Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 27, 2009
Brief:
Pros,
- DLNA support watching my divx movies, hulu, mp3s, jpgs, from my tversity box was super easy. The DLNA menu is much faster than the Xbox360 or Dlink dsm-520.

- Menu is much easier to read than the motorola or tivohd, all three used different methods for moving around. all were just as intuitive.

- 2 hour live buffer is really nice... tivo is 30min...

- compatable with 4TB eSata drive from lacie. Tivo maxes out at 2TB total storage regardles of how it is installed.

- Ticker is kind of like a widget, nice. also there is a webpage display but it is currently really slow... could easily be a bug though. (you can view web pages from the moxi)

- worked right away after upgrading channel lineup. (the tivo required me to manually add the new premium channels)

- Just a response to other reviews as of july 10th when i recieved this box I have had no crashing, and my recorded content is flawless. Also the remote is indeed backlit.

Cons:
- Tivo has a much better search, smarter more intuitive.
- box to box streaming and box to pc streaming need to be fixed.
- moxi mate needs to be released.
- no discount for second/third box.
- streaming HD from netflix/unbox/blockbuster

All of the cons listed are being addressed by moxi and they expect all of them to be released this year... (with the exception of dlna 2.0 streaming to a pc client.)

I purchased the moxi and tivo HDXL the same day within 4 days I had both units at home waiting for cable cards. Fios tech came out only had one card and installed it in the tivo so I used the tivo for 4 days before another tech could come out and set up the moxi. he had not seen a moxi and after showing him the cablecard pairing screen he was able to get the box running in 20 minutes. both tivo and moxi were effertless in there set up on fios.

After using them side by side for 3 weeks I decided to send back the tivo for most of the reasons listed above but also my tivo crashed on me twice and stayed locked up not recording anything. I would really like to see the search and schedule features brought up to tivo level, and of course the box2box and live tv streaming would be nice. one note on box to box... some tivo content can not be transfered if there are 5c flags due to the transfer method of tivo not being encrypted. Moxi uses a dlna 2.0 copy method so that no transfers will be blocked.

I would highly recomend this product to anyone looking for a DVR and want more open standards. Especially if you are already used to streaming from dlna product like tversity, playon or twonky. Also being able to have 4.5TB of recordings

UPDATE: Moxi summer software update added support for native mkv and avi files. This is great for streaming from a pc no more need to transcode.
Also moxi to moxi and moxi to mate streaming is working great. and lastly digeo has test esata drives up to 8 TB from lacie and verified they work with the moxi (those drives are currently close to $2000 though...
on February 8, 2010
I bought my Moxi on April 2009 and I completely love it. Yes I paid the original sticker price, but that is the price you pay for being an early adaptor. I was online purchasing a Moxi Mate, and I considered summarizing a fair and honest assessment.
Here is a summary of my experience.

Pros:
-Interface is so cool and so user friendly.
-Design is fantastic and blends in with the rest of my equipment (Unlike the hideous stock units that your cable company provides you)

Experience (Also I am addressing some complaints stated by other reviewers)

-Set up problems with Cable cards: Comcast had to try 13 different cards to get a response in my Moxi, and after three weeks and a call to corporate, it worked. This Comcast's problem completely.
-Not being recognized by Network (this one drove me nuts). This was a router setting.
-Responsiveness of the remote (It was not actually the remote's but, the HD interface that generated a slow response)
-Slowness of the interface (Resolved with January 2010 software upgrade)
-Time drifting (Lasted two months and fixed 6 months ago)
-I had to buy an analog adaptor $25 to watch local channels
-Reboot at 3am. I believe is part of software maintenance and happens with most DVRs

Also, problems with pixelations or other hardware issues (This is a basic computer, with processor, memory and hard drive for crying out loud, you cannot have stuck in a cabinet with poor ventilation and then complain about performance)

Would I recommend this product? ABSOLUTELY. Even when many challenges I experienced were frustrating and time consuming, most were not directly caused by Moxi. Why rent one of these when you have such a great product.a
I am currently considering a Moxi mate, which will allow to watch live HD TV.
on May 8, 2010
Moxi customer service is EXCELLENT. I have called a few times over the past weekends with several questions about different things, and was never on hold, always got a representative (here in the US) who was very helpful, friendly, and above all knowledgeable.
Moxi FAQ: [...]

I rented a Moxi from Time Warner (SoCal) for a few years (18.99 mo. no more!), last month they phased out the rental Moxi in favor of all Motorola products. They zapped my box without notice, and I had no choice but to return it. I was given the Motorola which was a huge disappointment after having the multi interactive, creative, and easy to navigate menu and series programming choices. I found the grid menu was difficult to navigate, with minimal recording options.
The Moxi menu has so many features for optimum program searching, recording options, & huge storage capacity. The remote also has "commercial skip" when watching recorded programs. I can also schedule to record programs away from home via the Moxi website!

Time Warner were not very helpful when I got my Moxi, or forthcoming with information. For instance they did not tell me that you should set up your Moxi before the tech comes, and download the software prior to tech arrival (or they will cancel the appt.). This install and download took me 15 minutes on DSL (if you have a slow internet connection this could take you much longer). TW has to provide the cable card (3.95 mo. fee), and the tech has to come out to install this piece. I am a full HD digital cable client (Premier channels, multi tiers, BBC America, Sundance, Ovation, etc.). I have had no disruptions or problems, and get all my free HD channels.

I have internet cable and purchased the Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG901 DOCSIS 2.0 Wireless Cable Modem (Amazon) because the Moxi has to be continuously linked via Ethernet to download your advanced programming, and I need wifi to use my laptop and watch my Netflix on Roku.

I recommend contacting your cable and go to Moxi FAQ: [...]
- ask if they support the "Retail" Moxi, and if your provider uses "Switch Digital Video", ask the tech to come with a "tuning adapter"
- set up your Moxi, install and download the software before cable tech arrives
on April 18, 2010
The Moxi DVR is absolutely the best DVR solution on the market today. It makes absolutely no sense to rent a DVR from the cable company at $17/m when you could own one yourself outright for $500. (Yes, it takes 29.4 months to break even on that investment, but you plan on watching tv for more than 30 months, right?). Oh, and by the way, it's lot BETTER than a Motorola DVR from the cable company. This thing was an absolute breeze to set up and was fully compatible with Verzion Fios and the CableCard given to me. Even before I recieved my cablecard, I was able to run the set up and get the free channels in HD (Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc) without any issue.

Rarely is there a product that has it all. When compared to the other DVR options out there (TiVo and a rented Motorola), the Moxi is:

-Cheaper in the long run (TiVo premier is $900 with lifetime service fee vs $500 with Moxi and no service fees)
-Better capacity than the rented Motorola (TiVo stock has more capacity, however, but Moxi is expandable to 6.5x the capacity of TiVo)
-Better interface (not many would argue that between Moxi and the cable boxes...Moxi vs TiVo interface is pretty close)

Elephant in the room is that Moxi doesn't have a built in or even a viable solution for wireless connectivity. Things like point to point bridges are very slow and unreliable. Moxi out of the box absolutely should have built in wireless or at least drivers to connect a wireless USB adapter without hassle. While it isn't a problem for me since I've wired my house entirely with Ethernet cable in every room, not having a wireless connectivity solution for Moxi is straight up inexcusable. This in of itself gives Moxi a tremendous disadvantage over TiVo. Connectivity should have been a higher priority, and having no native wireless solution will keep Moxi at a continued disadvantage in the market. The only people who can really enjoy and get the best out of moxi are those who have wired connections, which isn't practical for most. Had I not recently bought a new house and had Ethernet wired up in each room, I would have had to go with TiVo simply for wireless connectivity.

...but yea, once you get connected, it's fantastic. No lag, awesome interface, great expandability, and it's very unique and impresses the guests...they are a little surprised when they see the beautiful interface on my tv, alongside the physical look of the box itself. You get a lot of "why does your TV look like that...?" kind of looks of jealousy and amazement when comparing it to their cable boxes. Feels even better knowing it works better and COSTS LESS in the long run.

By the way, I would AVOID the Moxi Mates for now...they are very slow and sluggish even on a wired network. If you need a DVR for extra room, just buy another DVR instead of the cheap Mates. The mates are unusable, but the DVR units themselves are excellent.

Update:
The other piece of helpful info I wanted to share is that the Moxi works beautifully with my HDMI receiver with an HDMI connection. Before I ordered it, I asked customer service if it would be an issue and I got the "it depends" answer. For what it's worth, the Moxi DVR DOES work with my Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver and imagine it should work with any solid receiver. To be safe, get a receiver that has upconversion from component to HDMI to avoid any issues, in case the Moxi's HDMI interface doesn't switch properly with the receiver. If you DO have an issue connecting HDMI from Moxi to receiver you can connect the Moxi to the receiver via component, and have the receiver upconvert to HDMI onto your display...but only IF you get a receiver capable of doing so.
77 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2009
I decided to take the plunge and buy this DVR- who can pass up the 30 day money back guarantee? I have used Tivo in the past, but their service is over-rated! Setup was pretty simple- just get a multi-stream cable card from your cable provider (in my case, Wide Open West), plug it in, read the CSR the HostID number and presto, it's provisioned with your account. After I activated my moxi online, I simply logged in and scheduled my shows using their website and everything is working like a charm.

The menu navigation took a few minutes for me to get used to- but it's actually fairly simple and I like it better than the "grid/guide" menu system. It streams divx movies and Mp3's directly from my PC- all without fuss.

A few things I think would benefit with a software update:
Ability to change default recording options
- i.e. first run vs re-runs, how long to keep the shows.. each of these have to be setup manually while you setup the scheduling.

Also, if you could download different menu themes/color schemes rather than the out of the box blue color (which is very pretty- but color options would make a world of difference).

Lastly... a front panel CLOCK! I didn't realize how much I looked at my old cable box just to see the time..

Overall, the actual functionality and moxi service is by far the best I've ever seen and well deserving of 5 stars!

Give it a try- you won't be disappointed!
on February 10, 2010
UPDATE 2/26/2010
After returning the 2-Tuner Moxi, I have had the 3-tuner Moxi with Mate for 2 weeks now and it has been a much better experience with the software update to 6.1. Knowing what to expect with cable card installations and having the direct number to TWC national made my cable card install very smooth this time around.

The analog tuner and SDV do work in tandem. It has gone out on my twice so far, (I lose analog channels) but there is a procedure provided by Moxi to get back the analog channels. I think it does go out due to updates to the SDV from TWC.

Playon also had an update. Not sure if it is the 3-tuner Moxi or the playon update, but my Netflix works without the previous workaround I used with the 2-tuner model.

The mate now provides me digital cable and all of the HD channels to the bedroom and allows me to stream my music and Netflix from my computer.

I am very pleased with the Moxi & Mate and recommend it.

The only open issue is the loss of the third tuner while using the Cisco STA1520 SDV. I hope Moxi is working with TWC / Cisco to correct this in the near future.

PREVIOUS REVIEW FROM 2/10/2010
I loved the product, but I had to return it last week.

My return period was close to ending with key issues up in the air just prior to the last software update. I had the Moxi for almost 2 months and encountered every issue you could imagine. I only had it for about 3 days with the 6.1 software update, but I had to start the return process 2 weeks prior. Most of the problems were Time Warner Cable related, but for those expecting a plug and play setup, you are at the mercy to your local cable provider.

1) Cable Card Issues - This would impact Moxi or Tivo - The initial setup was a nightmare and required several visits and multiple cable cards from TWC techs that have no idea what a Moxi or cable card is.
2) Most cable companies use switched digital video to save bandwidth. Once again this issue is not just for Moxi. Tivo users also feel the pain of SDV's. You can search the Internet to understand the details, but those who have cable cards also need a Tuning Adapter to pick up the SDV channels. It is free of charge, but very unreliable and reboots random times.
3) Moxi does not deliver analog channels. I knew this before buying, but I did not care because my channel lineup has digital equivalents for every analog channel. At least I thought. There is confusion in the way TWC has some of the digital equivalents coded in my region, so the Moxi ignored some of my key digital equivalents. (Moxi plans on fixing this at software version 6.2)
4) To fix the problem above, I added an analog dongle adapter to pick up the analog channels and complete my lineup. An added benefit is this dongle acts as a third tuner. Unfortunately adding this piece of equipment leads to issue 5.
5) SDV and analog dongle do not work in tandem. This was supposed to corrected at software update 6.1, but I only had 3 days to test it before UPS showed up at my door for the return. It worked the first day, but then stopped. It took me about 45 minutes to set it back up again by shutting down SDV, analog dongle and Moxi in a precise order.

I consider myself technically savvy, so I can work through all of the challenges above, but I could never recommend this product to someone who wants to plug in play because it relies on outside factors beyond Moxi's control. My parents would kill me if I had them buy this product. Don't even ask for my wife to comment on the Moxi.

That being said I cannot pay TWC any more money for their DVR. I ordered the 3-Tuner moxi and mate and expect it soon. I plan on working through the SDV and analog dongle issue with Moxi and look forward to streaming live tv to the bedroom with the mate.

As others have said the UI takes some time to use to, but it grew on me and after 2 months I got the hang of it. The Internet features and scheduling from computer were great. Netflix through PLAYON also had issues with workarounds, but it does NOT look as good as using the PS3 with Netflix.

I understand how TWC would see Moxi as a competitor in taking away cable box dvr rental fees, but TWC should embrace Moxi and help anyway they can. Once you select Moxi, you are locked into cable and cannot go the satellite route. Based on TWC's track record, they should be thrilled to keep customers from going to satellite.

Yes I slammed TWC, but their National Cable Card Help desk was helpful and if you have problems with your local techs, ask for the national number.

I can't say enough about the Moxi support. They were very responsive and helpful and I would have never lasted as long as I did or be purchasing the 3-tunner Moxi and mate if it was not for the Moxi support.

If you have some technical background, patience and can deal with some trouble shooting and integrating cable boxes, computers, dongles, sdv's adapters, wiring, cable cards etc, take a chance on the Moxi. It does have a payback period of ~3 years.
44 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2011
Received the product very quickly, as advertised. Product seems to be working OK. My cable company is bauking as providing the cable card, but meanwhile I am using the built-ine tuner while I fight this out with Comcast. Not inexpensive, but then again the savings of monthly fees (with TIVO) will eventually pay for the cost of this unit.
on March 7, 2010
Purchased the Moxi three months ago to replace our VCR:
- Very good value--many features and substantial capacity, at a cost of
only $100 more than that of just a TiVo lifetime subscription
- No subscription or rental fees
- First-rate customer support
- Easy to use
- Reliable
- Delivers clean 720p HD video through 30' HDMI cable

Room for improvement:
- Initial shakedown problems
- Netflix requires PlayOn software running on a PC
- Occasional "channel not available" errors when scheduling programs
from Moxi website
- Cannot change series recording options from Moxi website
- Tuning and menu navigation controls balky (though playback controls
respond instantly)
- Always on--no low-power standby mode
- PlayOn software for PC is clunky, e.g. cannot fast forward/rewind videos

The first Moxi I received was functional, but made a soft, high-pitched whining noise that I found too annoying for our bedroom. Moxi support said this was probably normal, but that they'd monitor the box for a few days to confirm. Two days later I received an email saying that there was a disk problem, and included an RMA number for returning the unit. The replacement unit did not make the whining noise.

A second problem was loss of the HDMI output signal from the box every few days, requiring reboot. Moxi support provided a workaround to use until the problem was corrected by the automatic software update applied in late January.

I also contacted Moxi support by phone or email regarding several other issues that were either minor or not directly caused by Moxi. In every case, the first person who responded was understandable and knowledgeable.
on February 13, 2015
Lasted about 1 year, then Moxie wanted $150.00 to repair it! I trashed it and bought a Tivo.
on October 29, 2009
My first DVR was a home-built MythTV linux solution, which is still my favorite DVR software in terms of visual quality, ease of use, and feature set. Unfortunately, as an open source solution, it is not allowed by CableLabs to use CableCard(tm) access devices -- and so my list of free digital channels slowly decreased as Comcast encrypted more channels and moved their QAM channel assignments. These encrypted channels constituted the majority of my recording interests, so I was finally forced to consider a commercial solution.

=====
UPDATE: The Moxi price has been reduced since this review was written. Please see the review comments for additional discussion.
=====

PRE-PURCHASE DECISIONS
I did a thorough pre-evaluation of this Moxi device and the HD TiVo solutions (TiVo HD,TiVo HD XL). The Moxi uses newer, faster hardware (the "guts" are better) and the unit has a sleek, slim exterior appearance that appeals to me more than the TiVo. The Moxi is made by Digeo (now ARRIS) who has been making cable boxes for quite a while, but they're a newcomer into the retail DVR market. TiVo has a long history and large, satisfied customer base -- which says a lot, but I tend to root for the underdog.

The Moxi falls in-between the two TiVo units in terms of built-in hard drive capacity, but it's a very reasonable 500GB (versus 160 and 1000 [1TB] for the TiVo boxes, repectively) and you can easily add up to another 2TB (2000GB) by connecting almost any external eSATA storage drive. (TiVo expandibility is limited to 1TB and, currently, only from certain manufacturers.) Best yet, if that external drive fails, you only lose the content on that drive; with the TiVo you lose the content of both drives if the external drive fails. The Moxi is almost twice as expensive as the highest-end TiVo, but its lack of subscription fee actually makes it cost less than a similarly equipped TiVo HD XL with a "lifetime" subscription. As I plan to keep my DVR for longer than 2.5 years (the 'break-even' point for the TiVo lifetime subscription cost) I made sure to account for any subscription costs in my cost/benefit analysis.

TiVo has the TiVo-to-Go software that lets you download most content to your PC and burn it to DVD. This was a feature I strongly appreciated from MythTV (though I only rarely needed the feature). The Moxi does NOT currently allow this at all. However, Moxi has introduced their companion Moxi Mate which, for the price of another DVR, allows you to view any of the main Moxi content from another room using only your high-speed home network. This uses an encrypted streaming technology to allow *any* program to show on the Moxi Mate, which is better than TiVo's solution: buy another TiVo (with yet another subscription!) and wait for shows to *copy* from one box to another -- and then, not all shows are allowed to be copied. I only have one HDTV at the moment, but if I added a second I'd much prefer to stream from the same box. Setting up a completely separate, independent box has no appeal to me (but it may to you, if you have a lot of TV lovers in your house).

TiVo offers Amazon Video on Demand, Streaming Netflix, Blockbuster On Demand, and YouTube.
Moxi offers Hulu and many other online services through additional software that runs on a home PC.
Moxi has better support for local network media servers.

After considering all the pros and cons, I decided to give the underdog a chance... I bought the Moxi.

USING THE MOXI
The Moxi is extremely painless to set up. Hook up the box, create a (free) online account, register the box, and after 30 minutes of automatic system updates and setup questions, you're ready to go. This is easily on-par with TiVo. The user interface is absolutely beautiful. They spent a long time polishing their appearance, and it just sparkles. Using it, however, is unlike any other DVR or cable box you've ever seen. In some ways that's good, in other ways it can get annoying. It's really going to depend on you. I think it was more flexible than TiVo's, but it's not as intuitive. Even so, it's not too hard to learn... give yourself a week or two.

MOXI PROBLEMS
Overall, I was happy with my Moxi. However, there were two major problems in my case:

1. Your cable company is required by the FCC to send any EAS (Emergency Alert System) messages it receives (such as severe weather alerts); this includes government-mandated WEEKLY tests. In my case, the Comcast headend would send hundreds of copies of the SAME message (perhaps one per channel). The Moxi scrolls the message across the top of the screen and, when there are 100s of them, this takes HOURS... I saw over 9 hours of the same message. Now, TiVo lets you clear EAS messages with one press of the remote. Not the Moxi. Technical support said Comcast wasn't supposed to send hundreds of copies of the same message. Maybe that's only a problem in my region and you won't have this issue. I opened an issue ticket with their engineering department, but there was no resolution after over three weeks. So at least once a week, my only option was to RESET the Moxi box -- and you have to wait for all recordings to stop unless you don't care if they're interrupted.

2. Also about once every three or four days, unrelated to the EAS messages, the Moxi would lose sync with my television. I used HDMI (the preferred method) for sending digital video and audio to the TV, but when sync was lost the television would show a black screen with no sound. I imagine that component connections (analog) would not have this problem (unlike HDMI, analog does not "handshake" between TV and DVR) but that's less than optimal. Moxi and my TV both support HDMI and I want to use it. My only choice, again, was to reset the box to get it to re-establish video and audio with the TV. (To be fair, it could be a quirk between the Moxi and my particular TV... such is life in the digital age.)

IN THE END...
I filed a support ticket for the second issue as well, but by this time I was nearing the end of Amazon's 30-day return window and I decided to RETURN the Moxi. I really felt bad about it, but I was not about to pay hundreds of dollars for the "privilege" of resetting the unit once or twice a week to solve my specific problems. Upon hearing this, Digeo decided to "close the ticket" for issue #2 -- meaning they're not even going to look into this until someone else reports it.

MY COMPROMISE...
I switched to TiVo, originally my 2nd choice. The TiVo HD XL is *overpriced* and the Tivo HD (non-XL) is affordable but has a hard drive so small it's almost unusable. Now if you're willing to void TiVo's warranty (90 days parts/labor, 1 year parts) you can buy the cheaper TiVo HD and a large, quiet hard drive for less than half the cost of the Moxi. There are instructions on the Web for replacing the TiVo drive with the larger one (remember, it voids your warranty). In the end, you have an HD TiVo with a *larger* hard drive than the Moxi -- it's like buying a TiVo HD XL only CHEAPER! And you've saved enough money to *still* pay for TiVo's lifetime subscription service at a LOWER TOTAL COST than the Moxi. If you're not afraid of the inside of a computer (and don't care about the warranty), it's easy and cheap and the best option I've found as of October 2009. Good luck, and happy watching!
44 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse