Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Mr. Boston: Official Bartender's & Party Guide Hardcover – December 1, 2000
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
That aside, the book isn't a poor starter for someone who is just beginning. It has good advice on setting up a bar even if it is a little outdated, providing references to equipment that is no longer quite so commonly used.
The book claims to be "America's Favorite Drink Mixing Guide" and while it may be the most widely sold guide, I'd venture to say that many of those who purchase it are quite disappointed and reference it a lot less frequently that they envisioned.
* Decent overview of the basic essentials of tending bar: tools, party planning, etc.
* Encyclopedic breadth of recipes, both old and new. You wanna make an old fashioned sloe-gin fizz ? No problem. Want to know how to make "simple syrup" for Caribbean drinks and classic cocktails from the roaring 20's ? It's in there. Perhaps some haute toity blue blood, huffing a tiparillo behind a pair of 1950's vintage hornrims (and a pile of bar cash) wants a Pousse Café (one of the most anal-retentive and pretentious mixed drinks ever devised, BTW) ? No problemo, and don't forget to pour the different layers of chartreuse across a spoon to keep the layers distinct ... not that (in all reality) you'll ever actually get an order for one.
* Conveniently sized and fonted to provide maximum information in a small book ... that easily fits in a bar kit, behind a counter, or near a cash register. Well indexed too. In other words, this is a book designed for regular use and quick reference ... not for sitting idle on your coffee table.
* It's rather weak on instruction - but in the book's defense, it's a reference book by design, not an instructional book, and it's targeted for people who already know basic bartending.
* It's a bit weak on frozen/blended drink techniques - overdue for ergonomic update and expansion.
* It could include more information on various specialty liqueurs, and their flavor/usage.
* I'm slighly annoyed that despite 60+ reprintings, there are relatively few changes from revision to revision.Read more ›
While there are some very nice full color pictures in the guide all of them are
Actually adds for the Mr. Boston brand of spirits. Also some of the recipes call for the Mr. Boston brad name of a drink instead of the generic name of the alcohol this can be very confusing since Mr. Boston is not available in all areas
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great guide to have handy when making a cocktail. I found it to be very helpfulPublished 15 months ago by Tyrone W. Belton
Just what I wanted. Arrived quickly in good condition. Great price.Published 22 months ago by William H. Ruff
Had a copy of this years ago ... always came in handy then ... fun to make the "old" cocktails againPublished on April 14, 2014 by JAH
Lots of excellent information as well as all the drink concoctions you could ever want. Excellent reference on your bar top in the house.Published on April 2, 2013 by Rod Barker
I had the wrong book. What do I need to do to get the right one or my money back?Published on December 6, 2010 by Jurgen
I have a had one of these sence 72 just wanted to update for the price it can not be beatPublished on January 10, 2010 by R. Quillen