- File Size: 251 KB
- Print Length: 84 pages
- Publication Date: March 8, 2011
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B004R9Q8II
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,296,095 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
|Print List Price:||$7.95|
Save $4.96 (62%)
Mrs. Hewitt's Barbeque - Seven Eclectic Tales of Food, Humor, and Love Kindle Edition
This month's Book With Buzz: "The Silent Corner" by Dean Koontz
A dazzling new series, a pure adrenaline rush, debuts with Jane Hawk, a remarkable heroine certain to become an icon of suspense. See more
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top Customer Reviews
To continue with the food theme that is found in most of these tales, the short stories here are like an interesting plate of hors d'oeuvres. Each has its own distinctive taste and texture. Readers will find some more appealing than others, but there is something to recommend each offering and together they make up a feast.
My favorite is "Mrs. Hewitt's Barbeque," a moving story of the longing for a significant human connection that resides within us all. Sprinkled with a totally different mixture of spices, "A Bee Buzzed" presents a sardonic look at a very localized occurrence of the Butterfly Effect. Nicely done. The comical view of protesters in "Chains" leaves a delightful taste on the tongue.
Ms Allen's strength is in her characterizations, and all of these stories feature memorable ones whose voices ring true. We either know these people or wish we did.
All in all, _Mrs. Hewitt's Barbeque_ offers a collation to tempt even the most exacting palate.
Many of the stories speak directly to the sacred place in my food-loving heart. Handcrafted pierogi, toffee & chocolate chip cookies, smokey barbeque, and roasted duck are just a few of the delicacies that had me dreaming all day of what to make for dinner.
The title aptly holds the word "eclectic" too. I got some chuckles and laughs out of "Dottie's Dachshunds," the reuben story, and "Chains." "Mrs. Kelly's Ghosts" is very poignant and sad, but I wouldn't have missed it. It might be my favorite, simply because Ms. Allen draws Mrs. Kelly's character so compellingly. :) And some of the characters in "Mrs. Kelly's Ghosts" also enjoy scrumptious foods, which helps to win me over.
Well, I'm off to the kitchen!
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Humor & Entertainment > Humor > Cooking
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories & Anthologies > Short Stories
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Contemporary Women
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Short Stories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Women's Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories > Single Authors
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Humor
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Short Stories