Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 294 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 636 reviews
on July 24, 2015
I'm not going to rehash what a great album this is. Everyone's noted this is a classic. You can buy earlier versions for a fairly cheap price. The purpose is to answer whether it's worth ponying up $25 for the 2015 remaster vinyl edition.

First, the actual album itself comes plastic wrapped with a perforated clear envelope. This tore off nice and clean. I pulled the record sleeve out along with a separate liner and lyric sheet. It was a delight to pull the record out of its anti-static sleeve. You can actual feel how physically dense the record is, all 200 grams of it (take that, Apple!). Placing the needle on side 1, I was a bit surprised how much lead time is given before that iconic start of Tom Sawyer starts. But once it starts, it feels like a grand building that had sandblasting and the subtle architecture really glows. Also glad to hear the quality holds up all the way to the last revolution (some records get worse as the grooves get tighter and the sound gets thin).

For comparison, I did an A/B test with the last US commercial release of Moving Pictures on CD. which I believe was 1997. The vinyl is certainly brighter and more balanced. Getty's bass as well as Neil's drums sound less muddy on the 2015 record. The snares and toms really come through as well as the acoustic guitars. There are times that the drums feel like you're surrounded by them but not overwhelmed. Vocally, the two recordings sound about the same. I think the showcase where it all comes together is The Camera Eye. From the traffic sounds introducing the synths, the drums, and then everything else fills the room and swirls around. It's quite a moment in music when that happens.

With the album, you also get a code for a download of the remaster which worked without any problems. Again, I compared the vinyl with the CD but this time a burned version of the 320 kbs downloaded 2015 version. This time, the differences were much harder to detect. To be honest, with the only exception of having to adjust the volume between my CD player with the stronger output signal over my turntable, I couldn't find anything noticeably different from the two sources. Both sounded excellent and less muddy from the the prior CD master.

So back to the original question of should you get this version. If you've never bought this album, of course you should. If you have a copy and wonder if you should replace it, I guess it depends. Personally I don't think the difference between the 1997 and 2015 are so enormous that you'll find it life changing from the first time you heard it. For serious music people, I think the upgrade to the 2015 version will be enough to replace your older versions.

PS: I was thinking there might be a cool hologram on the vinyl as featured on the 2112 album, no such luck. You'll just to buy it for the music.
on August 11, 2015
Of all of the Rush vinyl Remasters I own...this one sounds the best!
Don't get me wrong the others sound fantastic; but Moving Pictures has the best dynamics and clarity of the three that remasters in my opinion. (Fly By Night and 2112 are the other two I own)
And everyone’s ears, set-up, etc. are not the same...so you may feel differently.
If I had to guess I'd say that the differences between are the reason, but that’s just a guess.
Fly By Night has a lackluster sound...more of a flat sound where nothing really jumps out at you as far as sonics.
2112 is a big step forward for the recording quality of the record. It has a lot of detail and instruments are easy to hear on this LP...you can tell that there mastering technique had really improved by the time they recorded this album.
When you hear Moving Pictures you can tell that they had really became masters in the studio. You can hear every subtle note, bell, and bass note; along with every other instrument used on this recording.
There are a lot of the songs on this album that are among my favorites. But I am a Rush fan so it's really hard for me to be objective.
If you like Rush, and you own turntable, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of this LP.
A lot of LP's today have a lot of debris left over from the pressing and packing process that require a few sweeps with the cleaning brush.
I was shocked to see that Moving Pictures was clean as whistle. I didn't see any kind of debris at all on this LP...so hats off to the processing plant for paying so much attention to detail. I wish other pressing plants would do the same.
on March 2, 2017
One of my favourite Rush album. No need to talk about music, Rush fans knows this album very well. I would like to share my comments for the Vinyl Reissue.
Excellent product, high quality 200gr, DMM pressing. Vinyl is so quiet, almost no surface noise. Excellent remaster, crystal clear. I strongly recommend to all Rush fans. Enjoy it.
on March 12, 2017
I'm not going to debate which is better; this or 2112 - so I'll say "buy both!". but this is absolutely one of RUSH's best albums and definitely in my top 25 "best rock album's ever!".
on May 30, 2016
This DVD-Audio disc is world class. My avr processed it through at 96/24 multi-channel, and I found it superb. If you listen to music on an I-phone with earbuds and think that rocking out is hooking that up to a speaker the size of a Pringles can, don't bother, you will not notice a difference. I am happier with this version than I was the first time I heard it (many years ago, on vinyl, on a Marantz 120 watt/channel, and chemically enhanced hearing). It is really good and I don't get why more of this type of good music is not available in multi-channel surround. If your system is capable of using it's full potential, it is well worth having.
on February 16, 2016
Really high quality vinyl reissue, quiet vinyl. crisp percussion and Geddy's bass is the best ever. If only all new vinyl was made with this level of care.
on March 25, 2017
Ok, I like their musical ability, not a fan of the lyrics in most of their songs....what ever.
on February 12, 2017
GIFT FOR GRANDSON . HE'S VERY PLEASED
on March 30, 2017
Perfect! Essential! A, MUST have!
on March 23, 2017
Extremely well mastered vinyl!