Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Color: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been using a Keurig coffee maker for 3 or 4 years. It's just about the most convenient way to brew a fresh cup of coffee. It's never burnt tasting like coffee that's been sitting in a heated coffee pot for hours and it's always fresh.

Mr Coffee has take the K-cup and made their own brewer around the Keurig technology. This is a simple to operate brewer that lacks some of the features that the Keurig brewer has, but really this lacks little in the coffee making department.

This brewer has a 40 ounce water reservoir with a nice handle built-in. The handle helps you to take the reservoir off the machine and to help you guide it back on the base. There is also a removable lid on the reservoir. I usually leave the reservoir on the machine and refill it by pouring water into it from the top. If you are worried about spiling water all over the place doing that, then it's also easy to remove the reservoir and fill it while it's sitting on the counter.

Mr. Coffee recommend you use bottled or filtered water but not distilled or reverse osmosis water (which removes important minerals that can add an important taste quality to the water). I use tap water but using tap water carries some risk of having the machine eventually get clogged up with mineral deposits. You can run vinegar through the machine every few months if you think that could be a problem.

When you turn the machine on the first time, a pump pulls water into the heating tank inside the unit. This takes a few minutes for it to reach temperature. After the first cup is brewed, the next cup will be ready to brew much more quickly.

The controls are relatively simple. There is an on/off/brew button. Below the on/off button is an LED light that indicates the machine is pre-heating. Once pre-heating has occurred, that light goes off and a light goes on around the on/button to indicate that you may now brew a cup of coffee. Below that are 3 -LEDs indicating brew size: either 6, 8 or 10 ounces. Brew size is selected by pushing button directly below the LED indicator lights.

Normally the mahine will stay on indefinitely unless you turn it off. However there is a "hidden" setting that will turn the brewer off after 2 hours of inactivity and that is set by simultaneously pressing the brew size button and the on/off button for about 5 seconds.

Another nice feature is the "inside-the-machine" power cord storage area. I do need to point out that the power cord length is pretty stingy at only 25" long. I can see where that might be a problem in some areas where you might be thinking of placing this.

I really enjoy the convenience of having freshly brewed coffee at a moments notice. It is my impression that the coffee from the Mr. Coffee brewer is a little hotter than the coffee from my Keurig brewer, though it's close. And if you don't wish to have the ongoing expense of buying K-cups, there is a solution for that too... you can get something called the "My K-Cup" Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter that allows you to use your own coffee in a reuseable coffee filter. It's a real money saver. There are other options too that some people prefer, like the ekobrew Ekobrew Cup, Refillable Cup for Keurig K-cup Brewers, Brown, 1-Count

It's not quite perfect though. The cycle time between your ability to make the next cup of coffee is longer than with my Keurig. It takes about 30-40 seconds to brew a cup of coffee and then about a minute or so before you can begin to brew the next cup. Overall responsiveness of the brew button leaves something to be desired as sometimes when I press it, nothing happens.

I really like the ease of operation and appearance of the Mr. Coffee single cup coffee maker. It gets a lot of use in my house.
946 people found this helpful
|3838 comments|Report abuse
I have purchased 12 Keurigs since they first came out and have been largely pleased with them but accepted that they only seem to last a couple of years (yes I turn them off when not in use and only use filtered water). So when the Keurig at the shop kitchen went out, I jumped at the chance to try out the cheaper and higher rated Mr. Coffee.

Despite what some others have reported, ours brewed a very hot, tasty cup of coffee quickly. The brewing process is much quieter than the Keurig, it completely heated the water before it began brewing, and it brewed more quickly than the Keurig.

I've seen reviews that faulted this pot because it turns off automatically after four hours but it does so to save energy and lengthen brewer life. Consumer Reports checked out brew temperature on multiple pots and found it to meet industry guidelines of 195 degrees.

Two Year Addendum: The pot is still working great. A recent CR review knocked this brewer because of the time it takes to brew the first cup. Kind of sad that that's a criteria when we are talking about seconds. I replaced one of my ailing Keurigs with another Keurig model that looked the same as the one I was using but it was noticeably different. I got it for half the retail price at Sam's Club Auctions and less than this Mr. Coffee is selling for. Everything that was metal on the original was now plastic. The plastic water reservoir had been redesigned such that it was harder for me to slide it in place and the plastic was thinner so that I couldn't easily carry it with one hand when it was full of water. I'd rather have paid more for the Mr. Coffee.
490 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on February 25, 2016
I had this product since June 2014 and really like the convenience and use, especially at the price compared to an actual Keurig. In the last month, however, it developed a leak that I didn't notice until I saw rust stains developing in the underside. Now it is a fire hazard and not safe to use; the damage is substantial as seen in the picture. My father also had the exact machine that fell to a similar occurrence. It was a really good coffee maker and I would consider buying one again...
review image
12 people found this helpful
on October 8, 2016
Lasted for 3 days, 6 cups of coffee. Warranty not honored by Mr. Coffee

Received BVMC-KG6 from Amazon on October 5 2016.
Stopped working on October 7 2016.
I called Mr. Coffees Warranty number and talked to their Service Representative.
They asked me for the number found on one of the prongs of the power plug.
It was G146, I was told that this product is over one year old so is no longer Warranted.
I discarded the original packaging that this came in as it did work the first day out of the box.
Does Amazon allow returns if the original packaging/box it came is gone?
This also came with a box of 5 Keurig Brew cups past their expiration date.
A sticker on this box has a best used date of July 25 2015.
7 people found this helpful
on May 14, 2016
This is an updated review. I have owned *SEVERAL K-cup & Keurig-licensed machines over the yrs! Having purchased this unit in March of 2016, I was thrilled that at 1/3rd the price of my actual broken old former Keurig brand K-cup Machine, that *this* Mr. Coffee unit seemed to be more robust and sturdy, as well as the sound and noises that this unit made were "healthier and more robust" than my prvs Keurig and Cuisinart single-serve k-cup units. *Those* machines seemed to wheeze and work harder at the task of brewing a good cup...*now* it's the end of September, 2016 and the unit died over a month ago, refuses to push water threw to brew... and I have done *everything* the Mfr. says to do to clean and unclog the unit. kaput! I bought this thing when it was first offered at a good price... like $57 ... now I see they're asking you for circa $80... I'm not sure that *any* of these single-serve-brewer-machines, as a group, can *EVER* BE RELIABLE, the technology/design/durability factor, after well over a decade, just isn't there. In 6 months-to-maybe over two years: plan on buying a
replacement, REGARDLESS of whose unit you buy!
4 people found this helpful
on December 4, 2016
You get what you pay for. I chose this one because I just want a basic K-cup coffee maker with no frills. All I want it to do is make a cup of coffee when I press the button and it can't even do that. I've only had it about 3 months. I make 5-8 cups per week with it (in my office). It worked ok for the first month then about every week and a half it will stop working. It will just dribble out a few ounces. Its not a descaling issue (I tried that). I think it just gets clogged. You can hear the pump running, but not see it pulling any water from the reservoir. I have to run several cups of just water through to get it working again. Its a real pain when I get in to work and need to grab a quick cup of coffee and can't get one and have to wait a few hours until I have time to fix it.
Also, when it is working, the amount it dispenses are very inconsistent from one cup to the next - especially if you are changing the serving size at all. Its like changing the serving sizes messes up its memory of what each serving size is supposed to be.
Following the instructions on the side of the machine I was never able to get the auto shut-off to work, so I have to hold the button in for 5 second to always turn it off otherwise it never shuts off.
I have 3 different travel mugs - none of them fit underneath it even with the stand removed.
I'll be purchasing a more expensive and more dependable replacement.
3 people found this helpful
on July 3, 2016
I have purchased two, Mr. Coffee Single Serve Brewers within the last month, one from Wal Mart and one from Amazon. Both quit working within a few days of purchasing them. Neither made more than 5-6 cups of coffee total. I used bottled water and k-cups in both so I do not believe it was due to any fault of ours. With both brewers, the pump comes on but it doesn't pull any water from the reservoir into the machine, so nothing brews. It's also not a case of us not setting them up correctly, I know that because they each brewed a few cups before they quit working. I think they are faulty machines. I don't recommend them, at all. I guess I am back to searching for a decent single-serve machine.
5 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
After years of debating, I finally broke down and bought a Keurig coffee maker. Well, this is a Mr. Coffee coffee maker, which is a brand I have stuck with most of my adult life - and that's about 35 years of coffee drinking.

Since I only want one good cup of coffee a day, this single serve maker lets me indulge when I have my one cup.

This unit could not be simpler, but I wish the water carafe was easier to manage. It's kind of awkward feeling and I seriously hope I do not drop it and crack it or something. That worries me.

I get my one cup of hot coffee in about 30 seconds with this machine. It's hot but not too hot to begin drinking immediately. Now I am experimenting with coffees. Yes, it's more expensive than old coffee maker coffee. You are literally paying ten times the money for one tenth of the product. You are paying for the little plastic tubs the coffee comes in. For a few bucks you can invest in a plastic unit that works with your own coffee, but since I am in the honeymoon phase with my new coffeemaker, I am indulging myself and squandering hard earned money on 12 packs of single serve coffee varieties from many different brands.

I am indulging myself. This coffee maker makes me feel special. No more paper filters or coffee grounds in my cup for me. I hope this thing lasts. I hope it's not too good to be true. My husband hates it so our old coffee maker is still sitting on the kitchen counter next to this one. That's okay. We can't afford for both of us to drink expensive coffee sold in plastic shot-sized units. This is mine.

UPDATE: Bought this in April and don't even use it daily and now, in December, the pump stopped working. Good thing I kept my back-up coffee maker.
5 people found this helpful
on December 14, 2016
The System drips a great amount of clear water all over the kitchen counter no matter what brand of coffee cups I used. Online chat customer service is very poor, the chat rep told me today (December 2016) that the system is too old ( was bought in July 2015), and that I should buy a new one.
Update Dec 24/2016 Mr Coffee sent me a new reservoir only to have a countertop full of leaked water again. Phone customer server is very poor. Very poor, unpolished, uncaring, customer reps both on the phone and on the chat line. I would NOT recommend this product as other customers have noted the leak issue . the leak issue is well known to the company, but the company (either Mr Coffee, or Keurig who is the manufacturer) is doing nothing to fix the problem. If you call to complain , do NOT wasite your time completing the survey after the call, this is only a cheap, meanigless psychological tactic
4 people found this helpful
on September 11, 2016
After reading the reviews and feeling more and more dissatisfied with my Keurig brand brewer, and the price, I thought this would be worth a try. 6 months later it's DOA, it just pumps water out the bottom. I'm waiting to hear back from Jarden - I tried the online chat which is a huge waste of time - it's buggy and kicked me off in the middle of a chat several times. A few times I would get to the #1 spot and it would say there were no agents available try again later. The agent did tell me the brewers ARE WAY OLDER THAN THE PURCHASE DATE. We will see if it's an issue for the warranty.

I'm kind of glad it's dead, I never really liked it as well as the real thing. Mostly little annoying things. Like when you buy a pair of cheap sunglasses. They work but...

It took too long to heat up, it was such a tease - it sat there looking ready to brew but as soon as I needed a cup it would have to heat which took way longer than the Keurig ever did. It has a setting to put it to sleep or something but that wasn't the problem, I tried both options.

Our coffee maker is on a side table so the cord needs to be able to reach a standard height outlet from a standard height table, it's about 2" short. Every other coffee maker we have had for 15 years can reach. This detail - saving 2" of electrical cord probably saves the company thousands, and let's them sell this model for a few bucks less. If your coffee maker is directly in front of an outlet, then no worries.

In summary
Dead after 6 months
Slow to brew (even after the water is hot)
Slow to heat
The styling is OK
The cup size selector is a thumbs down - especially for a blearry eyed sleepy person trying to get coffee
The cord is ridiculously short

I will not buy this again. If they warranty it out and send me a new one, I'll keep it as a back up.
2 people found this helpful