Truck Season Automotive HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

A Moveable Feast
Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 14, 2018
One star for this gem of English literature? Yes, if you are considering the paperback edition with the orange-ish cover with a photo of a walkway by the Seine, BEWARE. "All of the s adnes s of the city came s uddenly with the firs t cold rains of winter . . . . " Even my auto-correct tries to fix this! Hemingway wrote a cozy, wonderful piece for those curious for from what "Midnight in Paris" hails, an insider's flawlessly written account of those heady years when everyone who was anyone was living in Paris. But in this miserably typefaced edition, there is a space after every single "s" in the entire book. There is no publication page (with the date, location of publication, etc). It is not appended with Hemingway's additional musings, as is the hardcover. I purchased this as a gift, thinking a paperback would suffice. Who can read anything published this way? Do NOT purchase it. Amazon, FIX THIS.
3 people found this helpful
on March 23, 2018
This rating is not for Hemingway, but for the physical book itself. I do not recommend buying this version. I thought it was a great deal ($5) and believed I'd be getting a quality book because it was brand new and sold directly from Amazon (rather than some unknown, third-party seller), but I ended up getting what seems like an amateur, self-published "book". There is no title page, no page numbers, there is a space after every single letter "S" in the entire book (so, you can imagine how many strange spaces there are on every single page, making it difficult to read coherently) and so on. I ended up buying another copy of A Moveable Feast (The Restored Edition) and am much happier with that version. A "real" book. I am not sure what happened with the poor construction of this edition, but I was disappointed and felt duped.
on December 5, 2016
I love this book. I am not sure why I ddin't read it a long time ago, but I am glad that I finally got around to it. This book is like a mini-vacation, roaming around Paris in the 20's with Earnest Hemingway and all of his starving artist friends. It is a natural companion to "The Paris Wife", which was very popular a few years back. I wish I had read this book before we visited Paris last summer. As far as I can tell, a lot of Paris is unchanged, and we stayed on the left bank where we followed in many of Hemingway's footsteps. I also enjoyed reading "The Lodger," a book which Gertrude Stein recommends to Hemingway when they discuss the best books that they have been reading. It was a lot of fun, feeling like a member of the Hemingway and Gertrude Stein book club, and extended my adventure.
One person found this helpful
on January 17, 2017
Paris in the 1920s was a magical time for Hemingway. He and his first wife Hadley lived very frugally, but his lack of cash was more than compensated for by the richness of the people who moved through his life: Sylvia Beach, Gertrude Stein, F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife Zelda, were just some of the people Hemingway interacted with.

This classic made Paris seem the romantic ideal for starving artists. It is a nostalgic look back at a time gone forever, but is not sentimental. A lovely look at at lovely time in an artist's live.
on May 4, 2018
This is a great book, but this edition is awful. It has random spaces in the midst of the words, awkward paragraphing, and missing words. It is exceptionally difficult to read the text due to the inexcusable printing errors.
It is unfortunate that the printing is so ooor, for this is BY FAR Hemingway's best story.
on August 7, 2014
The original A Moveable Feast, among Ernest Hemingway's most beloved works, was originally published posthumously in 1964. The Memoir is of the author's life in Paris as a struggling writer, newlywed and young father between 1920 and 1926.

A Moveable Feast The Restored Edition with a forward by Hemingway's only living son Patrick Hemingway and edited by his grandson Sean Hemingway presents the original A Moveable Feast manuscript exactly as Hemingway intended. A major difference is the exclusion from The Restored Edition of the influence that Hemingway's fourth wife Mary had upon the original publication in 1964.

Of great significance from this reading is Hemingway's agony over his leaving Hadley for Pauline.

" Any blame in that was mine to take and posses and understand. The only one, Hadley, who had no possible blame, ever, came well out of it finally and married a much finer man than I ever was or could hope to be and is happy and deserves it and that was one good and lasting thing that came from that year."

Whether or not you have read the original I commend to you A Moveable Feast The Restored Edition. It it wonderful to be in Paris with Ernest and Hadley, to be young, carefree, tasting the food, wine and life itself.

" Lets walk down the rue d Seine and look in all the galleries and in the windows of the shops. We can stop at a new cafe where we don't know anyone and nobody knows us and have a drink. We can have two drinks. We'll come home and eat here and have a lovely meal and drink and afterwards we'll read and go to bed and make love."

Writing, wonderful writing, every word framing a picture, painting or memory. There is never enough Hemingway. The Restored Edition is worth the time. Do it again, or for the first time!
3 people found this helpful
on April 18, 2014
Really, I think Mary Hemingway did the better job as editor. The original "A Moveable Feast" is still the best thing that Hemingway ever wrote, and this version falls short in several respects as a work of art. It's choppy, things are out of order, there's repetition, and there's no narrative arc--it peters out.

Still, it's wonderful to have something new from Hemingway, and what's new here is the chance to see what he in his wisdom (or possibly Mary in her wisdom) left out. And because my daughter was ski-mountaineering in Alaska, I was fascinated by how many times, in how many variations, he returns to the Alberg and rewrites the training experience of that winter with Hadley. It's a rare glimpse into how a writer works, honing his thoughts, rather than just settling for the final version.

My advice would be to get a used copy of the original hardcover to set beside this book in your library. That's what my wife and I have done. (Somebody long ago absconded with our 1970s original.)
4 people found this helpful
on October 24, 2016
Hemingway makes himself look very good in this memoir, compared to his contemporaries in Paris: Gertrude Stein, Ford Maddox Ford, Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald. He portrays Ezra Pound as a first class gentleman and very good friend. Hemingway's fourth wife, Mary, edited the book posthumously, and deleted the last chapter,an apology to Hadley Richardson, his first wife, who lived with him during those early years in Paris. Of course, there is too much drinking and good eating and wonderful descriptions of Paris.
4 people found this helpful
on April 11, 2018
Don't order this edition of A Moveable Feast. It is very difficult to read. Spacing of words and sentences is full of gaps. There are no chapters or even clear sections. Whoever edited this version did a very poor job. The writing may be ok, but it is difficult to even get the meaning when the typesetting is so atrocious. Don't buy it.
on March 2, 2016
In his memoir of Paris in the 1920s, A Moveable Feast, Ernest Hemingway takes us on a nostalgic stroll through the city at a time when Hemingway was, as he puts it, “very poor and very happy.” Hemingway looks back fondly on his relationship with his first wife, Hadley, and introduces us to literary figures such as F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ford Maddox Ford, Ezra Pound and Gertrude Stein.

Hemingway lovingly describes walking through the city, time spent browsing book shops and his sitting at cafes to write. Anyone who has a romantic notion of Paris will enjoy this book, as I did.