, and I wonder if some of these other problems were due to the incorrect adapter.

This has got to be my most disappointing Amazon purchase ever.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2014
I was paying Comcast $8 a month for modem rental and the rental modem would cut off intermittently for no reason. Instead of having to deal with Comcast to troubleshoot, I decided to purchase this modem; and I I glad I did! The data transfer is smooth and does not get stuck. Not only that, this modem is much smaller than one Comcast provided so I can tuck it away behind a furniture without much gap.

After installing the modem, I had to call Comcast to provide Mac address listed on the box (an at the bottom of the modem) and was told the modem is out of date and maybe slow but I have not experienced any reduction in internet speed.

However, this does not have wifi capability so a separate wifi router has to be purchased. I purchased TP-LINK TL-WR841N Wireless N300 Home Router, 300Mpbs, IP QoS, WPS Button on Amazon for $20 and all is good!
on October 11, 2014
Did my research online. Checked out twc website to make sure this docsis 2.0 cable modem was still supported in my area. It was I had a Motorola modem back when I had internet with cox communications when I lived in nw fl. Had a good experience with a Motorola modem back then and I expect I will have a good experience with this one as well. By my experience these modems are VERY reliable. My last one survived hurricane Ivan in Pensacola Florida and that's good enough for me...
on January 21, 2014
When I received this unit, I was wondering if there would be any way it could really do all of the things it is supposed to do. Despite the fact that it was a refurbished unit, it has been performing flawlessly. It arrived in a beautiful black plastic case that seemed new. The little lights go on and off at the appropriate times and it is able to do both the very high speed stuff and the crap slow speed throttle back stuff that my ISP continues to throw at us. Even though it has an odd shape when compared to other units, it seems stable. Both by dog and parrot like it a lot. The unit continued to function properly even after being pooped on by the parrot. When he said, "Pretty bird..." it was really cute. My dog can't get to it to poop on it thank God. The only way it could be improved would be if there was a small grill attached to the top about the size of a medium sausage that could be plugged into a special USB thingie when I'm hungry. That would be swell but probably not within my job description. Thanks and ciao!!
on March 4, 2017
I honestly can't rate this product. I bought it for my son who realized it was not what he wanted and never used it.