Hill Climb Racing 2 Vehicles Review Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

on March 17, 2015
Fun writing, more about himself than the actual bike ride though. I wanted details like milage and how in the hell the baby handled the trailer so well! Mine would have cried too much to rack up the miles they did.
on December 26, 2014
Informative for those contemplating an extensive cycletouring adventure and humorous for all. Overall, a very heart-warming book.
on February 26, 2015
What a brave adventure! It was exciting and laugh out loud funny! Well written too.
on August 4, 2013
Thats about it. It`s ok but not what I expected out of a travel book. And I didn`t like the second narrative of his wife.
on August 5, 2014
Exceptional story about the adventures of one family as they cycle through Canada, have an adventure & make memories. The book is candid, funny and beautifully written.
on May 18, 2011
I really, really wanted to like this book. I'd read two others by the author and thoroughly enjoyed them. This one was such a letdown. Try picture yourself being trapped in a small room with a boring neighbor and being forced to watch hours of slides from their last vacation to Pig's Knuckle, Arkansas. This wasn't a great bike book as much as it was two individuals telling a story of their family vacation. The footnotes were irritating and not nearly as "cutesy" as they tried to be. Imagine sitting at an elegant restaurant with a married couple who are telling you about their trip and one keeps interrupting the other with comments that she thinks are hilarious. Now picture that your meal has already been brought to you so it's too late to escape.

Your family is only precious to you. Inflicting stories about them is mind-blowingly dull. I'm so sorry I wasted money on this book.
on December 27, 2012
This is a great book! Joe never disappoints. Lots of fun tales of his family adventure. A great read even for non-cyclists.
on May 21, 2016
When writers drop Jesus Christ and other gratuitous epitaphs, especially in the beginning of their adventure, they quickly loose me. Plus, Joe's writing style was jerky and just didn't jibe with my reading style (a la Jill Homer, Paul Theroux). To be fair, I only made it through a few chapters before hanging it.
on June 9, 2012
I couldn't put this book down. It's an enjoyable family adventure story that made me want to give my own epic family trip a shot.
on May 6, 2013
When it comes to memoirs, I tend not to dwell on the writing quality if the author has an engaging story to tell. There is no one-to-one correlation between a person with a fantastic story and a person who is a fantastic writer. For about 3/4 of this book, I held to this ideal. And there was no reason not to: this is a book about a great adventure. It's the type of adventure I live vicariously through because I'd rather be strung upside down by my toenails than bike with my entire family across Canada. I take that back. Biking across Canada would, no doubt, be an experience that would transform my soul, while being strung upside down by my toenails would just be painful.

For that first 3/4 of the book, I put up with the rabbit trails (how he met his wife, for example) because the author is funny, and I enjoy revelling in personality types that are opposite to mine. He's male, adventurous, and spontaneous; I'm female, wimpy, and locked to my routine. However, the book just kept rambling. I got to the point where I put it aside because I was tired of the author and his story. Then, about six months later, I picked it up again and finished it.

It's not a bad story. It contains many highlights. I didn't find myself hating the author as I do with narcissistic memoirists (I noticed other reviewers had called the author a narcissist, and I'm going to say that's a faulty personality analysis.) But somebody (editor or author) should have cut out a number of scenes.