Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mountain Oven Flameless Heating Kit
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on September 28, 2012
I bought this to keep in my vehicle along with some MH meals. I decided to give it a shot, here are the results:

Process:
The plastic bag shown in the photo is part of the cooking system. You drop in a heater pack, water mixed with the provided salt tab, and your MH meal, zip it shut and leave it for 20 min.

Within 30 seconds, you can hear the heater boiling the water. The bag becomes extremely hot to the touch (states up to 200 degrees). Steam vents from the top of the bag in both directions.

Meal cooks with very little left over heater water. Fairly easy cleanup, discard the heater pack, wipe the inside of the zip bag. It leaves a "harmless" white residue on the MH bag and inside the zip bag that will need to be cleaned after each use.

Pros:
With no flame, I can see this working well in extreme cold and high elevations.
As another review stated, you can probably be creative and heat other things such as warm drinks.
No CO made in the process.

Cons:
Size: The bag is a bit large and cannot compact very well. In the bag is a mixing bottle to dissolve the salt tablet in.
Cannot subdivide: Since the zip bag is needed, you can't break the 5 heater packs into different kits.
Smell: A small issue, yes, but the steam smells horrible.
Too many parts: You must have the zip bag, heater pack, salt tab, mixing bottle (I'm sure you can improvise this if needed), and the MH meal along with enough water for the meal and heater.

Overall, this is a great heater system and is perfect for my truck. I would probably not take this backpacking, however.
on June 25, 2011
I have used these Mountain House mountain ovens for many years. In the California desert, mountains, and even at home. Do not be fooled, they get hot. Use them properly and you will have hot food and with some smarts you can make hot water for coffee or tea. They are designed for pack type foods but they are far more versatile than that.
Mountain House, are you listening? How about a water bottle that is designed for these things, warm morning washup to hot drinks in the snow.
I think it would be interesting to have a place where we could share the various ways we use these things.
 Mountain House 20657 Mountain Oven (5 Uses Per Kit)
on July 13, 2011
Works well the 20 min leave in time might be a little light. But this thing works like a charm
on July 11, 2013
This little oven heated three MRE entree pouches and one Mountain House dehydrated entree at the same time--all came out toasty hot. A great product.
on February 16, 2013
this is a great product for camping, hiking, or for when ever the moment for a hot meal is warranted. I love it I highly recommended to any out doors person, or just for WTSHTF or TEOTWAWKI happens hey you never know and it good to be prepare. Great service Thanks!!!
on July 30, 2013
I haven't used it because I don't want to waste it. However based on other reviews and how it is setup I don't think there will be any problems. I wanted an alternate way to heating a meal in the case I don't have any other way to heat a meal. This is in my emergency kit and I need it to be light and require minimal time to give me a hot meal.
on December 13, 2012
This product is great for families and a must for a 72 hour kit, a lot of people do not think about it but these are a must for them.
on October 7, 2013
These are great to heat your mountain house meals with out having to worry about a flame or gas leaks or even having to boil water in an emergency. It heats the meals pretty fast and can be safely used indoors. But it does get very hot very fast, it is easy to get burned by the steam that it releases if you are not careful with it. I highly recommend having a few kits to go with your Mountain House meals for an emergency to heat your meals if the power is out.
on May 10, 2014
I used this to heat up our Mountain House meals on my hike into the Grand Canyon. It's safe and easy to use on the trail. Perfect for the Grand Canyon because open flames are not allowed. It's nice to have a hot meal during a long 7 hour hike.
on July 5, 2015
This is definitely the best way to prepare the Mountain House Pro-pack trail dinners. The freeze-dried food is always completely reconstituted and hot using this method, and can be left in the heating bag for quite awhile. It also does not require the user to have a campfire permit, unlike the portable stoves,

See 1 answered question