Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 35 reviews
on May 11, 2017
I bought this for a friend, but I have used it several times when people close to me passed away. Start by just reading bits and pieces. Then, when you feel ready, try some of the exercises. I wrote my thoughts and memories directly in the book and now each book has become a keepsake memorial for the person I lost. Even if your not Jewish, this workbook will speak to you and help you work through your grief.
on June 30, 2014
In this country we tend to think people should get over the loss of a loved one quickly, but burying your grief only intensifies it. This book gives guidance to the mourner and exercises to help you walk through grief and lets the mourning take its proper length of time. No short cuts.
on November 16, 2013
I don't usually purchase guided activity books but in this case, the chapters which introduce the writing activities are sensitive
and very insightful. The
workbook aspect was actually very helpful and led to some deep thoughts on my part. (You don't have to write your response
down because even discussion or silent thought of the issues raised will be worthwhile.) I love this book because it combines
the spiritual/traditional and emotional/psychological aspects of mourning. I don't think that you have to be Jewish to appreciate this book because loss and grief are universal and we will each walk the mourner's path at some time in our lives.
on September 2, 2016
A very helpful book for a grieving 90 year old male who appreciated the support the book provided him with as well as the insight of the gifted author, both social worker and Rabbi.
on August 26, 2001
Get this book. Can be: read out-of-order; in small chunks; worked through mentally or on paper; put down for a few days/weeks while you're processing your grief; appreciated by Jewish folk as well as by the non-Jewish person, by the spiritual as well as those who are not so inclined. In the most difficult of situations, Mourning and Mitzvah offers comfort for the bereaved. The author speaks from her own experience: her sister died in an accident only months after their mother's suicide. Mourning and Mitzvah helped me to cope after the deaths of my father- and mother-in-law (hers was a suicide; both died the same day). I've given copies as gifts to others in my Survivors of Suicide group, to a woman whose brother-in-law murdered her sister by running the sister down with his car, and to a family whose young son was killed in a freak accident while on vacation. Almost all have let me know what a help this book has been. Since I give away my personal copies, I now order two at a time. Please get this book for yourself and/or for your loved ones who are grieving; keep extras on hand. Mourning and Mitzvah will be appreciated much more than any covered dish you could get or give.
on April 4, 2014
This book is very wonderful and a good safe place to reference when needed. Grief is on-going, we are always dealing with loss and this book delivers a safe way to deal with grief. I am so proud to be Jewish and so proud that my people strive to educate and learn how to make the world a better place, but realistically...because in order to make a difference you need to want to heal yourself, and it is not something you can do all at once or maybe in a lifetime. Healing is an on-going process and we always make some progress and some regression. So yes, I recommend this book and hope you find your way through loss as I am. Thank you for a wonderful book Anne Brener.
on February 10, 2012
This book combines psychology with religion in a wonderful way. Its author was a licensed clinical social worker who has now become a rabbi as well. She helps us deal with all the aspects of death, helping us deal with unresolved issues that we may have had with the person who died and also making religious customs understandable and meaningful. The book covers everything - immediate aftermath of death, a month later, and years later. It really helps you go through a loss in a healthy way. I've suggested it to others coping with loss and been thanked profusely, and repeatedly.
on March 24, 2013
This is a grief workbook. When grief from a lost one is so overwhelming that it is hard to go on and function, or if the grief has not been resolved and keeps coming back in uncontrollable ways this is the book to get through it and grow. The book that will help you be aware, alive, and make the changes in your life that honor the memory of the loved one and bring you to a new discovery of who you are and what is really important and wonderful about life and growth.
on June 27, 2015
My Rabbi recommended this book to me when my brother died. He was right that it is helpful for working through the pain of such a loss. I am sorry if you are in a position to consider this book, but it does bring some comfort.
on August 26, 2001