Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Color: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been using a Keurig coffee maker for 3 or 4 years. It's just about the most convenient way to brew a fresh cup of coffee. It's never burnt tasting like coffee that's been sitting in a heated coffee pot for hours and it's always fresh.

Mr Coffee has take the K-cup and made their own brewer around the Keurig technology. This is a simple to operate brewer that lacks some of the features that the Keurig brewer has, but really this lacks little in the coffee making department.

This brewer has a 40 ounce water reservoir with a nice handle built-in. The handle helps you to take the reservoir off the machine and to help you guide it back on the base. There is also a removable lid on the reservoir. I usually leave the reservoir on the machine and refill it by pouring water into it from the top. If you are worried about spiling water all over the place doing that, then it's also easy to remove the reservoir and fill it while it's sitting on the counter.

Mr. Coffee recommend you use bottled or filtered water but not distilled or reverse osmosis water (which removes important minerals that can add an important taste quality to the water). I use tap water but using tap water carries some risk of having the machine eventually get clogged up with mineral deposits. You can run vinegar through the machine every few months if you think that could be a problem.

When you turn the machine on the first time, a pump pulls water into the heating tank inside the unit. This takes a few minutes for it to reach temperature. After the first cup is brewed, the next cup will be ready to brew much more quickly.

The controls are relatively simple. There is an on/off/brew button. Below the on/off button is an LED light that indicates the machine is pre-heating. Once pre-heating has occurred, that light goes off and a light goes on around the on/button to indicate that you may now brew a cup of coffee. Below that are 3 -LEDs indicating brew size: either 6, 8 or 10 ounces. Brew size is selected by pushing button directly below the LED indicator lights.

Normally the mahine will stay on indefinitely unless you turn it off. However there is a "hidden" setting that will turn the brewer off after 2 hours of inactivity and that is set by simultaneously pressing the brew size button and the on/off button for about 5 seconds.

Another nice feature is the "inside-the-machine" power cord storage area. I do need to point out that the power cord length is pretty stingy at only 25" long. I can see where that might be a problem in some areas where you might be thinking of placing this.

I really enjoy the convenience of having freshly brewed coffee at a moments notice. It is my impression that the coffee from the Mr. Coffee brewer is a little hotter than the coffee from my Keurig brewer, though it's close. And if you don't wish to have the ongoing expense of buying K-cups, there is a solution for that too... you can get something called the "My K-Cup" Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter that allows you to use your own coffee in a reuseable coffee filter. It's a real money saver. There are other options too that some people prefer, like the ekobrew Ekobrew Cup, Refillable Cup for Keurig K-cup Brewers, Brown, 1-Count

It's not quite perfect though. The cycle time between your ability to make the next cup of coffee is longer than with my Keurig. It takes about 30-40 seconds to brew a cup of coffee and then about a minute or so before you can begin to brew the next cup. Overall responsiveness of the brew button leaves something to be desired as sometimes when I press it, nothing happens.

I really like the ease of operation and appearance of the Mr. Coffee single cup coffee maker. It gets a lot of use in my house.
3838 comments| 939 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have purchased 12 Keurigs since they first came out and have been largely pleased with them but accepted that they only seem to last a couple of years (yes I turn them off when not in use and only use filtered water). So when the Keurig at the shop kitchen went out, I jumped at the chance to try out the cheaper and higher rated Mr. Coffee.

Despite what some others have reported, ours brewed a very hot, tasty cup of coffee quickly. The brewing process is much quieter than the Keurig, it completely heated the water before it began brewing, and it brewed more quickly than the Keurig.

I've seen reviews that faulted this pot because it turns off automatically after four hours but it does so to save energy and lengthen brewer life. Consumer Reports checked out brew temperature on multiple pots and found it to meet industry guidelines of 195 degrees.

Two Year Addendum: The pot is still working great. A recent CR review knocked this brewer because of the time it takes to brew the first cup. Kind of sad that that's a criteria when we are talking about seconds. I replaced one of my ailing Keurigs with another Keurig model that looked the same as the one I was using but it was noticeably different. I got it for half the retail price at Sam's Club Auctions and less than this Mr. Coffee is selling for. Everything that was metal on the original was now plastic. The plastic water reservoir had been redesigned such that it was harder for me to slide it in place and the plastic was thinner so that I couldn't easily carry it with one hand when it was full of water. I'd rather have paid more for the Mr. Coffee.
22 comments| 484 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2016
I have purchased two, Mr. Coffee Single Serve Brewers within the last month, one from Wal Mart and one from Amazon. Both quit working within a few days of purchasing them. Neither made more than 5-6 cups of coffee total. I used bottled water and k-cups in both so I do not believe it was due to any fault of ours. With both brewers, the pump comes on but it doesn't pull any water from the reservoir into the machine, so nothing brews. It's also not a case of us not setting them up correctly, I know that because they each brewed a few cups before they quit working. I think they are faulty machines. I don't recommend them, at all. I guess I am back to searching for a decent single-serve machine.
VINE VOICEon May 2, 2015
After years of debating, I finally broke down and bought a Keurig coffee maker. Well, this is a Mr. Coffee coffee maker, which is a brand I have stuck with most of my adult life - and that's about 35 years of coffee drinking.

Since I only want one good cup of coffee a day, this single serve maker lets me indulge when I have my one cup.

This unit could not be simpler, but I wish the water carafe was easier to manage. It's kind of awkward feeling and I seriously hope I do not drop it and crack it or something. That worries me.

I get my one cup of hot coffee in about 30 seconds with this machine. It's hot but not too hot to begin drinking immediately. Now I am experimenting with coffees. Yes, it's more expensive than old coffee maker coffee. You are literally paying ten times the money for one tenth of the product. You are paying for the little plastic tubs the coffee comes in. For a few bucks you can invest in a plastic unit that works with your own coffee, but since I am in the honeymoon phase with my new coffeemaker, I am indulging myself and squandering hard earned money on 12 packs of single serve coffee varieties from many different brands.

I am indulging myself. This coffee maker makes me feel special. No more paper filters or coffee grounds in my cup for me. I hope this thing lasts. I hope it's not too good to be true. My husband hates it so our old coffee maker is still sitting on the kitchen counter next to this one. That's okay. We can't afford for both of us to drink expensive coffee sold in plastic shot-sized units. This is mine.

UPDATE: Bought this in April and don't even use it daily and now, in December, the pump stopped working. Good thing I kept my back-up coffee maker.
on October 8, 2016
Lasted for 3 days, 6 cups of coffee. Warranty not honored by Mr. Coffee

Received BVMC-KG6 from Amazon on October 5 2016.
Stopped working on October 7 2016.
I called Mr. Coffees Warranty number and talked to their Service Representative.
They asked me for the number found on one of the prongs of the power plug.
It was G146, I was told that this product is over one year old so is no longer Warranted.
I discarded the original packaging that this came in as it did work the first day out of the box.
Does Amazon allow returns if the original packaging/box it came is gone?
This also came with a box of 5 Keurig Brew cups past their expiration date.
A sticker on this box has a best used date of July 25 2015.
on July 25, 2016
Bought this for my husband for a Fathers Day gift. I had looked at so many and initially had planned on buying the Kurig brand. After reading lots of reviews on the Kurig brand, the most common complain seemed to be that you had to buy their k-cups which are more expensive. I read where there were ways to bypass that but really didn't want to have to rig it up to work. So glad I found this one!! It was cheaper than the Kurig brand ones and it does just as good. He loves it! We have used so many different brand k-cups as well as the k-cup you can get where you add regular coffee to it. He probably uses that the most but when we had just a regular coffee maker he was always making a whole pot but only drinking a cup or 2 so a lot got wasted not to mention the time it took to brew a whole pot. Now a container of coffee last so much longer because he makes a cup at a time and he loves that he is able to brew a cup within a minute of walking out the door. He says the coffee seems much smoother. The only cup is has not fit is his Yeti so if he wants to use that he just brews in a smaller cup and pours it in the Yeti.
on December 18, 2013
We had been using a small single-serve maker that uses the Senseo pods, which we love as well. The problem is if you need them on the spur of the moment, they aren't easily attainable. Local markets do stock them, but in very small quantities. Anyhow, we waited as long as we could to join the Keurig bandwagon since according to reviews, these machines are very unreliable and expensive.

I knew my wife was very interested because of the ease of use and all the different flavored coffees in ALL of the stores. I saw the price of this machine on Amazon and thought why not. It's reasonably priced so if it breaks in 6 months, at least we scratched the Keurig itch. So far we have no complaints.

I really enjoy the 40oz. water reservoir. With the Senseo we had to pour measured water in each time. I love being able to pop a k-cup in and just hit a button and have a cup of great coffee a minute later.

Some basic overall points:

1) If you are like me and need your coffee steaming hot (hate lukewarm coffee and tea), what I've found is that the coffee produced is hot enough if you're drinking it without cream or milk. If you do add those things then you will likely need to nuke the coffee for 30 seconds or so to make up for the cold creamer.

2)There is no off switch. The machine keeps water at a constant temperature. Obviously, if this concerns you electricity wise you can unplug the machine when not in use and it doesn't take long for the machine to heat the water.

NOTE: Here's an odd tip. If you do unplug the machine as I do, when you go to make a cup make sure you plug the machine in and turn it on first before loading the K-cup. If you try to grab a k-cup and load it before plugging machine in then it won't begin to brew when you hit the start button. You then have to open the cup holder and close it again before brewing.

3) Very easy machine to use. This isn't one of those Keurig machines with the blue screen with all the options. On this one you have a button to pick size of cup you want (6 oz, 8 oz, etc) and the start button which turns machine on when it has been unplugged and begins the brew cycle.

4) If you care about such things, it's an impressive looking machine on your counter top. I also have the spinning chrome k-cup holder that holds 30 or so cups in it sitting right next to the machine on the granite counter top and it's like having a coffee house in your kitchen. This is a very solid looking machine with a decent sized footprint. Again, I'm coming from a small senseo single serve pod machine so maybe that's why this one stands out as so large and bulky to me.

5) One final tip. If for some reason the machine doesn't spit any coffee out once you've started the brewing process, check the bottom of the k-cup. On one of mine the hole punched on the bottom of the cup ended up not being large enough and I guess the pressure of the backup forced the machine to stop the brewing. That's only happened once to us so far.

At the end of the day I'd recommend this machine. It's reasonably priced, has performed well so far, fits any size cup, easy to use, etc. Based on reviews for these type of machines and how often they break down, I'd be happy to get a year out of this one based on the price. We shall see.
on September 11, 2016
After reading the reviews and feeling more and more dissatisfied with my Keurig brand brewer, and the price, I thought this would be worth a try. 6 months later it's DOA, it just pumps water out the bottom. I'm waiting to hear back from Jarden - I tried the online chat which is a huge waste of time - it's buggy and kicked me off in the middle of a chat several times. A few times I would get to the #1 spot and it would say there were no agents available try again later. The agent did tell me the brewers ARE WAY OLDER THAN THE PURCHASE DATE. We will see if it's an issue for the warranty.

I'm kind of glad it's dead, I never really liked it as well as the real thing. Mostly little annoying things. Like when you buy a pair of cheap sunglasses. They work but...

It took too long to heat up, it was such a tease - it sat there looking ready to brew but as soon as I needed a cup it would have to heat which took way longer than the Keurig ever did. It has a setting to put it to sleep or something but that wasn't the problem, I tried both options.

Our coffee maker is on a side table so the cord needs to be able to reach a standard height outlet from a standard height table, it's about 2" short. Every other coffee maker we have had for 15 years can reach. This detail - saving 2" of electrical cord probably saves the company thousands, and let's them sell this model for a few bucks less. If your coffee maker is directly in front of an outlet, then no worries.

In summary
Dead after 6 months
Slow to brew (even after the water is hot)
Slow to heat
The styling is OK
The cup size selector is a thumbs down - especially for a blearry eyed sleepy person trying to get coffee
The cord is ridiculously short

I will not buy this again. If they warranty it out and send me a new one, I'll keep it as a back up.
on September 22, 2014
Works great. Solidly built and at a reasonable cost. I knew I didn't want the new 2.0 system. For one it's too expensive. Secondly it takes special k-cups. The new 2.0 kcups have some kind of copy protection scheme. You can't just use any kcups. The new ones have some kind of sensor in the foil--meaning the company gave Keurig a kickback for the right to make the 2.0 kcup. I suppose Keurig is worried about "unauthorized" kcups on the market. Of course it just came out and people have already circumvented the "DRM". Sorry, I don't need a coffee pot that is locked down tighter than an iPhone. C'mon Keurig!!!

That's what drew me to the Mr. Coffee. It takes any kcup and even the "My K-cup" for use with my own coffee. It's perfect in the morning to make a quick cup of coffee on my way out the door.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon December 31, 2014
A better Keurig isn't actually a Keurig... So I purchased a Keurig Knock-Off, which is actually better rated than Keurig. Keurig themselves have had a terrible reputation mostly because of 2.0 only using 'their' branded cups. Also some recalls due to product flaws. Mr Coffee makes a Keurig better than Keurig. 40oz Water Tank, uses any cups, multiple strength selection, height adjustment, and supposedly build like a tank.

It's so versatile I don't see why anyone would need anything else. If you leave cups out you can brew hot water for your tea bags in seconds. That's assuming you don't want to use tea k-cups. So it functions as a hot water dispenser as well.

Some Keurig (Mr. Coffee) tips.. 1) If you brew tea like I do, set the first cup at 8oz, then you can brew two fresh 8oz cups before disposal. Or you can set first cup at 8oz, then two 'warming' cups to keep your tea warm, and topped off at 6oz each. This extends the use of a single cup tremendously. 2) For Coffee it gets weak too quick, so set the first cup at 8oz, then dial down to 6oz for a 'warming' top off, then discard the cup. A single tea K-Cup costs about 35 cents, and you can get 2-3 cups of tea out of each one. Not bad! 3) For hot water open the device, remove K-Cup, close it and brew hot water for cocoa, tea bags, oatmeal, etc.